+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruelty to Daleks

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Default Cruelty to Daleks

WARNING ON DALEK TORTURE

Children have been banned from buying the new Dr Who series because it shows cruelty to Daleks.

The British Board of Film Classification has ruled shops cannot sell videos or DVDs to children aged under 12.

The Dalek episode, which will be screened on television in June, shows the last Dalek in the universe imprisoned and chained by a billionaire.

He tortures it with drills and the Doctor taunts the defenceless Dalek, saying he has wiped out its race.

A spokesman for the film board told The Times: "However cross one might be with a Dalek, being cruel is not the way to deal with the issue.

"A good role model should not use torture to satisfy his desire for revenge.

"It is not an acceptable way to deal with problems of power."

Censors say the programme sets a bad example to children because it implies the only way to resolve disputes is through force and cruelty.

The Dalek eventually kills itself after acquiring human traits.

The board's DVD 12 certificate allows for "sustained, moderate threat and menace. Occasional gory moments only".
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...349833,00.html

Default Re: Cruelty to Daleks

Who is Dr. Who?

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Seriously? I guess it was never that big in the USA...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

http://www.tvtome.com/DoctorWho/

For the uninitiated, Doctor Who is the longest-running science fiction TV series in history, airing from 1963 to 1989 in its native United Kingdom (followed by occasional specials and a TV-movie revival attempt). Almost uniquely, its format was of a series of serials, usually lasting for either four or six episodes; there were the occasional two-parters, five-parters and seven-parters, and one one-parter, ten-parter and twelve-parter.

I am rather shocked that anyone on these boards would not know what Dr. Who is.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Who is Dr. Who?

I know people who would punch you for saying that...repeatedly.

I'm not ahuge Dr.Who fan but any sci-fi junkie knows at least who he is. He's not big in the states but has quite a strong following spurred by the series once being on various cable and public TV channels, VHS and now DVD sales and the good ole internet.

I remember the first time seeing Dr.Who, it was on after Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, haha.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I don't whether I am more boggled by the censorship of tormenting something that looks like an office trashcan or that anyone into fandom stuff doesn't know what Dr. Who is. I guess I'm just pretty boggled right now. Maybe that would bother kids though or teach them bad values. There are certainly shows I consider more damaging though (Punk'd and its poor cousin Con come to mind) so wow. Maybe they don't get those in the UK though.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I don't know who Dr Who is, I only have the technical manual and have seen quite a few of the episodes (quality PBS programming). I still love the episodes with the giant flying maggots.

That episode has already been screened in the UK. You do actually feel sorry for the Dalek. Sniff.

+ Reply to Thread