+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piercings

Default Piercings

Anyone know anything about piercings?

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Piercings

once again,that's like "walking into a bar and asking if anybody drinks"......

many ,many people here know more than you could ever think possible......

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

what do you wanna know?

Sorry. Hold on, Im at work , I will be right back

I have had my navel pierced, my tongue, my nipples, my nose and an industrial in my ear. I clean them as advised and do everything I'm told. Nomatter how careful I am, they do not heal. My navel got so bad it tried forcing itsself through the bottom whole. I was told I may be allergic to sergical or stainless steel and to try titanium. Well the guy at the shop is having a hard time getting my navel ring and told me if I could buy it he would pierce it for less. Here is my question. Is titanium plated stainless steel the same as titanium or is it like stainless steel. I am having a hard time finding a plain titanium ring/barbell.

hole*

Devil13, you there?

well if its titanium plated its just going to be the outside of it is titanium and not solid titanium. that should be OK if you are allergic to stainless. but the naval does take a long time to heal. mine got infected once and it took longer to heal than it should have. what do you use to clean it with? that may also be the problem.

I was told to use dial soap. Once it got infected i was told to use sea salt

tHe salt didnt help.It hurt like hell. I couldnt bend over to take my shoes off. I finally decided I had no choice but to take it back. I finally gave up on it healing but I coulndt get it out it hurt too bad. I went to a tattoo shop and the guy there took it our for me.

So really, I would probably be better off sticking with Titanium. Nothing that is related to stainless steel.

So. Cal. Tattoo has titanium and they can also get you better soap than Dial

really? i thought you were only supposed to use dial. shows how much this 2o yr old knows. well thanks for your help.

Dial is a good antibacterial soap but it can cause an allergic reaction.

where is so cal tattoo

Im in mississippi.

Southern California

haha well I wish I was in cali instead of here.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

just a thought, over-taking care of stuff can be just as bad as doing nothing at all.......

that's what most people do.....

look for dr. brandt anti-irritant cleanser it a good product to use

Yeah but I cleaned it from anywhere from 2-3 times a day and when that didnt work on my next piercing i would clean 4-5 times and so on until finally someone at the shop suggested i may be allergic

look at what is in the soap. there is still stuff in it you can be allergic to.

I have used the soap before and it has never caused any irritation.

has any of your prior jewelry caused you any irritation?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I'm not a pro piercer and I'm sure some of the folks here that are will poke into this thread with wise advice soon enough, but I was given a bottle of this First Defence stuff last time I was visiting a friend at a great piercing shop in Hollywood. It might be better than simple soap. The swear by it, but I'm sure if you are allergic to specific metals, it makes sence to get something that is solidly not going to be a problem.

http://www.bravesoldier.com/p_first.defense.cfm

Thats what I figured but I couldnt find anything. The piercer at the shop said something about the guy who orders the stuff hasnt been in. I dont know. I hate living in MS. There is nothing to do and there are less places like tattoo shops. Im from dallas and i would have already had my titanium ring by now

Titainium jewelry is solid and not plated. I know someone that only uses gold because everything else irratates them. Antibacterial soap is not really what you want. There is good bacteria that will help you heal. Instead of sea salt mixed yourself, you could get a sea salt product. I like to use H2ocean. It doesn't hurt at all and actually feels good on sore piercings. Don't move the jewelry around. Each time you move it you are pulling bacteria into the wound. You won't heal to jewelry as some may claim. Thats why people use highly polished quality jewelry. Very few people have a reaction to titainium. It is often used in medical implants. I recomend www.leroi.com or www.tribalectic.com for great quality jewelry.

Thank you Pagan. Can I ask another question. Which would be better: a barbell or a ring? Or does it matter... Thanks again

for your belly? definatley a "bent barbell, curve, banannabell" These are all the same thing. Different companies use different terms. It looks like a semi circle. You most likely have a 14 gauge. A 7/16 curve would be top pick for navel piercing. (or if your navel is tiny a 3/8, if it's large maybe a 1/2) It lays nice with the body. A ring would stick out to much and irratate the already irratated piercing. You can get a ring when your all healed up but for now I would stick with the curve. They look nicer anyway in my opinion. Plus you can get balls with different colors, stones, decorations etc. and be able to change them yourself. A ring would require you going back to the piercing shop to change. Or a friend with a very steady hand.
    Last edited by pagan; 06-06-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: bad grammar.

No, Im not tiny. I like the curved better but this guy said he prefers to pierce with rings. I dont think i want to go to him to get pierced. Im kinda weary now.

Im scared to get pierced now. I t doesnt sound like this guy knew what he was talking about.

You know the first time I had my navel the chic who pierced it used a ring that is the same size my ex had in his eyebrow. Im like 5'9 160 so Im not skiiny and dont need a small ring.

ask to see his portfolio. Great pierces have them and their work speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    No, Im not tiny. I like the curved better but this guy said he prefers to pierce with rings. I dont think i want to go to him to get pierced. Im kinda weary now.
    yea you should allways feel comfotable with your peircer. you should also check into how their work environment is, what products they use, and why they use them.

I watched him pierce a labret (not sure of spelling, give soem credit its monday) and it took like 20 minutes. I know when my ex got his done, it took no time at all and he did a great job.

some*

Alright... Thanks for all of your help guys. I get to go home for the day. Have a nice night.

no problem

ouch,... be careful.. a labret does not take 20 minutes. I don't want to bad talk a piercer I don't know but.. You really need to be comfortable with the person who pierces you. Talk to people in your area and see where they go. How long has this guy been piercing? Where and from who did he learn? Have a full, real conversation with him and you can pick up if he knows what he is talking about of just thinks he does. Make sure he uses a 14 gauge needle for 14 gauge jewelry. A common mistake is to use a 12 gauge needle for 14 gauge jewelry. That is not ok. That leaves a open wound. Most important is being clean. I cannot stress clean enough. As a piercer friend of mine always says "hepetitus is the new aids". (check out his work at www.straighttothepoint.org ) I work in the industry and have seen alot of bad work done. Please don't let this scare you away from getting it. Just be informed clean and safe. Also, do a search for piercing forums. Don't take my word for anything.

Pagan: That is the first thing that concerned me. I know when my ex had his labret pierced in was done right and took no time at all. My industrial did not even take that long and that did take a little more time and attention. Most piercers I have met are the funniest guys and make me feel so relaxed and comfortable. I didnt get that smae vibe from this one. Don't get me wrong, he was a nice guy just not sure about his work. I just moved here from Dallas, and there aren't many shops around. I was referred to one in paticular, but one of my friends recently picked up hepetitus after leaving there. I am shy when I first meet new people, so it is harder for me to go up and start asking him all of these questions althought its not worth putting off. I am attracted to most piercers, they have the best personalities but this one wasnt the same.

+ Reply to Thread