+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mine Is Bigger Than Yours

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Mine Is Bigger Than Yours

Ya know what I find really weird. Some people just have to make things a contest. I'm always trying to beat my own high score, not trying to beat the next guy.

If someone is my friend, I don't think about things like who is more accomplished, who is prettier, who is more intelligent, who has more fans etc. We are all supposed to be on the same side.

If I am doing business with someone, I think about what we have to offer one another that will benefit both of us. I don't think about who is actually bigger in the greater scheme of things.

I actually had an ad sales rep boast to me today that the entire NETWORK of sites he reps gets 1.2 to 2 million visitors A MONTH. And he was talking down to me. That is some serious comedy. I just wanted to get ad rates so I could give the company he works for some money, only he kept going on and on about the tiny network he represents and presenting the pricing in such a disorganized way that there would be no way any rational person could make a purchasing decision from his data. The guy was so rude that I finally asked him if maybe I'd been a guest at a convention near him and been on a panel he wanted to be on or had perhaps slept with his girlfriend when I lived in the DC/Baltimore area where he now is. I pointed out to him that his demeanor was not really normal for an advertising sales rep and asked him what was with the bizarre attitude. I was attempting to lighten the mood of the conversation while pointing out that he really needed to be more professional and organized to make the sale. Only he went totally BESERK that I asked if maybe I slept with his girlfriend. Said I was making assumptions. I was just reacting to bizarre rudeness from a stranger.

I don't think his girlfriend was that good in bed because I don't remember her at all.

Default Re: Mine Is Bigger Than Yours

Hahahaha... That's muh girl..

What the fuck is it with "Professionals"!?

Even lawyers can't give you a straight answer these days!!! I HATE THAT!!!

I find it weird that the only comment that upset him was the one about sleeping with his girlfriend.. ha.. Most men would be all over that. ahahahahahaha.. I know I would be.. hehehe

memorydream's Avatar Sage

What an interesting story. With a lot of morals in it, from it, good and bad. As you say, this salesman did seem bizarre. Your response seemed relevant, down-to-earth and funny though.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

He was probably trying to be culturally sensitive and empathetic by giving you L.A. attitude. More practice needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Szandora
    Hahahaha... That's muh girl..

What the fuck is it with "Professionals"!?

I find it weird that the only comment that upset him was the one about sleeping with his girlfriend.. ha.. Most men would be all over that. ahahahahahaha.. I know I would be.. hehehe
    Maybe he wasn't enough for his woman once she got a taste of Amelia!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    He was probably trying to be culturally sensitive and empathetic by giving you L.A. attitude. More practice needed...
    Ooh, this was the best. He told me that maybe Baltimore wasn't my stomping grounds any more because people there don't put up with crap. Ba aha ha aha aha aha ha How funny is that! I know most people consider Los Angeles a step down from Baltimore and definitely people in Los Angeles have a lot of patience for people who waste time bragging poorly, when they could be making a sale. NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Maybe he wasn't enough for his woman once she got a taste of Amelia!

Jeez.. What man would be!?

hahahhaa

Dark Z's Avatar Anime or Guns? Hmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Szandora

I could say that it depends on what you mean by a "straight answer"...

but that would just prove your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Z
    I could say that it depends on what you mean by a "straight answer"...

but that would just prove your point.
    Heh, are you practicing law or in school? My father is a lawyer and it is impossible to win an argument with him, but his answers are awfully clear. I think his example is why I find it hard to locate the perfect lawyer to keep on retainer for day-to-day stuff.

Dark Z's Avatar Anime or Guns? Hmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Heh, are you practicing law or in school? My father is a lawyer and it is impossible to win an argument with him, but his answers are awfully clear. I think his example is why I find it hard to locate the perfect lawyer to keep on retainer for day-to-day stuff.
    heh, I'm still in school (Final year) but I'm working at the county DA's office so I can get some good trial experience.

The pay sucks, but my boss is awesome. I've learned more from him in 2 months than in 2 years of Law School. I mean there are things you've just got to see to learn, like how to prep a witness, and defeat other lawyers without pissing them off (because you're gonna have to deal with them later on future cases).

but I've got to admit that straight answers don't come easy anymore. Nowadays, whenever anyone asks me a question, the first thing I say is "It depends" then I ask for more info.

Even for something as simple as: Is Killing people legal?

I mean two years ago I would have just said "No, WTF's amatter with you, of course it's not legal."

But now I'd be like: "it depends, was the person defending themselves, or acting as part of their job?".

it's not that lawyers are pompous jackasses... they're just being thorough. (well, I'm an insufferable know-it-all so I guess that DOES make me a pompous jackass, but otherwise most lawyers are cool.)

+ Reply to Thread