+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Requiem For A Dream

Default Requiem For A Dream

Everytime I watch it it, I feel just as emotionally drained and beat up as the first time I saw it.
    The acting and cinematography are just amazing, as well as the score.

Anyone else appreciate this film?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Requiem For A Dream

drugs are bad, mkay. reminds me of a saterday afternoon special.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Never really saw it as a Drugs Are Bad movie but more of a Addiction is Bad movie...the film has no impact on me anymore though. IFC showed it so many times it lost all its meaning. It's the DIE HARD of the Indie Film world.

Still the first time I saw it I felt that punch it was going for and enjoyed it. Though Jared Leto can fuck himself and die to be honest...the guy is a prick...I hope I never have the displeasure of his company ever again. Though I do thank him for getting that stupid notion of "Celebs are cool" out of my head as a young club junkie. Saved me time and effort trying to get into the places they hang out in...

At least I can take pleasure in his shitastic stage performances with his "band".

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

its a good movie but if you want a good drug flick i suggest Ray

oh no! terrorist have killed robert downy jr!

post of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Never really saw it as a Drugs Are Bad movie but more of a Addiction is Bad movie...the film has no impact on me anymore though. IFC showed it so many times it lost all its meaning. It's the DIE HARD of the Indie Film world.

Still the first time I saw it I felt that punch it was going for and enjoyed it. Though Jared Leto can fuck himself and die to be honest...the guy is a prick...I hope I never have the displeasure of his company ever again. Though I do thank him for getting that stupid notion of "Celebs are cool" out of my head as a young club junkie. Saved me time and effort trying to get into the places they hang out in...

At least I can take pleasure in his shitastic stage performances with his "band".

damn, what exactly did he do to you to piss you off so?

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

I have it on DVD. I love it. every time I watch it, it reminds me of my own drug past. the great feeling of being on top of the world then the slow decline into pain and suffering. It amazed me to watch the girls decline into being a drug whore. It is a superb film and I agree you kinda have to be in a certain frame of mind to watch it because its so depressing.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Nine
    damn, what exactly did he do to you to piss you off so?
    Ancient history in all truth...it has to be at least 5 years now. He didn't really do anything to me personally but have you ever been around a person who simply makes you want to hit them repeatedly with a hammer? It was his behaviour, attitude, and general way of being a dick...granted it was late/early and he like me and all the rest were pretty drunk or high but even then he still managed to kill the mood. Of course all the girls and some guys were still enthralled by him...I'll admit...he's a very pretty man. Not a fan though. Seems he has not change much though...still jsut another actor who acts like a rock star and wishes to be one.

I will say this though...he has excellent taste on women...and freakishly unreal eyes. Still a dick though.

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    every time I watch it, it reminds me of my own drug past.
    me too, only for me it was more like beer goggles and the clash, instead of artsy cinematography and orchestral score.

on second thought the Salton Sea was a much better movie and more realistic. like in the movie where they run into guys in the desert reinacting the kennedy assasination using pigeons and remote control cars is shit that always happens to you when you are on drugs. I never knew anyone that ever had a run in with the mob, on the other hand.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    on second thought the Salton Sea was a much better movie and more realistic.
    Salton Sea is a very good, and very underrated movie...

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

amazing movie, but i'd recommend the book - it's about a thousand times more harrowing.

exile

i believe this is a film for teenagers. Almost everything about it was obvious,.

i guess some teenagers need an obvious plotline and a soppy soundtrack crammed down their throats but I don’t see how grown adults can wet the sheets while being force-fed a ridiculously sentimental and overused score which basically replaces the obvious plotline.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire centauri
    i believe this is a film for teenagers. Almost everything about it was obvious,.

i guess some teenagers need an obvious plotline and a soppy soundtrack crammed down their throats but I don’t see how grown adults can wet the sheets while being force-fed a ridiculously sentimental and overused score which basically replaces the obvious plotline.
    well, yes, it's a classic tale of shattered dreams. that's the thing that gets me about it, and i don't really think clint mansells score was soppy. a little melodramatic perhaps, but it ties in with the subject matter. it's not really an anti drugs film, nor is it a particularly moralistic tale. it simply shows four people destroyed by the dream that originally sustained them, which is what makes it so harrowing to watch.

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

I loved this movie too. Almost as much as I loved "SPUN"..but that was for different reasons.
    I think they are coming out with Requiem II...I heard.

+ Reply to Thread