+ Reply to Thread

Thread: racist news?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default racist news?

every time I turn on the tv all I hear about is that chick in aruba and terrorists in london...
    this week in India 743 people died in floods and it didn't even make the news!
    Is it just me or do cable news networks only give a shit about what happens to white people?

but I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise since all the american news stations are owned by corporations. poor ass people in India aren't going to be buying shit from GE and Ted Turner.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: racist news?

I think it's more about reporting news that fits an agenda than it is about simply white people's news. You can no get people to accept the erosion or our rights in the name of security by getting them all hopped up about a flood somewhere. Unless you are really making some sort of point about silly Californians putting extravagant houses on hills, that plays well to the hearland that feels we should suffer, etc. You have to look at what behaviours the news stories are trying to foster. And yeah, the weird distraction stories that people pick out and hang on every deatail of, those are weird. I think it's because people are just too lazy to read a crappy airport novel, so they substitute some runaway bride or some missing blonde, it's more about the drama of their imagination than it is about news at all. Sometimes I think those stories are like pro football for women. Did you get today's score? Three blonde hairs in a cave! With an outside likelyhood of assault! Woohoo!

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

This is of course the exact reason I don't watch the news anymore. I get better information online from around the world, instead of just another story of some half dead woman people are trying to save, instead of just unplugging her.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

thank god i get bbc, i actually here things from around the world rather than 2 or three things that happened almost a month ago.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yeah i watch BBC news on public television and listen to NPR its way better than american news stations

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i dont watch the news period i honestly dont care whats goin on in the world so i avoid the news at all costs

Not just the news....racist sports too. I mean 'The World Series'? Please....!!!

That's a pretty small world....although I think it's best that way. If a Japanese or (God Forbid !) Cuban team were to come over and win it, well, there'd be hell to pay!

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    Not just the news....racist sports too. I mean 'The World Series'? Please....!!!

That's a pretty small world....although I think it's best that way. If a Japanese or (God Forbid !) Cuban team were to come over and win it, well, there'd be hell to pay!

I think of that as more of a Nationalist issue, rather than racist. It's not like American teams don't allow Japanese or Cuban players.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

plus baseball is (snickers) the great american passtime. it's not the only game we invented but it's one of the olest ones. I'd rather watch hockey or basketball or womens beach volleyball but....eh.

besides isnt sammy sosa cuban? and look at a lot of the big name sin baseball.....ken griffey jr. black/sammy sosa/black....half the diamond backs are latino...same with the sox and the yankess.

i dont watch much tv at all, so i very rarely see the news. I read papers though, the independent is the best........title says it all i think. Its not like most british papers where headlines are usually involving stupidly rich footballers, Z-list celebrities showing off their canyonesque twats or some kind of BNP-sympathizing rant about illegal immigrants, or are pretentiously highbrow and have 'moral outrage' articles about things like ''Why can't our war heroes have gold-plated coffins?''

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    besides isnt sammy sosa cuban? and look at a lot of the big name sin baseball.....ken griffey jr. black/sammy sosa/black....half the diamond backs are latino...same with the sox and the yankess.
    wtf is your point? Cuban isn't a race and black doesn't mean not American.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

A flood in India went unreported!!! OH NO!!!!...you know you could use the net and leave TV news to it's own devices. It's not as though every news channel across the world reports on every tragedy that goes on in other countries...even the oh so sacred BBC missess some stuff. If you're expecting western focused news channels to report on every tragedy under the sun then we may as well have The Tragedy News Channel.

If you as an individual want to know what's going on in the world use the tools available to you to become as informed as you desire instead of complaining about how certain media channels don't cover what you think they should cover. Some have world news focus...others keep things much more localized or relavent to their target audience. You see this in any countries news shows...

Besides it's unwise to trust or use any one news outlet or site these days...yes even the BBC.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    Cuban isn't a race...
    I dunno how most Cuban's would feel about that...nationality and race are so closely connected these days they are starting to blur together in some cases. Cuban's do have a very unique culture all their own...though in terms of "race" in western culture...if you speak spanish you're all lumped together in terms of catagorization. Such is the case with the last census and various population reports.

Not everyone agrees with it...especially those from regions where the history and background as are varied as those of any other part of the world...it does seem a bit one sided that some regions are seen as varied in terms of race and others are clumbed together. You see this a lot in refering to Latin America...in Asia you have clear racial catagories used by everyone from Scholors to the nightly news but when talk comes about South America it's either devided by national lines alone or lumped together.

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I dunno how most Cuban's would feel about that...nationality and race are so closely connected these days they are starting to blur together in some cases. Cuban's do have a very unique culture all their own...though in terms of "race" in western culture...if you speak spanish you're all lumped together in terms of catagorization. Such is the case with the last census and various population reports.

Not everyone agrees with it...especially those from regions where the history and background as are varied as those of any other part of the world...it does seem a bit one sided that some regions are seen as varied in terms of race and others are clumbed together. You see this a lot in refering to Latin America...in Asia you have clear racial catagories used by everyone from Scholors to the nightly news but when talk comes about South America it's either devided by national lines alone or lumped together.
    good point esp re juzxtaposition of asia. i still think the issue for baseball is jingoism and not racism and i think it is racist to start listing off baseball players' ethnic heritage.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    A flood in India went unreported!!! OH NO!!!!...you know you could use the net and leave TV news to it's own devices. It's not as though every news channel across the world reports on every tragedy that goes on in other countries...even the oh so sacred BBC missess some stuff. If you're expecting western focused news channels to report on every tragedy under the sun then we may as well have The Tragedy News Channel.

If you as an individual want to know what's going on in the world use the tools available to you to become as informed as you desire instead of complaining about how certain media channels don't cover what you think they should cover. Some have world news focus...others keep things much more localized or relavent to their target audience. You see this in any countries news shows...

Besides it's unwise to trust or use any one news outlet or site these days...yes even the BBC.
    the point isn't that I want to see every single tragedy that happens 24/7... but that I'm sick of seeing news anchors crying crocodile tears over "tragedies" for political motivation. call me old fashion but I still think that a journalists obligation is to report unbiased events, not to sell agendas to a "target audience."

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    wtf is your point? Cuban isn't a race and black doesn't mean not American.
    My point was that not everything on the news-including sports is white oriented...but I can see how you missed that what with the first couple of commetns in the topic being about white people in the news mostly, but that's okay. Ill slow down so you can keep up. lol

It has nothing to do with news it is just the timing in my opinion. The thing in Aruba happened before the floods and has had time to grow in to a huge deal and as for terrorism it has nothing to do with color. We are currently in a war against terrorism so naturally you are going to be hearing all about terrorism. If it had anything to do with race than please tell me why was the Tsunami that just happened recently such a big deal? The fact is that they can only report so many things and right now the floods are not top priority

First of all you have to fully understand the history behind the World Series to understand why it is known as the World Series. The first world series as we know it was played in 1903. Now at this time the USA was really all there was when it came to baseball. At the time of the first Series baseball was split. There was the National League which had been around for a while and there was the newer American League. Well these two leagues were ran seperately and feuded with each other and raided each other for players and things of that nature. Each of the two leagues had their own seperate championship which they sort of viewed as being like a United States Championship. Well they decided to start up the World Series in an attempt to bring the feud one step closer to being ended. So since this was the championship of all championships in baseball it took on the name World Series because at the time whoever won that series was automatically considered the best team in the world when it came to baseball because to be honest baseball had not spread around the world like it is today.

Also lets remember around the time period that baseball first became big. Baseball became big in the late 1800's and early 1900's which was also the time period in which the United States first started to become the melting pot that it is known as today. A lot of the early ball players parents and all had just came to the United States and baseball was being represented by players from many different countries and nationalities so at the time it really was like a World Series because the league was made up of players from around the world. The title World Series is not racist and the MLB is not racist. Heck look at a lot of the baseball players in the all star games and all and you will see that they are from all types of different backgrounds and from different countries and all. The title World Series is not racist in the least

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    the point isn't that I want to see every single tragedy that happens 24/7... but that I'm sick of seeing news anchors crying crocodile tears over "tragedies" for political motivation. call me old fashion but I still think that a journalists obligation is to report unbiased events, not to sell agendas to a "target audience."

Never really saw news anchors as reporters to be honest...just talking heads really that read off the teleprompter. Plus these days journalism is so perverted that it's less about the truth and more about the truth that sells papers,magazines, earns ratings or wins coveted meadia prizes like the pulitzer. Even the good ole net is guilty of this with people trying to get their blogs read by people they think matter or those they want attention from...so you see tons of stuff that would normally be in editorials not private journals.

When you have thousands trying to be the next mikey moore, Sean Hannity, or any one of the pundits, activists, politico whores, etc. you begin to see this wave of similiarity and copy cat style attitude that pretty much kills the whole point of it all. People would much rather have a truth that ties into their political views than one made up of honest reality. This goes for all types of people...

So really it's become more important than ever to see events unfold as they occur in some raw form to get at least a hint at what's going on...or like with most important events...let time take it's march untill a better picture can present itself. Look at WW2...it was only untill the 90's that the most important archives and files were opened up to scholors and historians. As a result the image and relaity of the conflict has become deeper and much clearer...I can only imagine what we'll learn about other historical events we think we have down cold in the next 50 years.

Two points:

1) It's a little known fact that America did not actually invent baseball, we Brits did. Derby County Football Club used to play there home games at the historic 'Baseball Ground' until they moved to a new stadium, yet I couldn't name a British baseball team if my life depended on it ! I would certainly say America popularised the sport worldwide though...

2) How can you have a 'World Series' and not let the world take part....that would be like having the World Cup in football but saying 'No South American teams'. If I can knock out every guy in my town, does that mean I can declare myself World Boxing Champion ?

I agree the MLB is not racist, but I think the concept of a exclusionist World Series is pretty laughable. Imagine if the Olympics were run that way.....

Two points:

1) It's a little known fact that America did not actually invent baseball, we Brits did. Derby County Football Club used to play there home games at the historic 'Baseball Ground' until they moved to a new stadium, yet I couldn't name a British baseball team if my life depended on it ! I would certainly say America popularised the sport worldwide though...

2) How can you have a 'World Series' and not let the world take part....that would be like having the World Cup in football but saying 'No South American teams'. If I can knock out every guy in my town, does that mean I can declare myself World Boxing Champion ?

I agree the MLB is not racist, but I think the concept of a exclusionist World Series is pretty laughable. Imagine if the Olympics were run that way.....

See the Brits did not invent baseball as we know it at least there is no proof of that. If you want to say the idea of baseball was inspired the game called rounders that was played in England well I can give you that one. But it is common knowledge that Alexander Cartwright is the man who is responsible for baseball being what it is today as far as the rules that are being used and the first officially recorded game of baseball took place in the United States. So while the Brits game did help bring about the invention of baseball the game of baseball was ultimately not started in England.

Also the term world series also was believed to be a marketing ploy and at the time the it was being pitched that eventually countries such as England would become involved in the playoffs to get the world series once baseball had become more popular in other countries. It never happened but now it is tradition so it wouldnt make sense to change it.

+ Reply to Thread