+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drives and consciousness

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Default Drives and consciousness

Right, I've had me a theory for some time that the human mind is in total composed of four seperate parts, illustrated by the head, the heart, the gut, and the loins:

The head, for rational thought and logic,
    The heart, for emotions and feeling,
    The gut, for pure instinctive drive,
    and the Loins, for physical urges. (Including hunger and thirst, not just lust)

Now, I don't actually believe it has anything to do with the head, heart, gut or loin: these are just symbols used in the west for centuries to represent each part of the mind.
    However, I do believe the mind is made from these four parts, and that each person is driven by them in different measures.

I tend to do everything by either my emotions of my instincts-- what I feel is right. I'd guess I put instincts as what I follow most, then my emotions, then loins and finally my head (actually thinking about what you're doing slows you down, eh?).

Was wondering if anyone else had similar theries or beliefs, and who is driven by what and to what extent?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Drives and consciousness

I don't really think that there are instincts. at least one's that are subconscious. what are perceived as insticts are usually just a direct result of biological circumstances. if someone is thirsty I don't think it's any step other then basic thought which leads them to drink.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

yea I think thats true. I believe man is very primative even today. I believe we are all driven by the most primal of thoughts and feelings.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't really think any of those things are seperate areas of thought, they are all logical deductions based on cause on effect. really the only seperate one is emotions which I think are largely fabricated by the higher thinking of the brain. that is to say that I think our perception of emotions are created in our minds by us thinking about them, and that's not entirely dependent on the biological source of emotions. they may be psychologically induced, rather then triggered uncontrollinbly. in other words, I think there isn't any biological difference between a person that's very emotional and a person that's "level headed", only a psychological difference.

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

I don't think there is, either, Morning. Like I said, head and heart and all are just symbols. It's not actually got anything to do with any partof the body 'part from the brain and maybe the central nervous system (if the mind is kept solely within the brain, how come I can feel all the way to my fingers?)

Also, yeah, you've got an exctremely plausable ideal of it. I guess I'm splitting them into four based on my own perceptions-- kind of arbitarily, what what.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I believe in the concept of a soul. I think in many instances we try to compartmentalize our experience into mental, physical, and spirtual realms. I believe you have to look at your experience as a totality.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I believe in the concept of a soul. I think in many instances we try to compartmentalize our experience into mental, physical, and spirtual realms. I believe you have to look at your experience as a totality.

OEC
    ok so whats a soul? where is it located? and can I sell it on e bay?

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    ok so whats a soul? where is it located? and can I sell it on e bay?
    To me? The soul would just be the totality of human experience. I don't believe in it in a literal sense.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    To me? The soul would just be the totality of human experience. I don't believe in it in a literal sense.

OEC
    so in other words memory?

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    so in other words memory?
    In part, yeah. You could also quantify it as consciousness. I think your theory is valid. My only objection is that I believe all parts are constantly playing off one another.

OEC

true they do. but still at a primative level. food, sex, fear, emotion, instinct, and logic its all primative. we have evolved to a higher way of thought but still what drives all of us is a primative way of thought that has allways been there and allways will be.

+ Reply to Thread