+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Default Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
    MMFlint@aol.com
    www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

nuklear's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

That's pretty funny. I hope Bush got that.

Default Re: Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

That is fucking GREAT!! lol good post

The National Guard poured in today, and the Navy is there, too, I believe. The Navy, I know for a fact, was sent out as quickly as you can move a vessel that carries up to 8,000 people, and they're sending not just one, but 4 ships.

Plus, what do you think Bush is really able to do? He's a figurehead. I in no way support him, but I also know that even though quite a few stupid ideas of his get passed, he doesn't have the real power. He's not going to be able to call up and say "Hey, I want this done." He has to have someone do it for him, the people that really hold the strings to pull.

And it's not his fault that they're poor, they were probably poor before he got in office. Also, alot of people that come from poor families end up being poor themselves. (And please, no one say "Well I'VE come from a poor family and I'M doing just fine. That's great, good for you. But when you've got no money to help get your feet off the ground to go to school or to get qualifications to get a decent job, then it really doesn't help. Believe me, I've been there, and I've seen it.)

That, and I think Michael Moore is annoying as fuck.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    The National Guard poured in today, and the Navy is there, too, I believe. The Navy, I know for a fact, was sent out as quickly as you can move a vessel that carries up to 8,000 people, and they're sending not just one, but 4 ships.

Plus, what do you think Bush is really able to do? He's a figurehead. I in no way support him, but I also know that even though quite a few stupid ideas of his get passed, he doesn't have the real power. He's not going to be able to call up and say "Hey, I want this done." He has to have someone do it for him, the people that really hold the strings to pull.

And it's not his fault that they're poor, they were probably poor before he got in office. Also, alot of people that come from poor families end up being poor themselves. (And please, no one say "Well I'VE come from a poor family and I'M doing just fine. That's great, good for you. But when you've got no money to help get your feet off the ground to go to school or to get qualifications to get a decent job, then it really doesn't help. Believe me, I've been there, and I've seen it.)

That, and I think Michael Moore is annoying as fuck.

Uhm, Cheinara,

This is America. We have people that are trained and committed to handle this sort of thing, but they were sent away. We have equipment to handle this sort of thing, but is was sent away. We have agencies that are there to prevent this sort of thing, but they were stripped of the required funds to do their job.

This is America, and we don't shoot people in the streets for petty theft, or even grand larceny. They get arrested and they get a trial. Those are the rules. A competent government should have the power to have needed authorities on the ground on every street corner if that is required.

If they don't treat these situations for days, anarchy breaks out. That is just the way it is. The country wants to immediately see seven or eight huge helicopters dropping sandbag after sandbag into the holes in the levee, they want to see lines of transport vehicles driving people to safety, they want to see peaceful helpful but legally empowered troops on the ground protecting and helping people.

I think we have every right to be furiously disappointed by not seeing that all being done, at the very least.

I've been poor in the South, it's not a matter of job qualifications alone, but they are Americans and we can clearly do a hell of a lot better than this.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I totally agree.

How long does it take to scramble helicopters?

How long does it take to load a truck with supplies?

They could have had this stuff on the way the day it happened.

When they have a threat of terrorism in DC, they will have jets in the
    air in 5 minutes. So it's not a problem of red tape or logistics. If they
    want helicopters in the air, all they have to do is say so. If the president
    tells every helicopter in the US military to head to NO on the day it happened,
    there would be thousands of helicopters in the air dropping supplies and
    airlifting people out of there....

And I agree though that if you have no car, and have no money for a bus ticket,
    it was not easy to get out. Not to mention people who are ignorant, often think
    a hurricane will be less destructive than it ends up being. Besides, half the time,
    hurricanes change direction, and nothing happens. So I can understand why there
    were people in the city. But I think the govt response to the situation is pretty
    pathetic. They have amphibious vehicles, transport planes, in-flight refueling,
    hovercraft, etc, etc...

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I myself like how Canada and other countries are offering help, with so much stuff on standby, but Bush is saying they're still assessing their needs.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

everything is Bushs fault...if he wasnt as arrogant as to run for president to finish making his daddys mistakes then we wouldn't be in this mess..yes the hurricane wouldve happened but all of our troops wouldnt be in another country fighting a war that doesnt even exist...Bush needs to be assasinated and thats all there is to it...i mean someone totally wasted Bushs bullet on Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Uhm, Cheinara,

This is America. We have people that are trained and committed to handle this sort of thing, but they were sent away. We have equipment to handle this sort of thing, but is was sent away. We have agencies that are there to prevent this sort of thing, but they were stripped of the required funds to do their job.

This is America, and we don't shoot people in the streets for petty theft, or even grand larceny. They get arrested and they get a trial. Those are the rules. A competent government should have the power to have needed authorities on the ground on every street corner if that is required.

If they don't treat these situations for days, anarchy breaks out. That is just the way it is. The country wants to immediately see seven or eight huge helicopters dropping sandbag after sandbag into the holes in the levee, they want to see lines of transport vehicles driving people to safety, they want to see peaceful helpful but legally empowered troops on the ground protecting and helping people.

I think we have every right to be furiously disappointed by not seeing that all being done, at the very least.

I've been poor in the South, it's not a matter of job qualifications alone, but they are Americans and we can clearly do a hell of a lot better than this.
    Yeah, it's America, but he's made it a political thing, while it's not that at all. There is more than just one person to blame, going from the president, all the way down to the state/city officials that are supposed to be in charge of this kind of thing. The people that are trained for this kind of thing aren't doing their job, either, so why just point one finger? It's sad, but people are losing their faith in the ones that run this country, and while that includes Bush, it's not just him.

Yes, I understand that we've had funding stripped, over half of our military and their resources aren't even here, and their reaction time was way more than what it should have been, but I'm so tired of everyone saying, "Well this should've happened, and this should've happened, and this should be happening right now." It doesn't help things, but what could help is by people writing in letters, emails, making phone calls to their representatives, etc., to get themselves heard. Bitching about it won't help anything.

Also, what about the people shooting at Search & Rescue? They don't have the right to defend themselves? And is it right for the refugees that are going to other cities to trash the places that have opened their doors for them?

I think it's tasteless to make something like this political, instead of trying to help. I don't see him roling up his sleeves and helping. Alot of famous people hold alot of sway, not to mention alot of money. They can always use money down there. I'm sure there's quite a few people that have donated money, too, that haven't been announced, I'm just saying. I'm tired of political crap. When all the people are rescued, the dead bodies have been found, and the debris has been cleaned up, we will have the time to say "This is what should've happened." Until then, we should concentrate on trying not to cause more emotional damage to an already dying presidency. Bush isn't going to come out of this on top, there's bunches of people mad at him, and he's going to take alot of the blame for it.

Like I've said before, I don't support him, I didn't vote for him, but I'd rather see people like Michael Moore be doing more to help than picking at Bush any chance he can.

I'm sorry if I've offended (and I mean that, as I hate most confrontation,) and I've probably not worded quite a few things correctly to get my ideas across, but yeah.

(And don't you guys pick at me because I said something like "no offense".)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yay...another Mikey Moore letter...good to see him pimping another tragedy, turning it political, and at some point making money off it through his "books of truth" and website.

It's also nice to see he left out all the other incompetant assholes that have hid under a rock since this storm hit...way to focus the truth there Mikey. I especially like the global warming bit...damn you Bush for not stopping global warming!

Since when did Presidents become Gods? Last I checked their were part of a bigger machine that lumbers along and as in the case of the inaction in New Orleans...royally fucks up.

Critique is great when it's actually usefull...but all Mikey does is act the everyman and advance his career through taking advantage and exploiting tragedy and misery...and people look up to him for it. Same ole sick act of opportunism through outrage hiding in the shadow of "activism".

I'm sure he'll be down their with camera and mic in hand with soft tone ready so he can pump, pimp, and cut the footage into his F 9/11 sequal.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

....they are Americans and we can clearly do a hell of a lot better than this.
    That's pretty much the gist of it isn't it? How can the administration (as a whole not just the bush camp) and people of this nation let this situation get so out of hand? It's scary to think THIS is how such a response will be to tragedies to come...

It's unsettling to say the least and angering that so many are using this as a political issue and debating about it on and on in the media yet doing nothing to actually help...

I mean fuck...if news copters can fly around grabbing "the tragic money shot" how about helping people stuck in places that no one can reach em? It's sick how all these stories and reports are not being used to inform people but to boost ratings and simply freak people out...I've yet to see any media coverage that doesn't go out of it's way to make the tragic elements the focus for pure shock value.

Sad thing is most of this will be forgotten by the end of the year...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I mean fuck...if news copters can fly around grabbing "the tragic money shot" how about helping people stuck in places that no one can reach em? It's sick how all these stories and reports are not being used to inform people but to boost ratings and simply freak people out...I've yet to see any media coverage that doesn't go out of it's way to make the tragic elements the focus for pure shock value.

I certainly agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do think it's important to understand that it is the news reporters job to show what is going on. It is the National Guard's job to guard the nation is situations like this. Without 'tragic money shot' visual journalism, the rest of the nation would have no idea of what is going on. We don't know about what is going on in smaller cities, and that doesn't mean things are better there. The coverage is important, even if it can be a little sensationalist at times.

The fact that there are so many news choppers filming things, as compared to military choppers helping people and plugging levee breaks, kind of underlines the notion that we may have spread ourselves too thin with all that manpower in the middle east.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I certainly agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do think it's important to understand that it is the news reporters job to show what is going on. It is the National Guard's job to guard the nation is situations like this. Without 'tragic money shot' visual journalism, the rest of the nation would have no idea of what is going on. We don't know about what is going on in smaller cities, and that doesn't mean things are better there. The coverage is important, even if it can be a little sensationalist at times.

The fact that there are so many news choppers filming things, as compared to military choppers helping people and pligging levee breaks, kind underlines the notion that we may have spread ourselves too thin with all that manpower in the middle east.
    The coverage is indeed imporant but it all has the feel of who can one up the other network with a better tragic tale. No media outlet seem to has that tone of "this is what is happening" without some sort of spin on it.

Yeah this does highlight that key military assets (Army Engineers should be in this city without question...challenges like this is what they do train for after all.) are too far off. Way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far off.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

At first I couldnt believe it. Now Im sick of it.

There are many, MANY homeless people whove needed help before this disaster. Why havent I seen anyone rally to help them like this.

If you move to an area thats prone to natural disasters, SUCK IT UP, and quit your crying when it happens. If you voted for Bush and are disgusted with the way noone is getting help there, quit your crying. Im so sick and tired of hearing about this.

I swear this is mother natures way of punishing us for voting Bush again;]

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

i absolutely hate micheal moore, the only person capable of twisting the truth so much he can turn "yes" into "no".

as for new orleans, tis a tragedy, but you gotta expect this stuff when you build a city below sea level :| they were very unlucky as to how powerful the hurricane was, but as the old saying goes "If it can happen, It will!"

i hope that this mess gets sorted out soon, if i was religeous id be praying for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    If you move to an area thats prone to natural disasters, SUCK IT UP, and quit your crying when it happens.
    That's a little hard to do, as almost every area on this planet has its own kind of natural disaster.

Dark Z's Avatar Anime or Guns? Hmmm......

That's a little hard to do, as almost every area on this planet has its own kind of natural disaster.

I recomend Pennsylvania and Maryland... the worst we get are Snakefish, and the occasional bad thunderstorm.

Hmmm... How's Wyoming Disaster-wise?

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

yeah. i was talking about this with some people at work today. i live in maine, and the worst we get is lots o snow and an ice storm once in a blue moon... in terms of natural disasters, we're pretty lucky here.

in fairness i think the key word was "prone". but your right in saying that natural disasters can happen anywhere, no chance of running away from them, even here in england we get our floods (like i said before, build a city below sea level etc..) ahh well...

--Phil

xx

i cant understand why Clinton was impeached for gettin a lil sumpin sumpin and Bush is not only letting thousands of people die but calling for shoot to kill on looters and hes still sitting in office? WHAT THE FUCK MAN

Clinton played the sax, thats enough for me, you guys need more jazz/blues presidents

WTF?? I hate misinformation...

Clinton ALSO cut Army Corps of Engineers budgets! N.O. Police aren't shooting people for looting, they're shooting them for shooting at them first - they nailed one cop in the head and killed him dead. They ALSO SHOT at builders trying to FIX THE LEVEE, and helicopters BRINGING FOOD & WATER!! The N.O. Mayor said in a taped press interview that the looters themselves are largely drug addicts in a daze that are jonesing bad for a fix, NOT people needing food.

The National Guard IS there, they DID provide full lockdown, and the city's a ghost town now. I don't know how any of this relates to Bush - as it's more the mistake of FEMA. Once anyone escalated above that, everyone responded - and quick as shit.

Buses and trucks could NOT DRIVE down the streets & into N.O. They had to be BULLDOZED with an earthmover because of flooded, upside-down cars & trucks being in the frikking way.

And yes, Mikey Moore is annoying as fuck. If he hadn't lied his ass off in his film, and used so much poorly supported rhetoric, maybe SOMEONE would listen to his sorry ass now. Maybe he should quit sucking down Twinkies and do something about the problem his own, fat-ass, pathetic self. He has plenty of money from his sorry-suck-shit filmto send down to N.O. to feed plenty of people skinnier than himself. Hey Mikey, here's my open letter to you: Go without a couple of your extra meals you fat fuck, and send some money for support and shut the fuck up for once you loser.

Hehh-hehhh isn't it funny as shit that no one knew what was going on and plenty of people died, and that once they did know, they responded as quickly as they fucking could to fix the problem.

Two gradeschool girls sold frikkin' Cool-Aid and did odd jobs this weekend and raised SEVEN HUNDRED dollars to send to relief victims. Why don't some of you think about pushing yourself away from your computers and do the same -- instead of bitching about the president. Fuck wads.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i think you need to go sit in the corner missy.....

or just leave all together...and maybe fall on a spike on the way out....

man some one has some pent up agro. i stand by my comment that america needs more jass/blues musicians as president.

hargalaten's Avatar Junior Member
    Born in Sherman, Tx; Lived mostly in Hondo, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Z
    I recomend Pennsylvania and Maryland... the worst we get are Snakefish, and the occasional bad thunderstorm.

Hmmm... How's Wyoming Disaster-wise?
    huge fuckin' wildfires. with every thunderstorm that rolls through [which is almost every afternoon in the summer] they get almost 200 ground strikes.

and in the winter, it can get to 40 below with nasty blizzards.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip
    man some one has some pent up agro. i stand by my comment that america needs more jass/blues musicians as president.
    i couldn't possibly agree more...really i've tried,but i just can't ....

TOM WAITS/JOHN LEE HOOKER FOR 2008!!

*tickertape parade*

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    i think you need to go sit in the corner missy.....

or just leave all together...and maybe fall on a spike on the way out....

ya dude where'd that cuntarded fuckwit come from? nice first post troll

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by FetshHeels
    Why don't some of you think about pushing yourself away from your computers and do the same -- instead of bitching about the president. Fuck wads.

Yeah the fuck's wrong with all of you?!!! GO SELL KOOL-AID!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Yeah the fuck's wrong with all of you?!!! GO SELL KOOL-AID!!!!
    I can't even afford Kool-Aid Right now. F'n A.

I can't even afford Kool-Aid Right now. F'n A.
    at least you can spell it

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by FetshHeels
    Two gradeschool girls sold frikkin' Cool-Aid and did odd jobs this weekend and raised SEVEN HUNDRED dollars to send to relief victims. Why don't some of you think about pushing yourself away from your computers and do the same -- instead of bitching about the president. Fuck wads.
    Maybe because we have a right to sit our asses and disagree with the way things are. I choose to NOT exercise my right to raise money for 'hurricane victims', when there are many more deserving people who have lost just as much due to the fuckwad president taking our jobs overseas and putting this economy in a shithole.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

speaking as someone who doesn't live in america..

delirant isti Romani!

+ Reply to Thread