+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead Can Dance Saturday Radio City NYC

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Dead Can Dance Saturday Radio City NYC

So this Saturday I am going to see "Dead Can Dance" at Radio City Music Hall!!! Should be good. I have lived in New York for years and this will be my first concert at Radio City Music Hall, I have never been there!

So I think I have a pretty good seat, I bought my ticket about 4 months ago!!

Default Re: Dead Can Dance Saturday Radio City NYC

I'm jealous. That should be a good show.

Yes, I missed them last time around, and they hardly ever perform live, so this will be really cool. I guess I will wear black!!! Hah!

saw 'em ten years ago in a highschool auditorium in cleveland...

helluva show...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    saw 'em ten years ago in a highschool auditorium in cleveland...

helluva show...
    Yes, I have heard that they are really great live. And what a voice Lisa Gerard has, just incredible. Can't wait!

oh yes, she's absolutely riviting...

...it was kind of gloriously incongruous to see them in a high school auditorium... all the little goth kids dancing in the aisles...

i just sat in my seat, and let the music OBE me elsewhere...

Brendan Perry's voice ain't so bad either... it's grown on me over the years, and i actually enjoy his listening to his songs with their pretenious lyrics now even more than the ones where she's singing in glossolia...

Enjoy the show. I saw them in '95 and they are even better in person than on CD. Never had a chance to see them again... *sigh*

How was the show?

Wow! Better sounding than any CD, just the best!!! And Brendan Perry's voice was just as good as Lisa Gerard, but I mean, she was so fantastic!!

They had about 50 people, musicians onstage, a full orchestra, drums, dulcimers, you name it. Really sounded even better than any CD, and of course, they did all of their "greatest hits"!!

It's so nice to see real talent, I mean, really people who can sing and really play real instruments!!

The crowd went nuts, two standing ovations, just so nice to see great musicians appreciated. Oh, and Lisa Bonet was there, looking very "goth"...

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Good to hear it was a great show. More importantly..what outfit did you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Wow! Better sounding than any CD, just the best!!! And Brendan Perry's voice was just as good as Lisa Gerard, but I mean, she was so fantastic!!

They had about 50 people, musicians onstage, a full orchestra, drums, dulcimers, you name it. Really sounded even better than any CD, and of course, they did all of their "greatest hits"!!

It's so nice to see real talent, I mean, really people who can sing and really play real instruments!!

The crowd went nuts, two standing ovations, just so nice to see great musicians appreciated. Oh, and Lisa Bonet was there, looking very "goth"...
    Did she sing "Wind that Shakes the Barley"? It's such a pretty song.

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    Did she sing "Wind that Shakes the Barley"? It's such a pretty song.

Of COURSE she did! She sang it accapalla, just flawlessly, so wonderful!! What a voice! God if only I could sing... It makes me never want to sing onstage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Good to hear it was a great show. More importantly..what outfit did you wear?
    Oh just this mesh long black dress that is tight on the body, then has a full skirt with pointed alligator patterned boots, and purple makeup with falsh eyelashes with pink beads! Nothing very fancy.

Not a lot of people were dressed up. Lisa Bonet was wearing this sort of black lace-up leatherish looking outfit and had very long dread locks. She looked as if she were alone!

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Oh just this mesh long black dress that is tight on the body, then has a full skirt with pointed alligator patterned boots, and purple makeup with falsh eyelashes with pink beads! Nothing very fancy.
    Indeed

malgre's Avatar Junior Member

Please tell me you're kidding. At the show at the Oakland Paramount Theater, they had 3 percussionists and 2 synth players. Yep, that's it. I was disappointed at the time because it didn't compare to the last time I saw them (Greek Theater in Berkeley), but I thought that it was their new 'leaner' tour. Now I really feel cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by malgre
    Please tell me you're kidding. At the show at the Oakland Paramount Theater, they had 3 percussionists and 2 synth players. Yep, that's it. I was disappointed at the time because it didn't compare to the last time I saw them (Greek Theater in Berkeley), but I thought that it was their new 'leaner' tour. Now I really feel cheated.
    When did you see them at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland? But what a beautiful place!!! But no I am not kidding, they had so many people, full orchestra, about three percussionists, drummers, and several instruments I cannot name, but this is New York City, so they obviously went all out!

They seemed as if they were going to be performing more often, I mean, the place was so packed and so enthusiastic, I would think that they would continue. I hope so. I would definitely see them again, anytime.

malgre's Avatar Junior Member

I saw them on Sept 22 (they had also played there the night before). I enjoyed the show, but I did complain to my companions that it seemed lacking without the full instrumental backup. With just 3 percussionists playing (besides Lisa and Brendan) at times the production was a little silly - if they were going to synth all the strings and such, why bother to have one guy playing the same rhythm on a cowbell the whole time?

I'll hold out hope they tour here again soon, and next time with the full orchestra. Their music is much better with live musicians doing all the parts. I remember the Greek Theater show having so much energy.

Quote Originally Posted by malgre
    I saw them on Sept 22 (they had also played there the night before). I enjoyed the show, but I did complain to my companions that it seemed lacking without the full instrumental backup. With just 3 percussionists playing (besides Lisa and Brendan) at times the production was a little silly - if they were going to synth all the strings and such, why bother to have one guy playing the same rhythm on a cowbell the whole time?

I'll hold out hope they tour here again soon, and next time with the full orchestra. Their music is much better with live musicians doing all the parts. I remember the Greek Theater show having so much energy.
    I tried to get into that Greek Theatre show but it was sold out! I actually got my Radio City Music Hall tickets about 4 or 5 months ago, and even then, I didn't get that close to the front. But at least I got orchestra seats!!!!

I'm sure they will continue to perform with a full orchestra, it was so great...

They had the more stripped-down linup when I saw them on Monday night at the Strathmore, just outside of DC.

Amazing performance, though. Brendan was effortlessly hitting notes that most experienced musicians don't dare try to hit outside of the studio. There's so much talent in Brendan and Lisa that it's like an aura.

I know they both have great voices. He really impressed me so much, I thought I would just like Lisa in person, but he was just great, a really full strong voice. It's nice to see people with real talent get the recognition they deserve.

+ Reply to Thread