+ Reply to Thread

Thread: People with bad credit

Default People with bad credit

I get judged alot for my bad credit, and have brought this issue up alot and it seems that the feeling across the board is that people put themsleves in bad debt because they are irresponsible and are living beyond their means. I don't know about them, but alot of the reason I ended up filing chapter 7 was that my money had to go to paying the debt my parents owed (my father closed a business, and let alot of his credit cards go because he couldn't pay them and my mother has been paying them off since).

I don't want judgement placed against me here for talking about this as I already have in two other boards, but if folks wanna write my bad credit to me being an asshole and unable to manage money, so be it.

It's kinda hard to manage a household where your parents are both ill or near being ill (dad has lupus and can't barely walk, mom smokes too much). Some bills get paid, others don't. If people feel I'm a fuck-up because of that, oh well.

So what do you think of people with bad credit? stupid folks or just bad circumstances?

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: People with bad credit

It totally depends on the person and the situation.

I look at the bigger picture. Most people who are flakes,
    are flakes across the board. Can't keep a job, spend their
    money stupidly, always broke, etc... It's one thing if they
    are working hard, and having a hard time paying the
    bills. But the people who bug me, are the ones who
    have a decent job, make money, but then spend it all,
    and go into debt, and then have problems because
    they were stupid about their spending. As long as
    you have a reasonable reason, I have no problem with it.
    But most people I know who have these kind of problems,
    it's because they spent all their money on stupid shit...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    It totally depends on the person and the situation.

I look at the bigger picture. Most people who are flakes,
    are flakes across the board. Can't keep a job, spend their
    money stupidly, always broke, etc... It's one thing if they
    are working hard, and having a hard time paying the
    bills. But the people who bug me, are the ones who
    have a decent job, make money, but then spend it all,
    and go into debt, and then have problems because
    they were stupid about their spending. As long as
    you have a reasonable reason, I have no problem with it.
    But most people I know who have these kind of problems,
    it's because they spent all their money on stupid shit...
    I look at the picture like this.

Unless I know what you are going through, I can't judge when it comes to credit. I had this debate with someone in another board that I had to leave because I was getting emotional. a credit history is like a sexual history, it can't exactly be a perfect one all the time.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It's much more about the person, who they are, and their lifestyle.
    How they deal with "real life" goes far beyond just a credit report...
    If they are really bad with that stuff, it will be pretty obvious.

My credit hassles come from hospital bills and not haaving affordable insurance to go with it, I know Im not the only one that thinks the insurance biz is way over priced causing people to go into bankruptcy proceedings, esp when a visit nowadays can cost a good grand for a five minute trip to the hospital

P I L O T's Avatar Senior Member

i totally suck at managing money,... I got a lucky a couple months ago with some really FAT FAT checks and blew them on stuff,.. I'm just happy I didn't spend most of it on beer,.. non the less I didn't use them to clean up the debt I owed and a`ctually managed to get myself into an even deeper whole of debt.

I only owe about 5k total but thats still alot more than I wish I owed,.. and if I get 5k I'm so irresponsible I'd probably spend it on stuff,...

I like to relax,.. and I like to drink,. beer is really expensive in some places.

At least this time around I spent the money on myself as upposed to spending it on someone else.

I'm a prude and a flake, I tend to be shallow at times too.

all things I'll think about when I'm broke to my last dollar again and looking for ways to make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew2001
    So what do you think of people with bad credit? stupid folks or just bad circumstances?
    Judge you on your bad credit? That's crazy. No.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

He who dies with the most debts wins

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I wish they taught money management in school. I was taught how to budget by a housemate of mine in a punk rock group house I lived in after I graduated from college. I had a degree from a competitive institution of higher learning. She ran away from home without finishing high school. But she had learned how to manage money and I hadn't.

Money management and credit are pretty different beasts too. You can be totally defective and irresponsible in the way you manage your finances and have great credit, way better than someone who is much more responsible but just doesn't play the credit game the same way.

Matt, how do you know you have bad credit?

drak05's Avatar Junior Member

I'll probably always have bad credit because I am always sick and in the freakin hospital... So I can't keep a f-ing job... I was a foster kid, so I don't have family to fall back on, so come rent time I normally have to move again... It is not a whole lot of fun...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

hey you think bad credit is bad, see what it's like when someone at a bank actually tells you that you dont exist, at all. And then they tell you that at least if you had bad credit you would have something that could be fixed,

Oh fuck now I'm angry

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well when it comes to shit like loans and stuff it's like if you need one then obviosuly you don't have that money, so it's not very likely that you are going to be paying it back soon, and with intrest. I need seventeen grand, I don't have it, so instead i'm going to give you 20 grand. sound good?
    maybe that sounds a little far fetched, but that's really how it is, and how easy it is to get into debt.

I had a freind that thought it might be a good idea to get a credit card, turns out it wasn't. she used it once, and then decided to put it away. a few years down the road they go you didn't spend any of your credit? that's great! so you don't have to pay it back.. but you owe us 1,500 dollars in intrest. well now she has to pay for schooling, pay for car, pay for rent, pay of living, and at minimum wage that's allready way more then you have. so now she's one of the evildoers who has bad credit.

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Matthew-
    It is sad how we are judged by a FICO score...
    I don't have the greatest of credit, either...and I get lumped into that "black women with 100 credit cards and writes bad checks" group. (oooh...stereotype again) I think the best way to combat bad credit like yours...is just let the 7 play out. I know after a chap 7 you can get cards and re-establish a credit history..have you tried that? It sucks when your parents kinda drag you down like that, though. I thought parents were supposed to be the RESPONSIBLE ones????
    I would try repairing your credit (like lexington law firm...I've used them for 6 months and they have helped my score) I also have a little 'letter' you can send all your creditors to literally scare them into removing stuff from your report. I know where you are, so I'll send it to ya Can't hurt....

+ Reply to Thread