+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How early is loud construction okay?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default How early is loud construction okay?

It is very fucking early on a Saturday and there are jackhammers, or something like them, being used outside. They started something like an hour and a half ago. At least, that is when they got bad enough to wake me. I can sleep through a lot of construction type noises. This construction work has been shifting my schedule to absurdly early and not rested enough.

I'm pretty sure if I started blasting Ministry at that volume right now, it would not be okay.

How early do you think it is okay to have loud construction?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Re: How early is loud construction okay?

A couple weeks ago, they repaved the road in front of my place. Keep in mind that it had been milled down for at least a month and there was NO notice of when the city was going to actually pave it.

But at 3 AM precisely, I was jolted out of sleep by what sounded and felt like an explosion and my whole building shaking. Notice that I'm 3 floors up and face the back of the building when this shit was going on out front. I expected some sort of catastrophe or al-queda fueled mayhem so I sat still for a moment to get my bearings, make sure I wasn't dreaming, remembering where my emergency supplies and tools were etc.

Then there was another explosion and more vibrations.

And another.

Yet, my window was open and I didn't hear any sirens or anything... Then the smell of fresh asphalt began wafting in and I realized what was probably going on. I couldn't get back to sleep after thatbut luckily I had beer and a bunch of dvds to keep me occupied.

there's been construction going on since I first moved onto this block 3 year ago, almost continually... first they were building a huge apt. building so they had to drill, and then blast the foundation... nothing like a subsonic boom at 8a to disturb yoursleep.

now it's been concrete saws on the roofs of some of these buildings...

happy, happy mr.friendly... yep 7a brzzzrrrkkKKKZZZZGGZGGZZZK! take break at noon, and then ggRRGGGKKKZZZZGGKKZZZZKK until 5p.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I'm pretty sure if I started blasting Ministry at that volume right now, it would not be okay.
    I say..put it to the test. Tomorrow morning crank it up to the max and see if anyone complains.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

man , they have been building these townhouses behind my apartment for months and I have seen them out there at 4 in the morning, is bullshit, I dont know how many times theyve woke my son...
    anything before ten is too early

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

as long as they wait till after nine am. I once had them using jackhmmers right out my back door, as in taking out my back steps, at seven am. *grr*
    Noon would be best but whatever.
    K

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

Noon would be good. Unfortunately, people are dumb.

I got woke up today by wrenchingly loud... old-timey country music. What the hell. Like the stuff from O Brother Where Art Thou, except really horrible and also including kazoos.

Yet if I play Kamelot at half that volume, I get phone calls. Gah!

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i think 7:00 AM is acceptable, they dont allow anyone her to use a lawnmower or a leaf blower b4 7:00 Am so im used to that hour being the loud hour of the day

Hula Hoop Supervisor

After 9pm would be nice....had to suffer from 6am construction every day of the week...you have no idea how annoying that back up "beep" sound is...and how you cannot drown it out no matter what.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

no...you know what's worse...

when those huge Cat's pull in that crazy ass reverse gear they have..that has soo much bass to the tone,that it makes your whole house shake...

that scared the living fuck out of me the first time i heard it,i mean...it fills your senses,and it's just overload,haha..

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i had a similar experienc eonce with a steam roller, a few weeks after a small quake we had the city repaved my street and as i was sleeping a steam roller was outside flattening the asphalt but it totaly felt like a quake, cause my house is not set on the ground its on like some wooden supports. So i ran outside in my underwear only to see a huge ass steam roller and a bunch of the city constuction guys there

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

The weird thing about it,is it sounds just like some car's bass...but more than i've EVER heard.....

and it's constant...i mean,it was like end of the world senario, sounds in my little place,hha..

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

garrr, the past 2 morings i've been woken up by hammering and staple guns in the apt below me, cause my landlord is re-doing that entire thing....8 am's a little early, 9 isn't too bad, except that i stay up really late cause i work til late.. i guess i'm gonna have to decide between what little social life i have and sleep.... and sleep loses every time... oh well

The state is working on a new highway and bridge on US 65 here in town, and its the blasting of dynamite before 9 am that is the bitch. Im about a mile from the actual construction, but the vibrations from the blasting rolls through the bedrock and shakes the house good.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Lotus

I got woke up today by wrenchingly loud... old-timey country music. What the hell. Like the stuff from O Brother Where Art Thou, except really horrible and also including kazoos.
    shit. I'd trade that in anyday for the nonstop tejano music blared all over the place out here oh and the rap station that plays the same songs over and over and over agaiin. (seriously. anyone form this area whose heard power 92 probably knows what im talking about)all hours of the day-all houors of the night.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Come springtime we'll find out here

where i live they almost always do construction in the middle of the night, its not only annoying, but also strange how things pop up out of nowhere

reading law on that stuff (not because of you silly ) I found it's from 9 am in sweden in urban areas.... plus exceptions... when I worked as a construction worker at a hotel which was still operating we would start at 10 am.... I'm shure you'll find something if you dig enought that could help you... good luck... bbBBBBBZZZZZktk... toing toing toing.... bbzzzzzrttrtrtrtrtrttttttprttttt!!!!!!!!

well they decided to resurface my street tonight at 11p....

how's that for considerate?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

They started jackhammering in my yard today at around 8:30. I feel your pain!!!!!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    They started jackhammering in my yard today at around 8:30. I feel your pain!!!!!
    I had to suffer through that for a YEAR...every Sat. Morning too.

Leftalone's Avatar Member

7am is the law i think. Not for sure. if they start before 7am. then their in deep shit.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

omfg i would kill someone. seriously... makes me wish i was still neighbors with that horrid lady from nanaimo... we called her "scary pink thing" cause she walked around constantly in this huge pink bathrobe... and she was sooo annoying... bitch at you for no reason at all. she tried to have me grounded for calling her daughter a bitch, when her daughter was the one that slapped me or some shit like that... AND SHE WASNT EVEN MY MOM HOW COULD SHE GROUND ME!?? wtf... freak. i dunno it was like 12 years ago. but yeah... she wouldve gone out there and freaked on them and probly called the cops haha... funny stuff.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

A while back I was living out west working a brutal night shift, and I was living in a friends aunts dining room, and for the whole three months they were constantly working on the road. And this aunt had a huge hummel colection in the dining room in cabinates with glass shelves, I used to have dreams that I was having siezures all day

Walk outside half nudeand perturbed. Tell them they interrupted your All-Night-Strip-Show.

+ Reply to Thread