+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holiday Trees

Default Holiday Trees

So i've heard a lot of controversy over the whole "Holiday Tree" thing. At first I thought this was rediculous, but thats because i thought they were reffering to all christmas trees, when i found out it was just the tree on capital hill, i was more for it, again it takes you back to the seperation of church/state. If the government owns a certain holiday's sigil, then its obvious what that government is promoting. i actually think its a good idea.

who really celebrates christmas for jesus anyhow? they should just stop calling it christmas all together

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Re: Holiday Trees

this is my agnostic tree

i went dumpster diving last week and got a mini 3 foot tree we are setting up. we are poor so it works. it already came with lights!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

if there is seperation of church and state then why does our federal currency have the word "God" on it?

here's the thing, if jesus is your homeboy, go ahead and celebrate christmas. if you couldn't care less about christ, but like the idea of a pine tree, a fat jolly bearded guy, giving presents and shiny lights, then go ahead and celebrate christmas. If you don't like either one of these things, then don't celebrate christmas. If you can't face the fact that the majority of people fall into these categories and this quasi-religious festival isn't exactly the spanish inquesition and it pisses you off so much to even hear a mention of it, then feel free to vacation on a deserted island once a year during the holiday season. problem solved.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

ugh. it's a fuckin tree. the christmas tree has nothing to do with christmas anyway. it's originally a symbol of yule
    (solstice or whatever you wanna call it)
    it's just like santa claus wearing red........he was first illustrated wearing a red costume for marketing purposes of the coca cola company.
    i think it's more a showing of the lighter side oft hings at the white house than any major politcial move and will note that this tradition had been going on ever since i can remember.

people need to lighten up and put the liquor back in the eggnog.

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

some of us do celebrate Jesus. i hate the stupid trees for so many other reasons. but i have one for the husband and the kids.

on a semi related note, I don't like the word agnostic. what does that even mean? I guess it would technically mean that you are opposed to gnosticism, an early christian sect that thought that all matter is evil and only spirt is pure... which in itself has very little to do with it's namesake. Gnosis, the greek word for knowledge, was a philosophy praticed by plato and others that beleived everyone allready possesed all knowledge and so learning was simply a matter of realizing what you allready knew.

yikes...

to paraphrase a freind of mine who would most likely call himself a neo-druid: I'm not an athiest or an agnostic. those are just terms used by christians to illegtimize other people's spirituality (most of all the ones that were around long before them.)

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

ag·nos·tic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-nstk)
    n.
      1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
      2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    if there is seperation of church and state then why does our federal currency have the word "God" on it?

here's the thing, if jesus is your homeboy, go ahead and celebrate christmas. if you couldn't care less about christ, but like the idea of a pine tree, a fat jolly bearded guy, giving presents and shiny lights, then go ahead and celebrate christmas. If you don't like either one of these things, then don't celebrate christmas. If you can't face the fact that the majority of people fall into these categories and this quasi-religious festival isn't exactly the spanish inquesition and it pisses you off so much to even hear a mention of it, then feel free to vacation on a deserted island once a year during the holiday season. problem solved.

people need to lighten up and put the liquor back in the eggnog.
    i completely agree with these two things. why is it such a huge deal? billions of people love christmas, why ruin it for them if you dont believe in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    ag·nos·tic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-nstk)
    n.
      1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
      2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
    thanks reading rainbow.

Similar things going on over here in England. Since the London bombings on July 7th, the powers-that-be are paranoid about upsetting the Muslims, so mayors are banning the use of the word 'Christmas' in certain towns. It's like a paranoia pandemic.

do they even recognize ramadan in england? I don't think i've ever heard anyone say it on tv, other than on the history channel, here in the states.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    do they even recognize ramadan in england? I don't think i've ever heard anyone say it on tv, other than on the history channel, here in the states.
    Local news always mentions it here...it's nothing big but it is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    this is my agnostic tree
    Got a big enough TV? I like the ninja swords on top, nice touch.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I want a little tree for my tiny little apartment!! I don't want a real one because they dry out and the super gets mad because the needles get all over the halls!

+ Reply to Thread