+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you ever burned a flag?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Have you ever burned a flag?

So the issue of flag-burning has reared its puzzling head again. I was wondering if anyone here has ever burned a flag. I've never burned a flag and, to the best of my knowledge, despite knowing an awful lot of rebellious pyromaniacs, I don't think I know anyone who has ever burned a flag. Figured this called for some research.

Have you ever burned a flag of any kind? Have you ever burned an American flag?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Have you ever burned a flag?

that totally just made me think of Jello Biafra's Pledge Of Allegiance:

I pledge defiance to the flag of the United Snakes of Captivity,
    And to the Republic for which it stands, I dip it in kerosene, and stick it up the ass of you-know-who and light it!

One nation, under God--or else
    One nation of psychopathic Pentagon gangsters, whose idea of national security is concentration camps for people who dare to use the drugs that the CIA brings in and the government supplies themselves.

One nation, under Wall Street:
    If the cops and the President are all criminals, I might as well be one too!
    One Nation of tabloid robots who actually believe what they see on TV, even on MTV.
    And when asked what they think about it, they reply, “I don’t care.”
    One nation, drowning in its own garbage
    Indivisible from the fall of Rome
    With liberty and justice for all--who can afford it.

If the Communists can do it, why can't we?
    Let's throw the bastards out and try some real Democracy.

Let's have a government run not by rich people, not by Army people
    Not by sons of senators sons of senators sons of senators sons
    After all, have you noticed
    The more they dole out Democracy over there
    The more they take it away over here?

Now, before it's too late to even talk about stuff like this, be a patriot.
    A True Patriot. The one that cares more about your country than forcing people to worship a flag.
    And let it Burn! Burn! Burn!
    To answer your question: Of course not. Why would I ever do such a thing?

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Not for personal reasons but I did participate in the burning for a strange performance art thing a friend did.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Certainly not, but I think it should be legal.

this law cracks me up. there's no way that they could ever impliment it. if you follow the existing statutes for what defines an american flag, and trust me they are very specific, you could pull all sorts of technicalities. you'd have to make a law that says you can't burn an image with thriteen stripes of laternating red and white and between 8(?) and 50 stars on a blue background in the top corner. and that's not even getting into the specific dimensions and type of fabric. anything else and you could argue that it was not an american flag, and just a peice of cloth with some pictures on it, which is perfectly legal to burn.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I burned a flag at an anti WTO rally/protest once. I think i was like 15.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Not yet

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

No I can't say that I have.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

i personally do not have a problem with flag burning but i do have a problem with people starting fires in dangerous areas

so people should not be arrested for desecrating a flag they should be arrested for burning without a permit, attempted arson,disorderly conduct and anything else that could happen to an out of control burning of polyester and cotton its just unsafe in my opinion

if they truly want to desecrate it they should just take a big old dump on it

everybody in the crowd there just drop trou and squeeze out a cleaveland steamer

or chop it up and roll it into tampons

burning a flag is the least desecrating thing i can think of

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

When I was a Girl Scout we "laid a flag to rest" which is a very detailed specific ritual of splitting the stripes, ripping out the stars and placing the whole lot one piece at a time into a wood fire. so yes I suppose I have burned a flag.

Yes I was a Girl Scout, my mother was the troupe leader.

K

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

No

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Certainly not, but I think it should be legal.
    actually, burning the american flag IS legal as long as it is in a state in which it would be deemed innapropriate for flying (tattered, touched the ground etc.) the proper procedure for doing such is to remove the blue field from the flag and keep it in a safe place then to burn the remaining portion of the flag and bury the ashes.

and no I havent.........

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    actually, burning the american flag IS legal as long as it is in a state in which it would be deemed innapropriate for flying (tattered, touched the ground etc.) the proper procedure for doing such is to remove the blue field from the flag and keep it in a safe place then to burn the remaining portion of the flag and bury the ashes.

and no I havent.........

I suppose, in an effort to be more clear, I should have said that it should remain legal.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

No. Never would. It should and will remain legal.

OEC

i dont have burned a flag directly but we put a NPD flag on top of a burning barricade. probably it burned away

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

burned, no. desecrated, yes. all for a free speech demonstration in sproul plaza some ten years ago..... should it be leagal? I thought it was. If it isn't, It should be. after all it's just a bunch of fabric sewn together. no more, no less. It's not like it's a holy relic. but then again, I don't believe in those either.
    Last edited by VoltaireBlue; 07-02-2006 at 11:55 AM. Reason: misspelled demonstration

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    So the issue of flag-burning has reared its puzzling head again. I was wondering if anyone here has ever burned a flag. I've never burned a flag and, to the best of my knowledge, despite knowing an awful lot of rebellious pyromaniacs, I don't think I know anyone who has ever burned a flag. Figured this called for some research.

Have you ever burned a flag of any kind? Have you ever burned an American flag?
    actualy yes don't ask why....

it was rebelious act of an teenager back then when we was bombed by nato forces....

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    actualy yes don't ask why....

it was rebelious act of an teenager back then when we was bombed by nato forces....
    I would have done the same if I were Serbian. I was utterly ashamed of my country (US) at that time. NATO? BLATO! I still want one of those target t-shirts

OEC

P.S. I loved the footage of Serbs fucking shit up at McDonalds. I can't think of a better target. Factory farm raised, soaked in preservatives, and boiled in lard. That sums it up.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

oh i never answerd the queston i think i burned a flag once not as a protest though i think it was one of them cemetary memorial day flags i just threw it in a campfire cause i heard it was evil now i think it is a bit hilarius

i'm sure the flag makers would secretly hope more people burned flags so they could sell more

i think it is so funny when you see forigners burning what looks like either construciton paper or painted bedsheets

i think it comes down to what is exactly is a "flag" and "what is desecration

was it desecration when def leppard wore their union jack shirts or when rocky wore the flag like trunks of apollo or when the hustler publisher wore one as a diaper

to be truly honest, I can't think of a single good reason why anyone would want to NOT destroy the flag. Or at least on the grounds of being opposed to destruction of property, why they would want to see anyone embrace it in the first place.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

now that I've had a few days to think about this I think that, while I personally don't give a shit, I think that it's fine to burn a flag but I also think that if your offended by someone burning something you believe in that strongly then you'd better take whatever actions you think are necassary because a declaration of war is a declaration of war and if your going to burn a flag then arm yourself because some people won't like it.

the flag is dead, long live the logo
    power to the company

(end lunatic rant)

I've never burned a flag and never would. But I believe that it should be lagal to do so, why else do we have the constitution other than to defend free will.

Quote Originally Posted by Geist42
    why else do we have the constitution other than to defend free will.
    I find it to be pretty odd how many people actually believe that the constitution and the revolutionary war are what gives us "freedom" and that we wouldn't have it without those things, and they don't find it odd at all that the war was against england, yet in the country of england they never overthrew the government, and they have all of the same freedoms today that we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I find it to be pretty odd how many people actually believe that the constitution and the revolutionary war are what gives us "freedom" and that we wouldn't have it without those things, and they don't find it odd at all that the war was against england, yet in the country of england they never overthrew the government, and they have all of the same freedoms today that we do.
    and a lot of that was due to our influence, and took quite a long time. An interesting thing to look at would be that if would england have all of those freedoms had we not revolted and created a new model for democracy (although our model wasnt entirely new it hadnt been seen in western civilization for a very long time.)

Given the literacy rate of the country until even a hundred years ago, not to mention the groups that were outright legally and socially barred from voting, it's really a strech as to just how much of a new model of democracy it was. So much of the mythology of america has very little to do with the way things were and are, that I can't believe people find it so hard to not be able to distinguish the two.

I'm not trying to say that America is better or worse than any other place. But for people to pass not only laws, but to devote thier entire life and world-view on idealogical concepts that are not only fictious, but for that fiction to take precident over physical reality, is insane to me. It has nothing to do with a flag, and the fact that anyone would even consider debating about the abilty to live thier lives as having anything to do with one, just demonstrates the truth of my arguement.

let me spell it out. you have the freedom of speech, of action, of assembly and worship because of just one person. these things are biological facts, not "rights". No one gave you the privaledge to do them, they can only try to assert the will to stop you from doing them if they choose to. by that fact the biggest threat to our personal liberaties is the government themselves, since they are the one's that have more control over our lives than any foreign power. and even they don't have much of it, when you take into account that there is no such thing as a government. it's just a bunch of people doing things, and each one of them is just one person. and that one person utlimately has only actions that are not dependant on anything else outside of themself, because anything else is just an idea that exists in that persons head and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Given the literacy rate of the country until even a hundred years ago, not to mention the groups that were outright legally and socially barred from voting, it's really a strech as to just how much of a new model of democracy it was. So much of the mythology of america has very little to do with the way things were and are, that I can't believe people find it so hard to not be able to distinguish the two.
    While true that the actuall implemantation of the american government was nowhere near as ideal as it looked on paper, from an ideological standpoint the whole thing was great and set a new model for government and all that. And when your talking about changing government ideology is usually a lot more important than actuall implementation, at least in the beggining.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Chilli
    i dont have burned a flag directly but we put a NPD flag on top of a burning barricade. probably it burned away
    Well, that's probably for the best, given the politics of the NPD.

To answer the question, no, I have not burned a flag, American or otherwise. If I were going to start, it would be the flag of a fucked up political group, and not a nation. The NPD and Hamas come to mind.

never

But with our conservative gov it could be a possibility. I am an Aussie.

+ Reply to Thread