Thread: Ads Asking Men for a "Domestic Violence Checkup"

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Ads Asking Men for a "Domestic Violence Checkup"

http://komo4.com/news/story.asp?ID=44605

Ads Ask Abusive Men To Get A 'Domestic Violence Checkup'

July 26, 2006

By Bryan Johnson

Ads Ask Men To Get A 'Domestic Violence Checkup'

SEATTLE - Two Seattle newspapers -- the Seattle Times and The Stranger -- and Metro buses will soon feature ads asking men with abusive behaviors to call for a "Men's Domestic Violence Checkup."

The program is funded by a grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. It's a first of its kind program in which men can call anonymously and confidentially and talk to clinical workers from the U.W. School of Social Work.

Although the workers will offer confidentially, they are still bound by state laws requiring them to report child abuse.

The co-director of the program Joan Zegree says police respond to 51,000 domestic violence calls every year in Washington State, and five times a month, someone dies as a result of domestic abuse.

One of those supporting the program is Mark Huston, who himself had completed treatment for abusive behavior.

"Three years ago I pushed my wife onto a couch," he said. "She called 911. I spent the weekend in jail, thinking about what I had done. And then I decided to do something about it."

Mark said before the 911 call, he had worried about his behavior but didn't know whom to contact. He says such a program could have helped him and will help others he knows.

The ads appearing in local newspapers will target men by using powerful images of victims of abuse and carrying messages such as "Abusing your family? Abusing alcohol or drugs? Not sure?" They conclude with the message: "Let's talk about your options. 1.800.MEN.1089.

"We thought that it would be important to find a way to reach out to men who don't know where to turn," Zegree says, "who can do it confidentially, they can do it all by phone and it's free. What could be easier?"

There is probably no more notorious case of domestic violence locally than what happened the afternoon of April 26, 2003, when then Tacoma Police chief David Brame murdered his wife Crystal and killed himself.

Crystal's father, Lane Judson, endorses the program.

"I'm here to say that if you have a son, a brother, a father, a friend, a co-worker, someone that you know who you think is hurting someone or their partner," he said. "Please help them make this call."

Judson says he doesn't know if David Brame would have called, or if this program would have saved Crystal. But he said: "Maybe, maybe with such a program they would be still be alive."

No one knows if this program will work. But Seattle police say if it stops one brawl, if it saves one life, it's worth it.

The telephone number is 1-800-MEN-1089 will be in operation Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The program will last at least one year.

For More Information:

www.menscheckup.org

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Ads Asking Men for a "Domestic Violence Checkup"

i'm all for ending Demostic abuse,but do you really think Abusive men are going to call what is the equivelent to a Teen Suicide hotline?...i don't...

and uh...

"Three years ago I pushed my wife onto a couch," he said. "She called 911. I spent the weekend in jail, thinking about what I had done. And then I decided to do something about it."

like i said,i'm compleatly against that shit..but pushing her on the couch?

hmm...i don't mean to sound like an ass..

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

B.J. Shae (Talk show Radio Dj on 99.9 The Rock) was talking about this same thing. I think that it is totally one sided. Men and women both abuse each other. Granted most of the time the pyschical abuse comes from the man... BUT mental abuse is more from women.

Oh and one last thing... Thanks for setting up a hotline with hours... That is one way to tell that this thing is going to fail...

I can see it now...

"Your honor my client never called the hotlione because her husband was beating her during business hours..."

"Your Honor my client never called the hotline, because his wife was online, and on the phone during business hours. If he didn't take care of the kids, then he wouldn't get any..."

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    B.J. Shae (Talk show Radio Dj on 99.9 The Rock) was talking about this same thing.
    I was listening to him this morning, just like every other morning! Hah! I love the show....I'm a proud H-Hole Army Pvt.

Anyways...thats where I got this story from.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

It's a pretty scary thought that the members on here seem to think that physical and emotional fighting is part of a normal relationship.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

what about something for guys to go to when their girls go nuts?

ive know a few guys with abusive girlfriends

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    It's a pretty scary thought that the members on here seem to think that physical and emotional fighting is part of a normal relationship.
    I think it is more common to have a relationship where you end up fighting with the other person than not. Most people have more than one relationship in their lives. If you find someone you don't want to fight with, you stay with them, so statistically there would be one nonfighting relationship out of many.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I guess you're right. maybe I'm using normal in an off context here. a "relationship" where two people don't really get along would be common and "normal" today. I suppose It's just a matter of being able to recognize that is not really how a relationship is supposed to be.. but if people had that abilty, then it wouldn't be the common situation that it is. And that's the sad part. I just take it for granted that people don't have an awareness that there is something wrong. I've always felt that way about pretty much everything. Which isn't to say that I ever did anything right for the most part, especially in relationships...

anything that raises people's awareness about their situation, for good or bad, is an improvement. I don't know how well this program will work, but if it does help anyone get through an abusive environment, then it's worthwhile.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I guess you're right. maybe I'm using normal in an off context here. a "relationship" where two people don't really get along would be common and "normal" today. I suppose It's just a matter of being able to recognize that is not really how a relationship is supposed to be.. but if people had that abilty, then it wouldn't be the common situation that it is. And that's the sad part. I just take it for granted that people don't have an awareness that there is something wrong. I've always felt that way about pretty much everything. Which isn't to say that I ever did anything right for the most part, especially in relationships...

anything that raises people's awareness about their situation, for good or bad, is an improvement. I don't know how well this program will work, but if it does help anyone get through an abusive environment, then it's worthwhile.
    yeah it is. I remember back in arizona, theyre actually trying tog et same gendered couples to come out about domestic abuse too. it hits everyone

+ Reply to Thread