+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: WTF is "metrosexuality"?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default WTF is "metrosexuality"?

Color me confused. The supposition I have operated from since adolescence is to advance acceptance of different sexualities between consenting adults. I will admit that I tend to be oblivious to pop cultural cues. I have an insulated group of friends and tend to bond with folks with similar interests.

What does "metrosexuality" mean?

My current take is: It is a term used to label some males as "effeminate". It seems to be used as a pejorative. Thus, it would seem to be a reactionary term. Yet, I hear it spring from the mouth of people who do not seem bigoted in the slightest.

Is a metrosexual a well-dressed man?
    Is it one overly concerned with appearance? A priss?
    Does it denote one prone to designer labels?

WTF is it? It seems somehow odious, but I can't reference why.

OEC

Default Re: WTF is "metrosexuality"?

From what i've seen, it usually denotes a man who spends alot of time getting designer clothes, doing his hair etc. The opposite of the iconic male in terms of appearance.

my take is someone who is straight..yet does more opposite sex like stuff..
    i.e. a straight laced guy who gets manicures, spends 3 hours on his hair, uses flowery lotion... that sorta thing.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

all i've gotten from the term metro sexual is a guy who actually cares bout how he looks. yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Rabbit
    From what i've seen, it usually denotes a man who spends alot of time getting designer clothes, doing his hair etc. The opposite of the iconic male in terms of appearance.
    That's the impression I have. They do seem to expand it to anyone who doesn't fit the mold, however.

OEC

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

What does "metrosexual" mean?
    it means a guy whos been fooled by the beauty industry to fork out alot of money for shit he doesnt need

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    What does "metrosexual" mean?
    it means a guy whos been fooled by the beauty industry to fork out alot of money for shit he doesnt need
    So a cad, basically. I guess what I don't like about the term is it is so ubiquitous. I've never been called one (except when I had to wear a suit for moot court haha), but it would seem easy to overuse.

OEC

Someone who has sex with trains?

Seriously it depends on who is using the word. It pretty much means a guy who does more than me when it comes to his looks or likes things I consider girly. I of course being whoever uses the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Someone who has sex with trains?

Seriously it depends on who is using the word. It pretty much means a guy who does more than me when it comes to his looks or likes things I consider girly. I of course being whoever uses the term.
    Yeah. The ubiquity of it is what is kind of annoying. I never use the term personally. Bleh, sometimes the english language annoys me. The lack of precision makes it a great language of poetry, but not always one of truth.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It's a well kemped style, designed to communicate success, sensitivity, and attention to detail, that is believed to appeal to city women but would come across as threateningly over done for simple country folk. Similar to how a lumberjack could come across as an unsophisticated dolt at a hip urban nightclub.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    It's a well kemped style, designed to communicate success, sensitivity, and attention to detail, that is believed to appeal to city women but would come across as threateningly over done for simple country folk. Similar to how a lumberjack could come across as an unsophisticated dolt at a hip urban nightclub.
    I hear that.

OEC

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

yeah... just think christian bale in "american psycho"... haha i think that pretty much sums it up right there, especially whenever he talks about the stuff he does/wears to look fabulous.

but... i still prefer him running naked down the hallway with a chainsaw... mmmm

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I believe it comes from the TV show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The somewhat bigoted idea being that somehow gay men are on top of what they look like and straight guys need help and I guess metrosexual guys have already received the needed grooming tips. In common usage, pretty much what Forrest said.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    yeah... just think christian bale in "american psycho"... haha i think that pretty much sums it up right there, especially whenever he talks about the stuff he does/wears to look fabulous.

but... i still prefer him running naked down the hallway with a chainsaw... mmmm
    Is there a chainsaw scene in the movie version of American Psycho? I don't recall that from the book, but then again it is my least favorite Bret Easton Ellis read and I did do some skimming.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

a gay guy who does everything a gay guy does, but says hes straight

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Is there a chainsaw scene in the movie version of American Psycho? I don't recall that from the book, but then again it is my least favorite Bret Easton Ellis read and I did do some skimming.
    yes there is

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry

from what i've heard that sounds about right. in the past week, everyone i know has been talking about this movie in minute detail and i haven't seen it. goddammit.

i also want to read this book (and the others) as well... i'm not big on "let's watch the movie instead".

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I believe it comes from the TV show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The somewhat bigoted idea being that somehow gay men are on top of what they look like and straight guys need help and I guess metrosexual guys have already received the needed grooming tips. In common usage, pretty much what Forrest said.
    I've heard of that show. That's kind of sad it came into common parlance.

OEC

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

laimans, metrosexual is a straight guy who looks gay.
    not nelly gay but maybe butch gay. does their hair, gets mannies (sometimes) wears spf in the sun, pays fifty bucks for designer vintage shirts........

my real question is when did emo start getting confused with goth and modde?

I sometimes wear stuff modd style (loose red and white and black tie with black dress shirts and slacks) and get told it looks emo when im actually goth. i thought emo was when a guy wore tight clothees that could be mistaken as girl clothes that have kind of a goth flare to em?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    a gay guy who does everything a gay guy does, but says hes straight

Right on the nosey!

The total immascualtion of the male chaivenist by a feminist socitey seeking a balance between the women who want to be men, we end up with guys that act more femine than the feminists.

k

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Right on the nosey!

The total immascualtion of the male chaivenist by a feminist socitey seeking a balance between the women who want to be men, we end up with guys that act more femine than the feminists.

k
    wow. You'd say it goes that far? Do you see that as a good thing? i think it would depend on whether they were naturally that way. I hear women complaining about this sometimes.

OEC

south park has a really funny episode on it

http://allsp.com/

season 7 episode 5

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

heh yeah... the chainsaw scene is my favorite.
    sara... read the book AND watch the movie mmm.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Insert incredibly inapproriate and politically incorrect comment about guys like that here----------->

Quote Originally Posted by Sara X
    from what i've heard that sounds about right. in the past week, everyone i know has been talking about this movie in minute detail and i haven't seen it. goddammit.

i also want to read this book (and the others) as well... i'm not big on "let's watch the movie instead".
    Rules of Attraction is my favorite of his by far. The movie is okay and Forrest and I did some photography for LA display for it, but the book is a really great read.

I mean don't get me wrong i like a guy who cleans under his finger nails and washes his feet as much as the next girl but a guy who yells at the coffee wench about taking too long with half caf non fat caramel mocciato becasue he's late for a pedicure gets on my nerves.

yes i do believe metro sexuality a side effect of the way society has unbalanced it self. what with the unfeminine females working like men, dressing like men and for the most part behaving like men we needed some one to frequent salons, shop like clothes horses, squeal when things got icky or messy and in general be the damsel in distress. Women complained long enough about wanting a sensitive guy who cleaned up after himself and tada! MetroSexuality. The lot of it makes me sick. It used ot be that women were the "put upon" sex, being thought of as weaker, physically, given to hysterical emotional out bursts, affinity for match making, colour co-ordination, shopping and chocolate. Then we had the feminist movement making men the weaker sex for some reason it bacame a part of life for men to be hen pecked and pussy whipped, which used to mark a man for ridicule. I personally like my men chauvanistic. The more they act like they are clueless when it comes to household chores and shopping, the more they pretend to know everything about fixing everything from fences to computers the more I love them.

K

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    laimans, metrosexual is a straight guy who looks gay.
    not nelly gay but maybe butch gay. does their hair, gets mannies (sometimes) wears spf in the sun, pays fifty bucks for designer vintage shirts........

my real question is when did emo start getting confused with goth and modde?

I sometimes wear stuff modd style (loose red and white and black tie with black dress shirts and slacks) and get told it looks emo when im actually goth. i thought emo was when a guy wore tight clothees that could be mistaken as girl clothes that have kind of a goth flare to em?
    I'll have to admit the cultural cues elude me these days. Back in the early 90s, emo tended to be mega-sensitive guys crooning "pop-punk" songs about failed relationships. I remember more earth tones and an ever present backpack. My guess is the color black is automatically (and wrongly) being assumed to be "goth".

OEC

All words in parenthesis appear devoid of any actual context

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I mean don't get me wrong i like a guy who cleans under his finger nails and washes his feet as much as the next girl but a guy who yells at the coffee wench about taking too long with half caf non fat caramel mocciato becasue he's late for a pedicure gets on my nerves.

yes i do believe metro sexuality a side effect of the way society has unbalanced it self. what with the unfeminine females working like men, dressing like men and for the most part behaving like men we needed some one to frequent salons, shop like clothes horses, squeal when things got icky or messy and in general be the damsel in distress. Women complained long enough about wanting a sensitive guy who cleaned up after himself and tada! MetroSexuality. The lot of it makes me sick. It used ot be that women were the "put upon" sex, being thought of as weaker, physically, given to hysterical emotional out bursts, affinity for match making, colour co-ordination, shopping and chocolate. Then we had the feminist movement making men the weaker sex for some reason it bacame a part of life for men to be hen pecked and pussy whipped, which used to mark a man for ridicule. I personally like my men chauvanistic. The more they act like they are clueless when it comes to household chores and shopping, the more they pretend to know everything about fixing everything from fences to computers the more I love them.

K
    haha You rock Keiko

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    Insert incredibly inapproriate and politically incorrect comment about guys like that here----------->

Thanks for all the responses. It is as ubiquitous as I reckoned.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't really like the notion that a matriarchal society is abnormal. so far the societies governed by men have managed a good job at fucking everything up. but ya know, what I really don't like is the whole "battle of the sexes" thing. it pretty much just encourages a male dominated society to me misogynistic, and honestly, anything that divides people and focus on making them not work togther is retarded.

also since we all seem to be about fighting for gender rights, why are we only going to allow them so long as they are based on the gender norm?If a man wants to sew, cook, clean why does that make him any less of a man, or gay? (the general false implication here being that gays ARE less of men.) that doesn't sound progresssive to me.

Bedlamite

I'm all keen with Keiko's honesty about that stuff. I too rather enjoy a slightly more traditional feminine role of being a power behind the throne, but I don't think that metrosexuality is really a bad thing, anymore than its bad for a gay man to be a strong, silent construction worker who drinks beer.

It seems that as Popular Culture begins to feed on itself, and become a blackhole of weirdness, then we begin to feed more fully on stereotypes. I see a general responce to those steriotypes more and more. I think metrosexuality is for young men who are lost in the sea of Baby-Boom mothers who were convinced that since they wanted to be superwomen, that the rest of us wanted to be free of makeup, corsets and high heels, and have a career like the men did, and be wive's and mothers, but be embarrassed and apologetic.

So I have to agree with Keiko on the point that Metrosexuality IS a response. For a long time and still among most feminists, its NOT OK for a woman to wear makeup and dresses, to want pedicures and such. So someone rushed in to fill the void with a sort of feministic backlash. I -don't- think its a bad thing. It may not be everyone's bag, it may be annoying, but continuing diversity of interests can only be a good thing for everyone.

Its too idealistic to think that something like Metrosexuality could underline the fact that not all men who are creative, clean, and interested in clothing are Gay. Or it could be just changing one stereotype for another.

But then again, I also thing that the Goth movement was a backlash against the Demonisation of classical women's roles as sexual objects obsessed with beauty and temptation more than the 'practical' side of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't really like the notion that a matriarchal society is abnormal. so far the societies governed by men have managed a good job at fucking everything up. but ya know, what I really don't like is the whole "battle of the sexes" thing. it pretty much just encourages a male dominated society to me misogynistic, and honestly, anything that divides people and focus on making them not work togther is retarded.

also since we all seem to be about fighting for gender rights, why are we only going to allow them so long as they are based on the gender norm?If a man wants to sew, cook, clean why does that make him any less of a man, or gay? (the general false implication here being that gays ARE less of men.) that doesn't sound progresssive to me.

i'm not saying htere's anything wrong with a matriarchal society. I'm all for it. but that's not what we have in the states. We have a pro feminist, the woman is always right all men are dogs and they suck, we only need them because a vibrator can't mow the lawn etc. mindset for the overmind in the US.
    I'm all for women in charge, as leaders and equals, not parading around as reverse-chauvanistc bull dykes with chips on thier shoulders.

jsut like i'm all for men that fix cars and leave greasy footprints all over the freshly mopped floors, that can appriciate a woman for her physical assets as well as remember when her birthday is, or buy her flowers just because.

A man that lieks to be clean, cook and sew is fine. a gu ythat isn't inot foot ball is cool. a guy that can dress well and colour coordinate is fine, as long as deep down he's still a masculine primal being.

Gay guys are not "less than" other men. Straight guys are not more than other men. Heck bi guys are right up there. But a being that is a man and acts like a pussy is less than all of the above.

K

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Metrosexuality means doing whatever it takes to get laid and in this day and age it means getting manicures and all that stuff like caring about what colour to paint the walls and what kind of sofa to buy(cause if she likes it I might get some) and what kind of clothes to wear(cause if it looks good I might get noticed...and get some) or what cologne to wear(cause she might be blind and if I smell good I might get some). Metrosexuals are the kind of guys who practice thier smiles when noones looking, try on clothes to see how they look not just how they fit

there's more but that's the jist of it, I know a few and that's how it is

Keioko i <3 you

hahaha

That's kind of the deviant undertone I see when people use "metrosexual" as a missive. I see it both ways, however. It is a bit silly when guys use "metrosexuality" as a front. I think maybe keiko and other women just pick up a phony act in some cases and reject it.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    Metrosexuality means doing whatever it takes to get laid and in this day and age it means getting manicures and all that stuff like caring about what colour to paint the walls and what kind of sofa to buy(cause if she likes it I might get some) and what kind of clothes to wear(cause if it looks good I might get noticed...and get some) or what cologne to wear(cause she might be blind and if I smell good I might get some). Metrosexuals are the kind of guys who practice thier smiles when noones looking, try on clothes to see how they look not just how they fit

there's more but that's the jist of it, I know a few and that's how it is

I don't think the obvious metrosexual "gets laid" as much as you think (if they're that obvious about it).

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I don't think the obvious metrosexual "gets laid" as much as you think (if they're that obvious about it).

OEC
    I never said they did. I guess I should have said they'll do whatever they 'think' it takes...

I love a guy who shaves his body hair and tidies up the eyebrows.

Magdalene's Avatar Member

It's not progressive, at all. I agree with you...we need to stop trying to divide people like this. Stereotyping never ended well.

+ Reply to Thread