+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Kitten Help

Default New Kitten Help

So one of my female cats had 3 babies last night and while two of them are fine theres always a runt. He was very cold but ive been keeping him warm in a tempature controlled room and a blanket and checking on him every 30 minutes.

I believe he has a sinus infection and cant smell so i've been hand feeding him with a dropper. During this point a huge mucus loogi came out of his mouth (he breathes through his mouth currently) so im hoping im helping him somewhat..

i read online that putting him in a bathroom with a steamy shower would help clear some of the mucus problem.

is there any other recommendations to try? i dont have any money really for a vet

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: New Kitten Help

It sounds really touch and go. I'd just keep doing what you are doing. If the lungs are infected, his chances are not going to be good. You have to draw the fluid out.

OEC

VE,

I looked up some respiratory issues in cats. You should try to determine if there is wheezing (it is sometimes barely evident in a tiny cat).

OEC

its kinda like wheezing..think of a sick kid who has massive snot bubbles and you can hear it when he tries to breathe through his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    its kinda like wheezing..think of a sick kid who has massive snot bubbles and you can hear it when he tries to breathe through his nose.
    I'm not an expert on such matters, but that is a bad sign. You would probably need a vet to clear out the buildup (they use this strawlike device). Beyond that, it's just touch and go. I could try to raise some cash for a vet on *******, but the logistics of that are difficult.

OEC

my gas just got shut off so i cant try the shower method..although im going to try to put my steamer i use in a bathroom and fake a shower instead..
    he seems to be fine really..i just fed him again, he is warm, he can meow like nobodies business..i think he just has some crap stuck in him from birth that didnt come out... i hope the steam room will help him release some of whatevers lodged in him.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Do the fake bathroom thing, and judge how he is doing by his body language, as long as the breathing isnt labored then just give it a day or two and hopefully hell be fine

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    my gas just got shut off so i cant try the shower method..although im going to try to put my steamer i use in a bathroom and fake a shower instead..
    he seems to be fine really..i just fed him again, he is warm, he can meow like nobodies business..i think he just has some crap stuck in him from birth that didnt come out... i hope the steam room will help him release some of whatevers lodged in him.
    He'll probably be ok then (if he is now improving) You just never really know with baby kittens. Sounds like you're doing a great job with him.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

awww I hope he gets better. My cat birch was a runt. she's tiny. she's awesome. I hope yours is okay. runts are the best.
    Last edited by VoltaireBlue; 07-29-2006 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typos

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

awwww voldta had babies! hes a mommy
    i hope the little baby will be okay... but of course we want pictures hehe!

ps if you ever have an orange cat... name it marvin for me hehee... im not allowed pets in my place, but i SOOOO want a fat fluffy orange cat named marvin.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

poor kitty. if the fake steamer doesn't work try boiling a big pot of water and pouring it in a bowl near the kitty and cover both kitty and bowl with a big towel to trap the steam in with the kitty. but only in five minute increments. then wipe the kitty's nose with a warm damp wash cloth. other than that what you've been doing is pretty much it. and rub his ears. that is what all kitties need.

K

well some sorta update.. the steam didnt really work well.. least it doesnt seem to be. he still breathes heavily (long breathes like a fish outta water struggling) but when i held his feeding sryinge in his mouth he started breathing normally..and actually started chewing on my finger..good news!
    but after i take out the syringe he goes back to long breathes.. as much as i want to, i cant sit holding a syringe in his mouth all night long for fear id fall asleep

if i can only get what's lodged in his little throat out, he may be able to breathe normally again...

and when i rub the back of his head, both ears move like he's a little puppet..its kinda cute.. he gave two big much needed yawns after that... hopefully he will recover ~_*
    i dont wanna bury more kitties this year :\

i posted a blog on my my**** profile (my****.com/jadeddreads)
    to see if anybody is willing to donate anything at all to help him get to a vet. Thanks OEC for the idea..maybe it will work. The vet said they want $95 JUST to look at him! I dont have that kinda cash! :|
    heres a photo of Jack though as requested.

Just figured id give the last update on the little guy. And to say a special thanks to someone who shall remain nameless for the generous donation to help Jack.

The vet has said that he had a cleft pallete (sp?) which is basically a birth defect that goes straight to his lungs, so if he was to eat anything he would have eventually drowned. So the humane thing to do was put him to sleep as survival was slim to none (1% they said if they tried surgery).
    They gave me a little plaque with his feet prints to keep.
    Thank you to everybody who wished him well and the donations to try and save little jack.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

awww so sad, poor little jack):
    Ive always had runts..
    I once had a runt named roswell, he had these awesome massive alien eyes and he was the coolest crazy cat when he grew up.
    And I had a runt named Gabby, I fed him through a syringe for weeks, his mommy had left him at only a couple weeks old, and he grew up to swim in our swimming pool and lounge in our hottub, this was when I worked at blockbuster, so he had his own little bed on the counter and everyone knew him, he was my baby!
    Now I have cheese who was the runt, and shes the best kitty ever , and she can jump like nobodies buisness...
    Poor little jack is in kitty heaven, hanging in the hottub right now(:

thanks hun.. im sure he is having a ball (of yarn) in his hottub up there

awwww poor lil jack... at least he would be happy knowing you tried to help him out n stuff
    volta rocks

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Even though it was the proper thing to do, it is always sad when you lose such a dear little thing. My heart goes out to you.

I'm sure Jack is happy in kitty heaven.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I gaurntee you my Furber is taking care of little Jack. O goodness it's so sad *bawls* You've gotta be the best kitty daddy ever Voldta.

k

he totally is <3

Wow, this story made me speechless.
    I've never heard of a cat having that kind of birth defect. Too sad.

My friend in Boca Raton had 2 cats from the same litter a boy and a girl, they both had some kind of brain problem they wanted to put them down.
    The cat is so loving, and it sticks to her side like an infant on her hip.
    The cat is very odd looking, and it broke my heart to see it suffering, having trouble licking itself, or eating or drinking water, it could barely walk and was almost 17 yrs old or something crazy like that.

That's sad to hear about your friends kitties Khaos. Jack has a special place in my heart that I even wrote a song about him..even though he was a few days old before I had to put him down.

I try to be the best I can be to my kitties, because i'm just a animal lover in general..but sadly I've also had to put down another 2 kitties since then, one was a still birth and one had kidney failure..she was special as well and I wrote about her on one of my blogs. *sigh*

Sometimes I wish I didn't have such a big heart. It would make life easier sometimes, but I know that dealing with destruction and pain is part of life and I have to deal with the outcome regardless of what happens.

Here is the shirt i'm currently wearing..which is funny this thread popped up again..lol :^)

That was sad : (.

That shirt is literally a riot, I laughed SO loud when I saw it my husband didnt know what in the hell went wrong with me.

Ace's Avatar Senior Member

Aww...hearing about Jack made me so upset (and I can't believe the vet would charge that much just to see him! ). Whom ever made that donation is a wonderful person.

I got my cat through my friend, who found him and his sister abandoned and nursed them back to health.

+ Reply to Thread