+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thought on "World Trade Center"

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Default Thought on "World Trade Center"

How do you guys feel about this movie coming out? Honestly i think its way too soon.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Thought on "World Trade Center"

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    How do you guys feel about this movie coming out? Honestly i think its way too soon.
    I don't think it is too soon. We really need to be able to accept and deal with it as a part of our history. I guess the question is: How does it portray the actual event? I'm skeptical given some of the precedents set by Oliver Stone and others.

OEC

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

I don't think it's too soon...I just think its fucking stupid...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm with killerkat. The trailers make it look like just a tearjerker. I found watching the news when it happened enough of a tearjerker myself.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I agree that it'a not too soon to do it cus they made that one about the passengers who fought back and heard it was really good. As long as we don't start having car sales and furniture sales on 911, im content.

living here in nyc at the time, i'd rather not have a movie about this.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'm not going to see it, just like I didn't see Munich. Not that I don't want to face uncomfortable realities, actually I kinda do, which is why I don't like these movies. Pretty much honestly what it boils down to is that any movie about terrorism after 9/11 is going to embelish the BS propaghanda line about Terrorism with a capital T that means when (insert Good Guys here) commits an act of terrorism it's good, but when (insert Bad Guys here) commits an act of terrorism it's bad. Doesn't help the fact that it's being released at a point in time when the presidents approval ratings are at an all time low and is a great oppurtunity to remind us all about how bloodthristy Terrorists are hiding in our backyards and we need the good old boys at the military industrial complex to save our souls. Maybe if these movies were made from a source that I could believe possesed a degree of objectivity, then they might be a fitting historical account, otherwise, I doubt it.

I think i'll stick to Fox News for my portrayols of semi-factual events. It's free and thier actors are much more entertaining.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yeah i think this is just kind of moronic and a way to make money off of something that people will obviusly make a big deal over. And i have a feeling its going to be strongly laced with patriotic bullshit, and if it isnt your going to have people pickiting it and condemning it all over the place.

My opinion is that most people close enough to the events of 9/11 don't want to relive that shit, in a movie or otherwise.

Also, part of the problem with movies like this is that everything is a foregone conclusion; one of the elements that makes real life heroics worth calling them such is that the actions are performed in a context of fear and uncertainty.

The thing is, no one owns the tragedy of the World Trade Center attacks. Stone is from New York as well.

As cynical as I am I want to believe he is doing this for something besides money. This does not guarantee or even imply that this will be a good movie. I personally find most of Stones work to make the themes of the movies blunt and repetative and only enjoyed a very few. Personally that has more impact on whether I will see the movie or not.

But I am on the wrong coast to get a say in this. It is too abstract for me outside of my friends from the area. I have to ask, when is it not too soon? When is it ok to do this? Who get's to decide?

+ Reply to Thread