+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Receiving of Presents/Gifts

Mother Superior

Default Receiving of Presents/Gifts

Do you express your disappointment at a gift you receive or are you tactful when getting something extremely cheap or lame? I went to a baby shower this weekend and the gifts I felt were questionable. I would never say anything to guests of the shower or to the hostess. I assume they buy what they can afford and do the best they can. It's the thought that counts right? Sound off.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Receiving of Presents/Gifts

If it was a birthday gift, I'd thank the person for being thoughtful, but I wouldn't go on and on about liking it, if I didn't. If it was a one-time gift, like a baby shower or graduation, then you don't have to worry about getting the same loathsome gift year after year. Of course, it is great if someone thinks of something perfect, but mostly it is just nice if folks are thinking of you on a special day. (Thanks for the birthday wishes with lewd Winnie, by the way.)

I always think I'm trying to be tactful but I'm just not much of an actor.

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    (Thanks for the birthday wishes with lewd Winnie, by the way.)
    You're welcomed. I dreamt about Blue Blood this morning. I was at the airport going to Europe and I was chatting in the lounge with some members. I gave Voldta a kiss on the cheek when I greeted him and the others, haha. He stuck his face out like a coy little boy and batted his eyelashes. He said "kisses on cheeks only girls". As ifffffffffffffff , HAHA.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

I always act like its just what I wanted, cause really people give gifts to make themselves feel good...so I just feel better that way. Maybe im just a people pleaser

Although my cousins were completely different, if they got something they didn't want they'd say "I dont want this" or "oh" and through it behind them on the floor. My parents always thought it was so rude. And it really is

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I really do my best to be tactful, but sometimes it's obvious *cringe*. Alot of times though since people rarely know what to get me, unless they're really good at gift shopping, they get genuine suprise that is really easy to turn into tact Or they get the "Yay Hello Kitty Stuff" smile. I use that one alot.

K

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

It's the thought that counts. If I get something I'm not overly thrilled about, I smile, am gracious, and thank them for thier thoughtfulness.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I am usually just happy to get a present. I'm kind of a sucker for weird/ugly/strange things so I tend to be excited whether or not it's something I really wanted.

xviolentxdelightx's Avatar Junior Member

I either ask for money to buy my own
    or do a list of what I want.
    That way you can never be disappointed
    x

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

never gotten a crappy gift I didn't like

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

hah i got animal crackers for my birthday... freaking ANIMAL CRACKERS hahaa it was so funny! my mom found them at toys r us... she just got me stuff off my baby registry this year, so that was alright... for myself i got some dried mangoes mmmmmmm *drool* and TEA! my brother and his GF got me tea
    i love tea.
    but yeah ive never gotten any gifts i really actually didnt like :S so i dunno there... still have to find a good little used dishwasher for my birthday hehe jamie said hed buy me one
    TIME FOR MANGOES AND TEA!!!!

your askkin a guy whos mother likes to give him green fuckin socks at X-mas thinkin he'll have more money !??

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

well, depends on the situation & the person.

my aunt, every xmas she seems to buy me the lamest gifts. like one year when i was a kid she bought me a little vacuum thing. yeah, great gift for a kid
    & then like last year she bought me a mary kate & ashley dvd. 0.o
    so i usually say thanks to her but i politely tell her that its not what i like. that way i dont have to get the same crappy thing next year.

i dont want her thinking i'm some huge mary kate & ashley fan or something. a;dja;fadfdf that wouldnt be pretty.

but sometimes, i am forced to be tactful.

my grandmother buys me a bible or some religious book every stinking year.
    & well, it would be the end of my life if i said something to her about it.
    my parnets would murder me. haha. so yeah

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Well, year after year my mother goes to these young-teenager-preppy girl clothing stores and buys me stuff from them for my birthday. Year after year I tell her " mom, I dont wear this stuff, stop buying it for me". But I guess thats different than if it were a co worker who got me a red/white/blue muffin baking kit for a wedding gift. I was just happy that my coworker had thought of me at all, and thanked her over and over.

+ Reply to Thread