+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is madonna's crucifixion performance worth legal action?

and your little dog too

Default is madonna's crucifixion performance worth legal action?

Germans ponder legal action over Madonna's crucifixion stunt

from cbc

German prosecutors are threatening to monitor Madonna's weekend concert in Duesseldorf to see if she repeats her mock crucifixion scene.

Madonna's mock crucifixion scene as she performed it in London earlier this month. German prosecutors say they'll monitor her performance in Duesseldorf. (Dave Hogan/Getty images) The crucifixion scene, which drew fire from religious leaders in Rome earlier this month, features the pop star wearing a crown of fake thorns and performing on a mirrored cross.

Johannes Mocken, a spokesman for prosecutors in Duesseldorf, said Tuesday that authorities would be watching her concert on Sunday to see if legal action is warranted.

The crucifixion scene could be construed as insulting religious beliefs, he said, but he admitted it might also be permitted under laws protecting artistic freedom.

Madonna, who will be 48 on Wednesday, has included the scene from the outset of her worldwide Confessions tour.

In Rome, Muslim, Jewish and Roman Catholic leaders were united in condemning her performance, which drew 70,000 fans.

"Being raised on a cross with a crown of thorns like a modern Christ is absurd," Rev. Manfredo Leone said after last Sunday's performance.

"Doing it in the cradle of Christianity comes close to blasphemy."

Religious leaders in the U.S. also criticized the stunt as disrespectful, but the singer recently won a battle to keep the crucifixion scene in the program Live to Tell, scheduled to air on U.S. network NBC in November.

Madonna, who was raised Catholic, has made provocative and sexually charged performances throughout her career.

Her representatives told wire services the scene is not disrespectful toward the church.

After the Duesseldorf concert, Madonna will be in Hanover, Germany, on Aug. 22 and then go on to Paris.

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: is madonna's crucifixion performance worth legal action?

She should be cruicified for this!

Mother Superior

Madonna is so boring. Filthy rich but boring. I never liked her after her first album. I like the songs like "Burning Up", "Physical Attraction" and " I know It" off of her debut opus. Not the radio hits. She needs to adopt that baby she has been wanting to or have another child, she turned 48 this month but if any woman could do it, she could. She has the resources and in great physical shape.

Mother Superior

I guess it would help if I answered the damn question : I saw photos of her doing this, she looks like an ass.It's her right to do as she pleases though. I don't know what she is thinking.... a crown of thorns is so passe`.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

It's not the first time she's made an ass of herself. not too long ago, she tried to do the whole revolutionary thing, and dressed up like che guevarro.... that was just as retarded as the cucifixion. I can't stand her, or any of her music. I think she pretty much sucks as a person too.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

its Madonna, why the fuck does anyone care about her attention whoring stunts anymore?

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    its Madonna, why the fuck does anyone care about her attention whoring stunts anymore?
    Because it's Madonna.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Because it's Madonna.
    yeah but honestly, shes been doing the same crap for 20 years. Its kind of old, and expected.

You guys look at this as a bad thing, but what she is doing is really important. Some may say she is making a statement, or exploring her own spiritual beliefs. Some may say she is just trying to shock people and get attention again. I say, at least she is too busy to be in another movie.

Well she is getting world wide publicity from it and drawing the crowds in so for her it is a way of making money.

If people had ignored the action and given her no media on it probably would have been dropped as a waste of money as it would not have created controverse.

She will probably follow the concerts with an appology, if she has not already, which of course some people will critise as not being genuine so giving greater publicity for her music and improved sales.

I wonder if she's realy gonna sing in moscow......
    she said she doesn't care about all threats she got from russian mafia....
    well... thay said they gonna kill both her an her dother if she does the crusifiction scene in moscow.... and after that she said she doesn't care and that she will do it... I say she's stupid... if she just knew who's she messing with

im pretty sure that even the russian mob couldnt get away with something that high profile, especially if they publicly threatened to do it first. But in any case im sure if she does it shell have really tight beefed up security.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

the people who paid to see it could take legal action to get their money back, citing the legal precedent "She's an attention whore and we didn't get our money's worth."

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

the worst thing to do to madonna is ignore her

there is no such thing as bad publicity

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I just wonder if she thought that up herself, besides that well broad wants to crucifie herself well why not, of course until a minute ago that I didn't even know about all that anyway

"insulting religious beliefs" should never be a crime, anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    "insulting religious beliefs" should never be a crime, anywhere
    I agree.

What a shit-heel. Give me a break, maybe next she'll float a statue of herself down the fucking Thames like Micheal Jackson or something.

+ Reply to Thread