+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

autumn's Avatar Member

Default Re: Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

I wouldn't dye my pet manic panic simply b/c I'm against animal testing! People really should look into this. It is so sick the torture they put the animals through.

Quote Originally Posted by autumn
    I wouldn't dye my pet manic panic simply b/c I'm against animal testing! People really should look into this. It is so sick the torture they put the animals through.
    Manic Panic is supposed to be cruely free (no animal testing) and has been so at least since I was dropping out of beauty school. It was kinda a big deal way way back. Have you hear different from somewhere?

autumn's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Manic Panic is supposed to be cruely free (no animal testing) and has been so at least since I was dropping out of beauty school. It was kinda a big deal way way back. Have you hear different from somewhere?
    No I hadn't checked into Manic Panic. I was simply stating my feelings on the act of dying a pet with anything whether it be manic panic, kool-aid, etc. Being that I'm strongly against animal testing and all.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

do you eat animals?

autumn's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    do you eat animals?
    No I am vegetarian.

common sense ,would you knowingly eat or drink some think that is harmfull and could possibly kill you ,,,,

then dont do it too a animal !

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

well... dont give chocolate to an animal. unless its carob chocolate... EAT ALL THE CHOCOLATE YOURSELF!!!! (bonus! )

my parents gave my dog a mowhawk once, at the dog groomers... she comes home and hid under the table for like... the rest of the day looking all like "why did you let them do this to me mom?? COME ON!!"
    she seriously looked retarded
    it wasnt even a cool mowhawk. i could have done a way better job.

Leisel's Avatar Junior Member

Yeah, chocolate seems to be the one that most everyone knows about but there are others that pose health risks as well:

Dogs:
    # Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
    # Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
    # Rhubarb leaves
    # Mouldy/spoiled foods
    # Alcohol
    # Yeast dough
    # Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
    # Hops (used in home brewing)
    # Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
    # Broccoli (in large amounts)
    # Raisins and grapes
    # Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

CATS:
    #Alcoholic beverages
    #Apples and Apricots (stems, seeds and leaves)
    #Avocados
    #Baby food containing onion
    #Baking Powder and Baking Soda
    #Bones from fish, poultry or other meats
    #Cherries
    #Chocolate, Coffee, Tea and other caffeine
    #Citrus oil extracts
    #Dog food in large amounts
    #Eggplant (greens)
    #Elderberry
    #Fatty foods
    #Grapes and Raisins
    #Liver in large amounts
    #Macadamia Nuts
    #Milk and other dairy products (many cats are lactose intolerant)
    #Mushrooms
    #Nutmeg
    #Onions and Garlic
    #Peaches and Plums (stems, seeds and leaves)
    #Potato
    #Rhubarb (leaves)
    #Raw eggs
    #Raw fish
    #Salt in large quantities
    #Sugary foods
    #Tobacco
    #Tomato (greens)
    #Yeast dough

And I just deleted even more of an already far too long post here about other types of animals; namely herps and invertebrates. If you've got "exotics" take the time to learn how to care for them. Screw it. If you have one and you're unsure... ask ME. I'll help however I can whether that be getting you links or references to pertinent info sites or just telling you what I know.

Stepping off my soap-box now. Thank you for listening.

well i had a friend who's cat got into Antifreeze,his mom gave it baking soda ,it lived .
    i think they were just lucky..

Quote Originally Posted by Anarkey
    well i had a friend who's cat got into Antifreeze,his mom gave it baking soda ,it lived .
    i think they were just lucky..

I'd agree with the lucky part. That's crazy!

well it was showin all the bad effects of the posioning too ,i think it interacted some how ,i know it made it throw up all the crap too though..
    lucky cat in my book i lost 3 like that,some lady who did like anaimal >cats was posionin every1 in my old nayborhood.she was sited doing it and was jailed for 3 days and fine 1000 bucks

That's all?! I think people that do things like that should suffer extremely harsh penalties. Then again, whose initially in the wrong? The lady who poisons beasties or the people who allow their animals to roam and thus contribute to the feral cat problem? =/ I guess you could say "apples and oranges" but theyr'e both legit problems.

As for the antifreeze... yeah. I grew up in the San Bernardino moutains and a lot of our neighbors would put pans of anitfreeze out to get rid of ground squirrels (because they can do serious damage to the foundations of a house with all their burrowing). Aside from the fact that poisoning like that is just not cool, that sort of thing is even more jacked if for no other reason than the fact that the poison material doesn't pick and chose. Coyotes got into it, quail, scrub jays... you name it. Very, very uncool thing to do.

thats sad ;(

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

eww yeah my moms friend had a dog that drank antifreeze... that was bad.

i didnt know dogs couldnt eat grapes and rasins... i used to give my dog grapes once in awhile. not tons, but one or two... she loved em. along with carrots. that dog was such a slut for carrots hehe...

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    i didnt know dogs couldnt eat grapes and rasins...
    me either, shit I feed Bryans moms dogs grapes sometimes..well I guess I should say I used to lol

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

For one, I cant believe all the crying about dying an animal. You all realize that there are cruelties out there against animals that are severely worse, you know, like starvation, torture, factory farming, etc? Who cares if someone wants to dye their dog/cat/ferret/monkey?

I have used Manic Panic, Special Effects and Punky Color on my animals, as well as requests from owners who wanted their dogs dyed at a dog salon I was working at. Thats what we used. No problems at all, on any animal I have used it on. Would I use Clairol or something equal to that sort of hair dye? No. Wouldnt even think about it.

I cant even read the rest of this thread. Its not abuse, youre not doing it against the animals will (unless you consider walking them on a leash or giving them baths or clipping their toenails cruel since they dont want you to do those things), so please, focus on the real abuse.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    For one, I cant believe all the crying about dying an animal. You all realize that there are cruelties out there against animals that are severely worse, you know, like starvation, torture, factory farming, etc? Who cares if someone wants to dye their dog/cat/ferret/monkey?

I have used Manic Panic, Special Effects and Punky Color on my animals, as well as requests from owners who wanted their dogs dyed at a dog salon I was working at. Thats what we used. No problems at all, on any animal I have used it on. Would I use Clairol or something equal to that sort of hair dye? No. Wouldnt even think about it.

I cant even read the rest of this thread. Its not abuse, youre not doing it against the animals will (unless you consider walking them on a leash or giving them baths or clipping their toenails cruel since they dont want you to do those things), so please, focus on the real abuse.
    good rant chicky

well i did dye a monkey blue just last week ,,,,,,

ok it wasnt a monkey ,but she didnt complian !

for me at least the question in this case is not whether it's harmful to the animal, but the objectification. that's really the heart of what veganism is about. cows produce milk and chickens lay eggs and under ordinary circumstances these things aren't harmful to the animal (although under factory farming and FDA circumstances they usually are, but that's another subject.) the point is that chickens lay eggs to reproduce their young, cows gave milk to feed there calves. So for a human to use these things is to deny that the animal has an existance outside of human wants and that it doesn't have the right to have control over it's own body and it's own life, and that it's ok for us to do whatever we want to, even if it's not harmful, without considering it's point of view on the subject. sounds an awful lot the mindset of a rapist, and yeah, we don't know if the psychological effects are the same, but that's the point, we have no idea what a non-human is thinking or feeling, yet we assume that it's ok.

Right. So, the fact that one cruelty comitted somewhere else is "more cruel" is how we justify a "smaller" cruelty here? How bout I rip off all of your toenails later today? I mean, don't you know that there are people being murdered, tortured, abused all over the world? That's much worse than me causing you a little bodily harm...
    ALL cruelty is just that. CRUEL Whether or not someone else is doing something else that's worse doesn't justify my cruelties or yours.

I cant even read the rest of this thread. Its not abuse, youre not doing it against the animals will *snip*.
    You're not? You mean, your dog/hamster/cat/whatever-the-heck walked up and begged you "Please please, dye my coat!"? Because I mean, that's a pretty unique animal companion you have there. You should totally cash in on it, the talking. Make lots of money. Then you could fork over ther cash to take a logic as critical thinking class.

On a less snarky note: Never mind. I have nothing unsnarky to say at this point.

That strikes me as a little unfair leisel. while I deeply respect your sentiment for animals, I think that you should let your arguments speak for your convictions instead of just ripping on another viewpoint. Ok so I might be a little biased toward members on here that have given much to this community, and I am not exactly the defintion of a level head when it comes to posting emotional responses, but still.... when I was pissed off before I refrained from posting until I had something productive to say.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisel
    Yeah, chocolate seems to be the one that most everyone knows about but there are others that pose health risks as well:

Dogs:
    # Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
    # Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
    # Rhubarb leaves
    # Mouldy/spoiled foods
    # Alcohol
    # Yeast dough
    # Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
    # Hops (used in home brewing)
    # Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
    # Broccoli (in large amounts)
    # Raisins and grapes
    # Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Wow, I seriously did want to know that. Thanks

That strikes me as a little unfair leisel.
    You may be correct because the sarcasm wasn't necessary. However, I wasn't just "ripping on someone else's argument." I was pointing out what I consider to be fallacious portions of Jax's logic and/or reasoning. Sometimes it's tough to hold ones tongue... or fingers as it were. For being a bitch, I might apologize. For disagreeing and poking holes in poor arguments, never.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

well i did dye a monkey blue just last week ,,,,,,

ok it wasnt a monkey ,but she didnt complian !
    Haha, I have lots of monkeys. They throw mookystink at people I dont like.

Ok, I wish that was true.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

for me at least the question in this case is not whether it's harmful to the animal, but the objectification. that's really the heart of what veganism is about. cows produce milk and chickens lay eggs and under ordinary circumstances these things aren't harmful to the animal (although under factory farming and FDA circumstances they usually are, but that's another subject.) the point is that chickens lay eggs to reproduce their young, cows gave milk to feed there calves. So for a human to use these things is to deny that the animal has an existance outside of human wants and that it doesn't have the right to have control over it's own body and it's own life, and that it's ok for us to do whatever we want to, even if it's not harmful, without considering it's point of view on the subject. sounds an awful lot the mindset of a rapist, and yeah, we don't know if the psychological effects are the same, but that's the point, we have no idea what a non-human is thinking or feeling, yet we assume that it's ok.
    Dont get me wrong, I love animals. Animals are pure creatures who dont feel normal human emotions above and beyond fright, pain, sadness and love. You dont see dogs being vindictive etc. But its all basic instinct.

Where was I going with this?

Fuck if I can remember, but I still se no harm in dying your animal a fun color. I hardly doubt we will be seeing any dogs picketing the salons because fluffy was dyed pink.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Leisel
    Right. So, the fact that one cruelty comitted somewhere else is "more cruel" is how we justify a "smaller" cruelty here? How bout I rip off all of your toenails later today? I mean, don't you know that there are people being murdered, tortured, abused all over the world? That's much worse than me causing you a little bodily harm...
    ALL cruelty is just that. CRUEL Whether or not someone else is doing something else that's worse doesn't justify my cruelties or yours.

You're not? You mean, your dog/hamster/cat/whatever-the-heck walked up and begged you "Please please, dye my coat!"? Because I mean, that's a pretty unique animal companion you have there. You should totally cash in on it, the talking. Make lots of money. Then you could fork over ther cash to take a logic as critical thinking class.

On a less snarky note: Never mind. I have nothing unsnarky to say at this point.
    Ok billy bad ass.

Is dying your animal causing it PAIN? I hardly think so. Is your animal SUFFERING? I hardly think not. Ive worked with and around animals for years and years, and dogs know exactly whats going on when they see me, and they wag their tails and give me kisses. The dogs Ive dyed dont know the difference. So youre saying that dying an animal is just as equal to ripping out someones toenails? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thats insanely absurd. But thanks for the laugh. So, the animals you have. Do you have your hampsters/rats/gerbils/small animals in cages? ABUSER! Do you put a collar on your dog, walk them on a leash and give them baths to keep them clean? ABUSER! Do you allow your cat outdoors to stalk and hunt? No? You know whats coming next...ABUSER! Do you ride horses or keep them corraled? ABUSER! Seriously, the list can go on and on.

Oh but according to you and your backwards thinking, all of that is just as bad as cutting off a kittens paws while its still alive. Its equal to chickens not having enough room to move on factory farms. Or how about the PMU mares who are confined to a stall, pregnant, no wider then THEY are to collect their urine for female hormone medications for humans.

And just for your snarky information, my dog would get excited if I pulled out my hair dye to do my hair. She loved the bonding experience that that little jar held. I guess you havent ever had a relationship with an animal like that, and with the way you think, I dont ever see it happening. So howabout you invest some of your high horse thinking towards animal behavior classes and get a clue.

Snark on little one, snark on.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by LoraLie
    Wow, I seriously did want to know that. Thanks
    So much for sharing my second hand smoke with my dog. I had no idea that would be harmful *grin*. I learn something new everyday!

Although, this kitten I rescued about 3 weeks ago loved to put the butt end of a cigarette in her mouth. Little cutie pie looked like she would have enjoyed a nice drag. Lol.

Haha, I have lots of monkeys. They throw mookystink at people I dont like.

Ok, I wish that was true.

hehe can't i be your monkey ,,,just dye me hair blue ,,and i;ll not throw the monkey chow

look do what ever ,as long as your not doing any thing to harm him ,her ,it .
    its your pet,i respec your wishes . the qwestion was is this(dye ) harmful . fyck i dont know .. im not a Vet.
    its just as you see some peeps do get alittle sensitive about animals ,and what peeps do to them .all the best
    A

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Responding to a thread on dying animals does not equate to a lack of concern for more serious animal issues. I have some serious doubts as to the safety, I've seen no conclusive evidence on the subject. It is not a risk I would take (or allow to happen to pets I dealt with). You seem to at least be operating under the belief that it is safe, however.

I just tend to wonder: What on earth do you or the animal get out of coloring its fur? I just find it silly on its face. An animal cannot make a conscious decision to alter its appearance. Why do you do it? (I'm asking honestly, I won't bash your answer.) Animal dying is really not on the radar screen.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

all I know is my cats would hate being died (dyed?) besides they'd just spend all day licking it off anyway so why bother?

humm if i dyed my Cats in a Camo theme ,,,,,,

would they know/??

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah probably

when it comes to grooming cats like a cat brush, period

yeah, the whole thing does seem a tad paris hilton. I guess that's really what I don't dig, a pet as a fassion accesory.

Is dying your animal causing it PAIN? I hardly think so. Is your animal SUFFERING?
    I didn't say that. Nor did I intend to imply it. And this is why I agreed with Moring Glory about apologizing to you for being "snarky." I think that because of my being pissy I muddled my post and my argument.

What I was trying point out (and obviously, I failed miserably) is

a) that being cruel is simply being cruel. In my opinion it's not a matter of "This is more cruel than [B]that[/B,] sothat is OK or acceptable or right." Does that make sense?

b) that the logic behind the thinking "well, since all of these other, far more horrid things are happening to animals in other places (factory farming, animal testing, bona fide physical abuse, etc., etc.), then this one "lesser" cruelty isn't really a cruelty." is faulty. I don't agree.

So youre saying that dying an animal is just as equal to ripping out someones toenails?
    Again, not necessarily. And again, I'm sorry. Let me repeat, I admit that my being a schmuck out of frustation upon reading your reply to the thread is causing my reply to be misinterpretted. The toenails thing was an analogy. The purpose wasn't to compare one to the other but was to try to point out to you/show you that one cruelty does not negate another.

So, the animals you have. Do you have your hampsters/rats/gerbils/small animals in cages? ABUSER! Do you put a collar on your dog, walk them on a leash and give them baths to keep them clean? ABUSER! Do you allow your cat outdoors to stalk and hunt? No? You know whats coming next...ABUSER! Do you ride horses or keep them corraled? ABUSER!
    Oh good god. I'm not even going to justify this with a detailed response. In spite of my poorly chosen words, I wasn't then intending to, nor do I now want to argue or flame.

Oh but according to you and your backwards thinking, all of that is just as bad as cutting off a kittens paws while its still alive. Its equal to chickens not having enough room to move on factory farms. Or how about the PMU mares who are confined to a stall, pregnant, no wider then THEY are to collect their urine for female hormone medications for humans.
    No, I don't think so. But I believe that there's a VERY distinct line between doing something for the benefit and well-being of an animal companion or pet and doing something for the sake of my own vanity. Is that so wrong? And that's why I got so torqued about your post in the first place. (and don't even bother trying to flame me over selective breeding in response to that last. I'll tell you now, I don't agree with it and think it's totally wrong on a moral level. Does the idea of gettting rid of selective breeding pose some serious issues for me - think agriculture? Yes. Doesn't mean I have to voice support for it though)

So howabout you invest some of your high horse thinking towards animal behavior classes and get a clue.
    Deserved and accepted retaliation. LOL Yes I have had and will continue to have close relationships with any animals that are in my home and under my care. Please allow me to defend my position with the forewarning that I'm not trying to start a fight or be an ass. (Lesson learned there. I'll keep my brain to fingers filter in check now and in the future and again, I apologize)

I think that anything a person does to an animal under their care that's for the continued well-being of the animal is reasonable and just, whether that be putting on a collar with identification tags (in case the animal gets lost), walking on a leash (to keep the animal from being hurt in our normally urban environment), clipping claws to manageable levels, vaccinations, grooming, whatever...

What I have a problem with and would never do myself is the kind of retardo junk that we do for the sake of our own vanity. Does that make my stance on the issue any more clear? I hope so.

I guess I should respond to one other thing... yes I do keep some of my animals caged. They're f-ing spiders who'd cannibalize one another in the event that I did not. My iguana? I keep him caged when I'm not home as well, for HIS OWN SAFETY as well as the safety of my cat. Same with my cat who's F-Leuk positive. I keep him inside for his safety and the safety of other cats. Do I make darn sure that the animals that I keep have more than adequate space? You bet. Do I make sure that the ones that would, in their natural environment, need stimulation from activity receive that sort of stimulation? You bet. Daily. Do I agree with having some of the exotics in the pet trade at all? Not a bit. But, sometimes we have to make difficult choices. Do I support the pet trade? Nope. Not one of my animals was purchased. They are ALL rescues from poor living conditions/abusive situations because sometimes you have to make a choice. Let the animal die or take it in and help as best you can to improve its quality of life.

Lastly, if you want to dye your pet every color of the rainbow... I'm not saying you shouldn't. I think I voiced my opinion in an earlier post: I wouldn't do it but because I think that if it's done responsibly, it won't cause any undue harm to the animal, then that's your prerogative. I think it's wrong but I'm not going to blast anyone for doing so. That was never my intent. Let me reiterate that the reason I got so torqued over your initial post wasn't because you say that you've done that and think it's OK to do it but that you said that BECAUSE other things are done to animals all the time that are much worse (and thus admitted by implication that you agreed that dying an animal is wrong) then the dying was OK... the greater "evil" negated the lesser.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    all I know is my cats would hate being died (dyed?) besides they'd just spend all day licking it off anyway so why bother?
    True. I suppose there would be some difference with dogs. Cats will tend to lick off anything put on them + lower body weight leaves less room for error. I think it is pretty silly on its face tho as well.

OEC

gee it seem Jax and Leisel kinda made up ,,,,,
    i think both just got off the sup a little and have the same thoughts in mind ,,

Now ,,kiss and make up!

hey stop kissin ,, hey now stop makin up ,, you hardly know each other !.

qwik some one,, Forrest or A G ,get a camera,!!!!!

A

gee it seem Jax and Leisel kinda made up ,,,,,
    i think both just got off the sup a little and have the same thoughts in mind ,,

Now ,,kiss and make up!

hey stop kissin ,, hey now stop makin up ,, you hardly know each other !.

qwik some one,, Forrest or A G ,get a camera,!!!!!

A
    *laff* Would be nice... (the making up minus the sucking face, thanks). In spite of my initial post in reply to Jax, I really didn't join the community to make enemies or piss people off. I came here because I thought (and still think!) the boards would be a great place for intelligent discussion and debate.

ya ,,i think all the peeps here are friggin allsome.
    and even i have said stuff i didnt mean or had have missread .fuck im only human .

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

hehe can't i be your monkey ,,,just dye me hair blue ,,and i;ll not throw the monkey chow
    I need a monkey army. As long as you dont mind being the general, itll all work out beautifully!

+ Reply to Thread