+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

I want to dye my cat pink, again, but last time (3 years ago) my boyfriend got mad because he thought Manic Panic was not pet friendly and she could have died from licking it. What's the truth? Cuz I want to dye her again and not get yelled at.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

i doubt it, youre only supposed to use non toxic vegitable dyes when you dye pets.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Here is some animal dye

and ummm maybe..koolaide
    I wouldnt use manic panic though

they also have Nail polish remover

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

this pisses me off. i'm not liking these boards lately.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    this pisses me off. i'm not liking these boards lately.

I think getting links to cool products like the doggie hair dye from folks like Pull~My~Hair totally rules! If you have something you'd rather talk about, you know what to do MG. Start a thread on the topic you'd rather talk about.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I find it interesting that the product doesn't even come up on the manufacturer's website.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

don't use manic panic or any "intended for humans" hair dye. It will make your cat very sick. the analine derrivative dyesmiss clairol/any two part dye, and hair bleach as well.) will actually kill animals

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I always used the easter egg dye when we were done colouring eggs. I figured since you could put it on food it wouldn't hurt the cats. It also didn't last very long which I guess is kind of good. The thing is we only had so much of easch colour and a lot of cat so Bits looked a little like a hippie cat, all tydyed.

K

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessBill
    I find it interesting that the product doesn't even come up on the manufacturer's website.

it was there
    http://www.petesthe.com

they have all kinds of fancy kitty and puppy stuff, like bath salts lol and deodorant.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    it was there
    http://www.petesthe.com

they have all kinds of fancy kitty and puppy stuff, like bath salts lol and deodorant.
    yes but you can't purchase online! *frustrated* I won't be in europe until march so i can't visit any of their shops till atleast april. unless... say a fellow blueblood member who lived near enough to one of these boutiques and was going there anyway and we could work something out.

K

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I don't think coloring an animal's hair is ever a good idea. Use the pet product if you have have to do that. Manic Panic and other products would be dangerous (if not lethal). There is no way to know for sure if the pet product is even safe, however. Glad I never placed a cat with you.

OEC

i dont see what the big deal is, i mean people put stupid little doggie boots and sweaters on their animals and they get them shaved, and groomed and , fixed and sparkly collars and leases and carry cases, and pet psychics, and kitty counsiling, and the list goes on, so whats the big deal if you are using a pet-safe dye?

i dont see what the big deal is, i mean people put stupid little doggie boots and sweaters on their animals and they get them shaved, and groomed and , fixed and sparkly collars and leases and carry cases, and pet psychics, and kitty counsiling, and the list goes on, so whats the big deal if you are using a pet-safe dye?
    The company says it is "pet-safe". I see no mention of any long term studies. Dunno about it being a "big deal", I just wouldn't personally place a cat in that environment.

OEC

well gennerally the ones that are pet safe are non-toxic vegitable dies that are completely edible, so i doubt they are really a safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    well gennerally the ones that are pet safe are non-toxic vegitable dies that are completely edible, so i doubt they are really a safety issue.
    You don't know that for sure. I would err on the side of safety. I think people should find other people to experiment on. A cat can't consent to this.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    I want to dye my cat pink, again, but last time (3 years ago) my boyfriend got mad because he thought Manic Panic was not pet friendly and she could have died from licking it. What's the truth? Cuz I want to dye her again and not get yelled at.
    you bf has right in this one....

well the dyes they use in most pet hair dyes are usually the same ones that go into pet food and things like that, i actually dyed my dog awhile back using some of it, and i checked with my vet and he said it was perfectly safe. Of course i wouldnt trust any pet dyes without consulting a vetrenarian first to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    well the dyes they use in most pet hair dyes are usually the same ones that go into pet food and things like that, i actually dyed my dog awhile back using some of it, and i checked with my vet and he said it was perfectly safe. Of course i wouldnt trust any pet dyes without consulting a vetrenarian first to make sure.
    If you consulted a vet, I can at least see doing that. I wouldn't base it on the manufacturer's claims, however.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'll put it to you this way. If you yourself will eat a few tablespoons of manic panic hair dye, and you don't get sick, then go for it. otherwise, don't be cruel. you don't deserve to have a pet.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I'll put it to you this way. If you yourself will eat a few tablespoons of manic panic hair dye, and you don't get sick, then go for it. otherwise, don't be cruel. you don't deserve to have a pet.

I totally agree with this! thank you for making a point!

I gotta back OEC on this one. I love to dye my hair, play with it, what have you. If someone else did it to me though, I would be more than a little cranky. If I were the cat I would poop in your shoes. Nothing personaly, just don't like being dyed against my wil. A pet is supposed to be your friend, whould you dye a friend who wasn't able to stop you?

But in the end I suppose I do worse things to animals like eat them and wear them as shoes, so just try to use the mildest stuff possible. All natural seldom means tasty snack for kittens.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    When I was a teenager, my mom asked our vet if manic panic dye was safe for our chihuahua. The vet said it was vegetable dye, and it was safe. We dyed my little chihuahua pink and green.
    Now, if that vet was correct or not, I really dont know, but she never got sick from it.

Leisel's Avatar Junior Member

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this to their pet. Generally they're pretty enough without err... enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisel
    I don't understand why anyone would want to do this to their pet. Generally they're pretty enough without err... enhancements.
    I certainly would not want to do it to my little precious white chihuahua now. No sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    I gotta back OEC on this one. I love to dye my hair, play with it, what have you. If someone else did it to me though, I would be more than a little cranky. If I were the cat I would poop in your shoes. Nothing personaly, just don't like being dyed against my wil. A pet is supposed to be your friend, whould you dye a friend who wasn't able to stop you?

But in the end I suppose I do worse things to animals like eat them and wear them as shoes, so just try to use the mildest stuff possible. All natural seldom means tasty snack for kittens.
    You don't have to automatically go vegan to be pro-animals. There are so many incremental changes to be made without doing that. But yeah, I tend to ask why people would want to do this.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    I certainly would not want to do it to my little precious white chihuahua now. No sir.

What was your motivation in the way back (so to speak)? I'm curious. I just can't seem to come up with a scenario where that'd do it for me...

The idea sort of gives me the heebie jeebies the same way that seeing toddlers with mohawks does. It just seems wrong.

What was your motivation in the way back (so to speak)? I'm curious. I just can't seem to come up with a scenario where that'd do it for me...

The idea sort of gives me the heebie jeebies the same way that seeing toddlers with mohawks does. It just seems wrong.
    I guess I was some dumb punk kid who thought it would be cool to have a pink chihuahua to match my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    I guess I was some dumb punk kid who thought it would be cool to have a pink chihuahua to match my hair.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call you dumb! We all do our... thing(s) whatever it or they may be, right? (and gods know I wouldn't willingly admit to some of the unbelievably dopey crap that I did! Most of it was so retarded that I can't even get a good story out of it) *laff*
    I was just curious.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    You don't have to automatically go vegan to be pro-animals. There are so many incremental changes to be made without doing that. But yeah, I tend to ask why people would want to do this.

OEC
    I'm not vegan because I love animals, I'm vegan because I hate plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'm not vegan because I love animals, I'm vegan because I hate plants.
    haha being vegan and loving plants would be a bit brutal.

OEC

so im curious..i dyed my sons hair teal during the summer...was that bad of me? Im not saying its really the same thing, specialy health wise, it was safe. But was it like taking his rights?

so im curious..i dyed my sons hair teal during the summer...was that bad of me? Im not saying its really the same thing, specialy health wise, it was safe. But was it like taking his rights?

Not sure who exactly you were asking but.... I personally wouldn't do that to a child who wasn't old enough to make that choice for him/her self.
    I think you have an interesting point however. Before a (human)child is capable of voicing its opinions and beliefs, it is like a pet or other kept animal in that it's at the total mercy of its caretakers. Not sure where I'd draw the line in terms of stuff like haircuts and dye jobs. I'd never do it to an animal but then I'd never do that to a child either. At the same time, though I might not agree, I don't think I'd openly or vocally condemn someone else for making the choice as long as it didn't cross the line to endagerment or abuse.

Not sure who exactly you were asking but.... I personally wouldn't do that to a child who wasn't old enough to make that choice for him/her self.
    I think you have an interesting point however. Before a (human)child is capable of voicing its opinions and beliefs, it is like a pet or other kept animal in that it's at the total mercy of its caretakers. Not sure where I'd draw the line in terms of stuff like haircuts and dye jobs. I'd never do it to an animal but then I'd never do that to a child either. At the same time, though I might not agree, I don't think I'd openly or vocally condemn someone else for making the choice as long as it didn't cross the line to endagerment or abuse.
    i was asking eveyone, and good answer, thats how I feel about it as well.
    And I guess my son kinda asked lol, I put a streak of teal in my hair and he loved it and he kept poiting at his head and grunting, and after 2 days of him following me around and playing with it, I dyed the front of his hair lol.

I guess Id personally feel worse for a little kid with a really bad mullet then a kid with a green dye job, but thats just me (:

Mother Superior

You know Kaden better than anyone. You also know he was expressing he wanted his hair to be just like his yours. When a child is in your care you may have to do things to them they don't want to do for the betterment of your child. That is part of raising him or her.If you make him wear a heavy jacket when it's snowing out and he protests, I mean is that breaking his will or his right? You have to make these choices as you go, you are the parent.Your child is the most important thing in the world to you I am sure. Too many parents are letting their offspring run the show these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    You know Kaden better than anyone. You also know he was expressing he wanted his hair to be just like his yours. When a child is in your care you may have to do things to them they don't want to do for the betterment of your child. That is part of raising him or her.If you make him wear a heavy jacket when it's snowing out and he protests, I mean is that breaking his will or his right? You have to make these choices as you go, you are the parent.Your child is the most important thing in the world to you I am sure. Too many parents are letting their offspring run the show these days.
    thats true. I believe in fun, and being safe. so when it comes to hair dye ill never have a protest, but ill still make him wear his seatbelt..good point

Yeah, I think what gets me more than anything else about parents doing things like that to small children is that... it seems to me that they don't think about the potential reactions they're (the child) going to get from other kids. Kids are so cruel to one another. It's bad enough if you've got a big nose or a mole in the "wrong" place or whatever (heh, I've got both). We've all been through it, I think. The little bastards find that one thing and are merciless with it though they don't really understand what they're doing. I, for one am still overly self-conscious about my "big" nose and I'm almost 32... and my nose isn't really that big in the first place. But, I can still hear those little jerks in my head making fun of me like it was yesterday. I hope they all grew very large warts in very visible places. XD

Yeah, I think what gets me more than anything else about parents doing things like that to small children is that... it seems to me that they don't think about the potential reactions they're (the child) going to get from other kids.
    but in a way isnt it kind of preparing for life, I know kids are mean, but adults are no better, they just wont say it to your face.
    I understand exactly what you're saying, I was completely poor growing up, wearing my HUGE four year older brothers' hand me downs, and standing in the free lunch line, not to mention i was almost 5' tall by the time I was in kindergarten, I had the shit teased out of me.
    BUT the fact remains that if I walk into a job interview or a social function and look tore up from the floor up im going to be snickered about and laughed at behind my back.
    Granted, I have had set in my mind, that I dont care how much his clothes cost or how much the lessons or practices for whatever put me in the hole,once Kaden is older, I will find a way to make it work.
    I hated schoool because of the way I was treated, so I didnt get anything from it, I dropped out early and never passed any of my classes because I couldnt concentrate I was too busy being embarassed and self concience. I dont want him to go through that so early on, he'll get enough of it when hes older.

but in a way isnt it kind of preparing for life, I know kids are mean, but adults are no better, they just wont say it to your face.
    I disagree. Adults don't do that. However human asshats over the "age of consent" and whom we often wrongly assume (based upon their age) are adults, do.

I disagree. Adults don't do that. However human asshats over the "age of consent" and whom we often wrongly assume (based upon their age) are adults, do.
    touche

i found this on the too cute pet website

+ Reply to Thread