+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You know your famous when...

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default You know your famous when...

Wikipedia has an article about you...

Blue Blood is the name of the seminal magazine of counterculture erotica launched by Amelia G in 1992. Although Blue Blood is still going strong today, it also provided the blueprint for the modern gothic and alt erotica explosions on the web and in video today. Evidence of this is in the regular shout-outs to Blue Blood from new web sites, in genre novels, adult videos, books from roleplaying game companies like White Wolf and of course numerous goth-industrial, punk, coffeehouse, and rock albums. (more)

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Default Re: You know your famous when...

good ole wiki. haha

Thanks to wikipedia I can look up the word fuck &/or any other obscene things I wish at school.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Kewlness.

There's no Wiki on me or Rob but we both have imdb.com entries, does that count?

K

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Ugh. Didn't I just post an article where I talked about how slanted and incomplete, albeit sometimes useful, Wikipedia tends to be? I guess if people are reading that, one of these days, I'll need to have a little more well-rounded history put up there . . . where some random stranger will be able to edit it at will.

For me, it is a toss-up when I first thought maybe some people knew my name. The first was when the New York Times called me to give them an expert quote and the second was when I didn't follow up on the third or fourth time MTV wanted to do something on Blue Blood.

And, yes, Keiko, I think IMDB probably counts more than Wikipedia most of the time.

stephen colbert did a peice on wiki (look it up on youtube: colbert wikiality) and after a short segment on elephants, wiki reported that thousands of people were trying to then change the wiki page on elephants, which resulted in banning stephen's wiki account. and locking all pages of elephants to be changed by users.
    so im sure some pages are complete opinions of people (if they slip by unnoticed from the wiki fact police) and some are straight out of the textbooks.

its a hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    stephen colbert did a peice on wiki (look it up on youtube: colbert wikiality) and after a short segment on elephants, wiki reported that thousands of people were trying to then change the wiki page on elephants, which resulted in banning stephen's wiki account. and locking all pages of elephants to be changed by users.
    so im sure some pages are complete opinions of people (if they slip by unnoticed from the wiki fact police) and some are straight out of the textbooks.

its a hit or miss.
    I saw that episode when it aired and just about died laughing. Stephen Colbert so effortlessly made clear what the problem with, uhm, wikiality is. And he coined a new term. He is a genius.

Thanks for posting how that turned out

Oh yeah, and I don't think Wikipedia has much in the way of fact police, just mob (and people with time on their hands) rule.

+ Reply to Thread