+ Reply to Thread

Thread: migrane agony, any advice?

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Default migrane agony, any advice?

I suffered from migranes since I was a young teenager. When I was in high school, I had a couple of seizures due to them. Mercifully, that has stopped, but the pain still remains.

My well intentioned quack told me to avoid chocolate and red wine, two things I am not willing to give up. (Typically I *try* to wait until I already have a migrane because then it doesn't matter) They don't seem to affect me badly, thus the reason I haven't sworn them off completely.

I don't like perscription medications, so I try to avoid taking my medicine. (bad me, I know.) Usually, I have to go to my light proof closet and sit there in utter silence until it goes away. This takes hours. While I can see how sitting in the dark in silence sounds like fun, I'm here to tell you that it sucks. It's wasting valuable hours that I could be spending in front of my computer actually working (the editor likes it when I do that. I haven't figured out why...)

Here's what I'm looking for: any remedy you can think of. I don't care how far out it is. Any advice is good advice at this point. I just don't like the idea of feeling like my brain is going in a few directions all at once.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: migrane agony, any advice?

The only thing that works for me is meditation and exercise. Exercise doesn't work at the time but it gets rid of the stress and gets my blood pressure down so they don't happen as often. My father taught me meditation when I was about 15 and its the only thing that really works. My triggers are stress, lack of sleep, sugar, red wine and the weather switching from High to Low or Low to High ... hate weather.

Also you have to stop when you feel it happening ... stop before you get the spots!

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

progesterone hormone supplements... i havent tried them yet but heard about them... from hempknight actually... he could tell you more than i could about them really, but apparently they work... im thinkin about trying it out, if i get around to it ill let you know... how often do you get migraines? my dr said mine were from not sitting up straight all the time, and to cut salt out of my diet... turns out they were from my birth control pills, and the migraines stopped when i went off that kind. now i just get them once in awhile from either lack of sleep or too much sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    progesterone hormone supplements... i havent tried them yet but heard about them... from hempknight actually... he could tell you more than i could about them really, but apparently they work... im thinkin about trying it out, if i get around to it ill let you know... how often do you get migraines? my dr said mine were from not sitting up straight all the time, and to cut salt out of my diet... turns out they were from my birth control pills, and the migraines stopped when i went off that kind. now i just get them once in awhile from either lack of sleep or too much sleep.

Unfortunately, I keep bizarre hours and always have. It might be from lack of sleep or stress, as you suggested. I seem to get them every few months or so. I haven't had one in awhile, thus the concern. My posture could use some work. Hadn't thought about that one. I spend several hours a day hunched over my computer. Time to go to wearing corsets that are so tight they don't allow for that until I learn to balance a book on my head or something.... I'll contact hempknight about the hormone supplements. Thank you very much!

I'd go with what your doctor says bro. If what your doctor says is not working maybe you can get a second opinion from another?

yeah second opinions are great... ill bug hempknight as much as possible to stick up here whatever he finds about those progesterone supplements, apparently you can get them at the health food/vitamin places, maybe take a look around to see if you can find some cheap brand and try it out. apparently itll stop a migraine in like 20 mins if you take a couple just like you would tylenol for a regular headache heh... fun. no more dark closets...
    hopefully... *crosses fingers*

yeah second opinions are great... ill bug hempknight as much as possible to stick up here whatever he finds about those progesterone supplements, apparently you can get them at the health food/vitamin places, maybe take a look around to see if you can find some cheap brand and try it out. apparently itll stop a migraine in like 20 mins if you take a couple just like you would tylenol for a regular headache heh... fun. no more dark closets...
    hopefully... *crosses fingers*

Hopefully. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    I'd go with what your doctor says bro. If what your doctor says is not working maybe you can get a second opinion from another?

I'm up to the third one at this point. I am trying to obey them more, but I just really hate playing by some one else's rules (at least when it comes to MY health.)

Kat's Avatar Member

I've also suffered migraines since I was a teenager, and dislike prescription medications. On occasion they've made me vomit, but thankfully I've never had a seizure - that sounds really awful. I used to lie in a dark room with a cold damp cloth over my eyes, but that wasn't much help, and like you said, takes hours.

I found a medication that does help, which is available over the counter (in Australia, anyway), called Mersyndol, which is taken when you start to feel it coming on. It works like a combination of painkiller and sedative, taking away the pain enough to allow you to sleep until its gone. If you're willing to take medications at all, and if it's available where you are, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I've also suffered migraines since I was a teenager, and dislike prescription medications. On occasion they've made me vomit, but thankfully I've never had a seizure - that sounds really awful. I used to lie in a dark room with a cold damp cloth over my eyes, but that wasn't much help, and like you said, takes hours.

I found a medication that does help, which is available over the counter (in Australia, anyway), called Mersyndol, which is taken when you start to feel it coming on. It works like a combination of painkiller and sedative, taking away the pain enough to allow you to sleep until its gone. If you're willing to take medications at all, and if it's available where you are, I highly recommend it.

Hell, if it works like that it might be worth ordering over the internet. I'll look for it the next time I'm out. Thanks!

ohhhh mersyndol is great... i used to take that! it tastes absolutely horrible though... and i used to get migraines so often that it stopped working on me, but before it stopped working it was awesome... not sure why i didnt think of that hehe
    so yeah if you cant get it in the states, i see youre close to canada in NY... might be worthwhile (if youre allowed to take over the counter meds accross the border) to run up there and stock up

Kat's Avatar Member

ohhhh mersyndol is great... i used to take that! it tastes absolutely horrible though... and i used to get migraines so often that it stopped working on me, but before it stopped working it was awesome... not sure why i didnt think of that hehe
    so yeah if you cant get it in the states, i see youre close to canada in NY... might be worthwhile (if youre allowed to take over the counter meds accross the border) to run up there and stock up
    When I take it, it's rapidly followed by some chocolate to take away the nasty taste.

i used to take it in a bite of ice cream... yyum.

Boyfriend and I are going up to Canada in April. Hopefully they will let me take the OTC over the board, but I don't see why not. Probably just me being rational and stuff.

yeah i would ask the border guys just to make sure, and make sure they know that its not illegal (obviously hah.. i would get a prescription note from the pharmacist, or even a clinic dr even)
    i hope you can get it thru, or if not, i hope you can find it in the US!!

wicked events in NJ!

Migraines are a bitch. There was a time when I got them so bad I couldn't tell how often I was getting one, because I'd just have one CONSTANTLY for days on end.

It was bad.

Now, I'm on prescription drugs for them. (I've been through a whole slew of them...and some were miracle-drugs for the migraines but had attrocious side-effects, while others were useless at preventing the migraines it seemed). Now, I still get headaches, but only rarely do I get a really bad migraine. (ironically, "headache" is a side effect of the migraine meds I'm on now. But as anyone who's had a MIGRAINE knows.... it's much, much worse than just a "headache" so... I can deal with that).

Anyway, I have picked-up a few things that work tremendously well by me and I'd reccomend them.

Surprisingly, one thing I reccomend is.... Advil Liquigels. Honestly, they work better than any other meds I've tried, (even perscriptions) at easing a migraine when I get one. For some reason, the regular Advil doesn't have the same effect for me, though...just the Liquigels. (I think it hits your blood stream faster or something like that).

If you don't like drugs/medication at all, and are looking for something other than a pill.... then I'd reccomend Peppermint Oil (the bottle I have calls it Peppermint Spirit). Basically, you put a bit on your fingertips and kneed it into your temples. For really bad migraines, you can apply it to your forehead and your cheek bones too. It feels a little wierd as it evaporates, but it does make the migraine feel tremendously better. Sometimes it takes two applications and a little bit of temple-massaging, but it works!

Other than that....sometimes, I'll just sleep it off. But, no, I don't really reccomend that method, because it isn't fun or pleasant.

And, as for changing your diet... here's what I say (and what I did)... try it, eliminating one thing at a time. If you still get migraines, then re-introduce the foods back into your diet, as it's not them. At this point, I know I can have chocolate and such and be fine. But specific spices and specific nitrate-heavy meats (especially when fried) are triggers for me. The truth is, though, even if they're triggers, I still enjoy them. It's just that I recognize it has to be in moderation. And, at this point, I, too, refuse to give up chocolate just because it *could* be a trigger for most people, since I've found it *isnt* one for me.

Two other things that really helped my migraines (as in helped me get them less frequently, not helped when I had them) were trigger specific. One of my triggers was hormonal. I found, by experimentation, that certain forms of birth control actually prevented my hormonal migraines.

The other.... I learened I have TMJ. (When I get a migraine, my whole face hurts, not just my head, and that's part of why). I got a bite-plate to wear at night, and I get less migraines when I do wear it.

Hopefully some of that helps. And hopefully you'll find something that works for you! Migraines suck. And I hope you don't get them too bad or too often!

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFaire2007
    Migraines are a bitch. There was a time when I got them so bad I couldn't tell how often I was getting one, because I'd just have one CONSTANTLY for days on end.

It was bad.

Now, I'm on prescription drugs for them. (I've been through a whole slew of them...and some were miracle-drugs for the migraines but had attrocious side-effects, while others were useless at preventing the migraines it seemed). Now, I still get headaches, but only rarely do I get a really bad migraine. (ironically, "headache" is a side effect of the migraine meds I'm on now. But as anyone who's had a MIGRAINE knows.... it's much, much worse than just a "headache" so... I can deal with that).

Anyway, I have picked-up a few things that work tremendously well by me and I'd reccomend them.

Surprisingly, one thing I reccomend is.... Advil Liquigels. Honestly, they work better than any other meds I've tried, (even perscriptions) at easing a migraine when I get one. For some reason, the regular Advil doesn't have the same effect for me, though...just the Liquigels. (I think it hits your blood stream faster or something like that).

If you don't like drugs/medication at all, and are looking for something other than a pill.... then I'd reccomend Peppermint Oil (the bottle I have calls it Peppermint Spirit). Basically, you put a bit on your fingertips and kneed it into your temples. For really bad migraines, you can apply it to your forehead and your cheek bones too. It feels a little wierd as it evaporates, but it does make the migraine feel tremendously better. Sometimes it takes two applications and a little bit of temple-massaging, but it works!

Other than that....sometimes, I'll just sleep it off. But, no, I don't really reccomend that method, because it isn't fun or pleasant.

And, as for changing your diet... here's what I say (and what I did)... try it, eliminating one thing at a time. If you still get migraines, then re-introduce the foods back into your diet, as it's not them. At this point, I know I can have chocolate and such and be fine. But specific spices and specific nitrate-heavy meats (especially when fried) are triggers for me. The truth is, though, even if they're triggers, I still enjoy them. It's just that I recognize it has to be in moderation. And, at this point, I, too, refuse to give up chocolate just because it *could* be a trigger for most people, since I've found it *isnt* one for me.

Two other things that really helped my migraines (as in helped me get them less frequently, not helped when I had them) were trigger specific. One of my triggers was hormonal. I found, by experimentation, that certain forms of birth control actually prevented my hormonal migraines.

The other.... I learened I have TMJ. (When I get a migraine, my whole face hurts, not just my head, and that's part of why). I got a bite-plate to wear at night, and I get less migraines when I do wear it.

Hopefully some of that helps. And hopefully you'll find something that works for you! Migraines suck. And I hope you don't get them too bad or too often!

Thank you very much for your advice. I haven't tried the Liquigels. I was really convinced that they wouldn't work because I go through such a heavy dose of tylenol. I'll see if that helps, in addition to the other things that have been suggested.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

I get them a couple of times a year, and I have some Rx meds...but even they dont help half of the time. I have relpax, and maxalt. I usually just take as many pills as I can ( all painkillers in the house, not just the Rx) without OD'ing , and go lay down until they go away.

wickedfaire... what is TMJ?

Saucy Pirate Wench

~Cherry~~TMJ is a fucked up thing where hte joints in your jaw lock up. It runs in my family. it's like arthritis in your jaw. Makes yawning hurt like a bitch.

~Tatum~~ my cure for migraines is either Migra-Wonder tea or White Willow Bark tea (either available at your local viatmin supplement shop or health food store) to wash down one Ibuprofen and one Tylenol and a 4 hr nap in the darkest room I can find while wearing a blindfold and ear plugs. Whne I wake a nice piping hot mug of delicious coffee to wash away the remaining throbs and usually some allergy meds.

But that's just my cure, it might not work for you. Here's hoping you feel better soon.

S

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

yes well sometimes medication is the only way to go. My Lady had to take migranol. Hers get so bad she'll sit there and hit her head against the floor to relieve the pressure. If the migranol doesn't work she has to go to the ER because there's nothing stronger she can take.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

arrrrrgh, TMJ sucks, i have it and get pretty bad headaches from it, although I wouldn't say they're quite as bad as migraines cause I don't get the sensitivity to light and sound, they just hurt like a bitch for a day or so. A girl I work with gets migraines tho, and for her it's prescription meds and sleeping it off. Good luck with it, though!

ugh tmj.... what happens with tmj other than migraines obviously... do you guys grind your teeth??

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i don't grind my teeth, but the muscles on one side of my face tighten up and my jaw will lock up so I can't open it very wide to eat or do other things... yep, not fun. I'm getting used to it though, so it doesn't bother me quite as much,

heh that sounded like me when i was pregnant... i was puking so much that it was fucking up my jaw and it hurt to chew anything. not fun either way...

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I have heard this stuff called niacin works by opening your capilaries, or increasing bloodflow. That and snorting saline solution. Those are the homeopathic ways, my roomie gets migrane's and he swears by those methods!

snorting saline? ughhhhhh...

wicked events in NJ!

ugh tmj.... what happens with tmj other than migraines obviously... do you guys grind your teeth??
    I don't really grind my teeth a lot, no. But I do grind some (which makes it worse,,,I know). Although, actually, biting my lip turned out to be even worse for me than grinding my teeth.

As for what else happens with it.... When I open my jaw really wide, I'll hear it click and it'll hurt going back into place a bit. And I always have pressure/pain in my ears and where the jaw bones meet. That's probably the worst part for me.

yucky
    *hugses*

Kat's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFaire2007
    I don't really grind my teeth a lot, no. But I do grind some (which makes it worse,,,I know). Although, actually, biting my lip turned out to be even worse for me than grinding my teeth.

As for what else happens with it.... When I open my jaw really wide, I'll hear it click and it'll hurt going back into place a bit. And I always have pressure/pain in my ears and where the jaw bones meet. That's probably the worst part for me.
    I have that problem with my jaw too. I never knew there was actually a reason for it, I always just assumed it was my own stupid fault for opening my mouth the wrong way. My jaw always aches and clicks for up to about 4 hours after the first click, and it's always on the left side.

snorting saline? ughhhhhh...
    Yeah it's pretty gross but it'll help with sinus type headaches and migranes. Even when you are not conjested. You have to tilt your head back and spray it up there. Then it comes out of your mouth. My room mate is all about it though I don't actually get headaches often so I can't claim first hand experience, except I did it once and it was gross....

eeeew. comes out your mouth... iiii dont think so.
    although next migraine i get ill probably consider it :S do you know how to make a saline solution at home? my dr told me how but i dont remember the right measurements of salt and water...

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

Definitely find a good accupuncturist. They are out there & very good at helping with this kind of thing without harsh drugs with sometimes strong side effects.

I am not sure, my room mate buys his. It's probably pretty cheap. And definately sterile.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I heard the advice that caffeine helps quite a bit.

So try drinking some coffee.

Worth a shot!

If you try all these ideas, maybe one of them will do the trick...

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

theres a natural remedy called Feverfew
    and if you take anything that effects your blood it may also effect your sexual function, i found that out the hard way (or should i say soft way)

+ Reply to Thread