+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prom dress. Help me.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Default Prom dress. Help me.

I wanted to be a little cheaper this year for prom and just get a cheap dress and make it my own for . . . prom heh

So this past weekend I went with my friends and we went to this spot called Bertha's Boutique (I cant spell) and I found this nifty dress for ten bucks.
    & its cute, but really plain.

yeah, i look ruff haha.

But now I'm sitting here with it and prom is coming up in March (10th or 11th) and I have no clue what to do to the dress. I'm blank as a board . . . I seem to be taht way on everything lately

SO I thought I would bring it here and hear if anyone had any ideas.

oh and I will be getting my mohawk for prom so yay.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default Re: Prom dress. Help me.

What you should do, is get some fishnet opera gloves, and some of that material that poofs out dresses...

That would rock

big ass misfit patch on the back, it'll go with the mohawk.

If your not as goofy as i am, maybe something like a black sash belt or something to accent it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I didn't go to the prom. I'm too punxrawk

but my best freind asked the girl that I wanted to his prom. isn't that fucked up?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I didn't go to the prom. I'm too punxrawk

but my best freind asked the girl that I wanted to his prom. isn't that fucked up?
    ewww cockblocked...lame, i would've told her that he had the clap.

she didn't go with him. he's a chomo. i'm still pissed off about that and it was like like 5 years ago.

and he did end up getting the clap later on, now that you mention it. ha

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    she didn't go with him. he's a chomo. i'm still pissed off about that and it was like like 5 years ago.

and he did end up getting the clap later on, now that you mention it. ha
    haha Karma's a bitch... that's awesome

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    What you should do, is get some fishnet opera gloves, and some of that material that poofs out dresses...

That would rock
    yeah, i was gonna suggest an accessory like gloves.

You can do some cutting...sew and repatch with other fabrics. If you want to go crazy, replace some key areas with fishnet.

Good luck.

dirty_lil_bitch's Avatar Member

first of all i love that dress secondly i would cut it really short and rock it out with fishnet thigh highs that would look pretty

you should make it assless. just an idea.

CherryCola's Avatar King Of The Swing

cut a tall split in it?
    add black lace to it/wear black lace with it?

it is cute though

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

you could cover the lower half with some type of sheer material, or fishnet if you so desire, or cut open the sides and sew in a different material, sheer or not depending on how risque you want to go. A train would also be something pretty simple to add, and pretty unique.

DeviantMommy's Avatar Mac Town down!

first of all i love that dress secondly i would cut it really short and rock it out with fishnet thigh highs that would look pretty
    I can get behind that..maybe even cut it at an angle,wear some fence nets and some kick ass boots...fingerless gloves perhaps?

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i think shorter would be good too, and it could really go with some accessories (some nice wristbands, choker, whatever). cant really give good suggestions on what, as i am not only a male but im a fashion-cripple even by most male standards if shortened i would definitely say at an angle though, and with some hard-ass face-kickin' booties

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I think a diagonal hem at the bottom ( sloping from left to right or right to left, which ever you'd prefer) would look good.

Also, maybe a slash with safety pins would be a good, old-fashioned punk hint to the look.
    If you really want to piss some people off or make a statement, expose a little flesh where you're not meant to (not enough to get arrested, but just enough to cause a stir.) If you have tattoos in unsusal places, put holes in the dress to show them off.

Just a few thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I think a diagonal hem at the bottom ( sloping from left to right or right to left, which ever you'd prefer) would look good.

Also, maybe a slash with safety pins would be a good, old-fashioned punk hint to the look.
    If you really want to piss some people off or make a statement, expose a little flesh where you're not meant to (not enough to get arrested, but just enough to cause a stir.) If you have tattoos in unsusal places, put holes in the dress to show them off.

Just a few thoughts.
    Not that those are bad thoughts, but I do remember the good ol' school dance days, and they do, in fact, kick students out out for what they deem inappropriate. Would be a shame to have a kick ass outfit, and be forced to leave and spend the night elsewhere.

And they let people in wearing tuxedos? Madness! You should not be forced to wear something you don't feel comfortable in. If you want to show off your ink/whatever, why the feck should someone tell you you can't wear it, if it's not breaking any public decency laws?

And they let people in wearing tuxedos? Madness! You should not be forced to wear something you don't feel comfortable in. If you want to show off your ink/whatever, why the feck should someone tell you you can't wear it, if it's not breaking any public decency laws?
    Hey don't shoot the messenger lol... I didn't say they were good, or even reasonable rules. I just said that they are usually in effect, and are definitely there to ruin a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Janiac02
    Hey don't shoot the messenger lol... I didn't say they were good, or even reasonable rules. I just said that they are usually in effect, and are definitely there to ruin a good time.
    I wasn't having a go at you. It's just that the Normals sometimes make me so fucking annoyed! They insist you conform to their rules, they are comfortable in their suits so you should be too.
    It's like work. My wife works for a call centre, so customers don't see her, and yet the company went mental about her piercing, because they didn't look professional. She had to scare them by claiming they were part of a pagan ritual and couldn't take them out.
    My work isn't much better. I work in an Archive area (lots of dusty shelves, lots of lifting, walking around, you've probably seen the like) but the department expects us to wear shirts and ordinary pants. I wear either skin tight canvas jeans or combat pants, big boots to tuck them in and t-shirts. They complain because I'm not smartly dressed. I dress for the job. I don't care if it's the damned government, if I'm not seeing the customers duing the day, what harm can a Damned t-shirt do?
    Sorry, Rant over...

Back to the dress...
    Used a bit of Duct tape here and there. I'm told there have been people who've made whole dresses and tuxs from it, even down to the Corsage!

I wasn't having a go at you. It's just that the Normals sometimes make me so fucking annoyed! They insist you conform to their rules, they are comfortable in their suits so you should be too.
    It's like work. My wife works for a call centre, so customers don't see her, and yet the company went mental about her piercing, because they didn't look professional. She had to scare them by claiming they were part of a pagan ritual and couldn't take them out.
    My work isn't much better. I work in an Archive area (lots of dusty shelves, lots of lifting, walking around, you've probably seen the like) but the department expects us to wear shirts and ordinary pants. I wear either skin tight canvas jeans or combat pants, big boots to tuck them in and t-shirts. They complain because I'm not smartly dressed. I dress for the job. I don't care if it's the damned government, if I'm not seeing the customers duing the day, what harm can a Damned t-shirt do?
    Sorry, Rant over...

Back to the dress...
    Used a bit of Duct tape here and there. I'm told there have been people who've made whole dresses and tuxs from it, even down to the Corsage!
    I agree, though I don't mind taking out my piercings for my current job. I work with all kinds of elderly people, and little munchkins... I can see them being bothered by having their blood drawn by someone they don't think looks professional. Once you are that old, most likely you aren't going to change your mind about a learned stereotype, and I imagine youngens probably find a bunch of metal in someone's face to be intimidating. Working at a gas station, I thought it was ridiculous to have to take my piercings out. It's even worse if you don't work with customers, as in your situation! People never cease to amaze me. If they don't want rules to be open to interpretation, they ought to provide a uniform. That's simple enough...
    Anyway, completely derailed the dress convo. Carry on...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

isn't march early for prom?

nice dress, nicely disorienting

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I like the safety pin sash idea someone had.... that sounds pretty cute :-) You could make it out of satin (if u can do some basic sewing or have a pal with a machine). Line the sides with safety pins, the put something like 'prom slut' on it instead of prom queen. Oh god, am I allowed to say that word on here? Are you allowed to say that in highschool- probably not, ha... Well the PG version.

Wow, all really good ideas that have helped me.

I got bored & put my corset on over the dress & it looked pretty good so I think I'm gonna wear it . . . . & my mom is gonna help me turn the neck part into a tie & cut out a bit of the back of the dress . . .

I'll take pictures when I do get the whole thing done but yeah you guys have helped me tons with ideas for it.

Now I just have to pick heh.

I planned on safety pins though already. Last year I kept the dress plain & simple to keep my mother happy & stuff. But this year is my year and thats why I got a cheap dress with my own money so I can stick safety pins in it & cut it as I please without hearing abuot how she spent money on it . . . blah blah

So yes safety pins are a must for it.

& I really like the sash idea from Scar . . . but yeah . . .
    I know I'd get kicked out for prom slut haha.

Haha I have a bad feeling I'm going to be kicked out or they might not let me in. But I know almost all the kids at prom would throw a fit if they try to throw me out for anything I wear . . .
    & if they do meh . . . fuck it. I'll find something better to do.

I have to go cause I'm the only person on our yearbook staff.

Being the only person on the yearbook staff really puts you in a unique position to get what you want as far as dress code for prom, no? You can't go TOO far, but how everyone else is remembered really is in your hands...

Eh, they are pretty rough on me about dress code, due to the fact that I break it so much. Plus beingg yearbook . . . I've been told I am suppose to represent the school blah blah blah
    If I get kicked out cause attire my teacher/friend would be quite mad.

+ Reply to Thread