+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Word "Hippie" Means What To People?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default The Word "Hippie" Means What To People?

If it isn't obvious, I'm poking a bit of fun at various stereotypes and labels. I do tend to wonder why I see this word reappearing, however. The original hippies are long gone. You may find a great convo in a cafe with one on rare occasion. That's about it now.

Hell, I may well fit the stereotype myself:
    1. Hardcore animal rights (but not some pollyanish jag-off telling u what to eat or wear)
    2. Environmentalist - I believe the regulations should change, however. An example is "emission permits". A company pays to pollute. This gives an actual incentive to use "green technology". It is far more efficient than a bunch of regs and studies coming out of DC. It is already working.
    3. On again off again Vegan.
    4. I love nature, hiking, minimalism, and the "simple life". I loved digging dirt and pruning trees with my late Grandfather. We did these things, we didn't talk about em.

But:
    I sure as shit don't look like one. I don't dig the grateful dead. I don't smoke weed. I just don't have that attunment. I've looked basically the same since I was in my early teens. Casual in black. "Deathrock" at best.

So why the animus? I can't deny toying with it. The Rainbow Tribe is hilarious to me. I lived in a town they came through. Took quite an effort to clean all their refuge *smirk*

Pirates?
    Ninjas?

Seriously, wtf? I'm the dude u see grinning in the corner of the cafe or club on some off night. Do these things seriously have any meaning? To me, they don't. It sure is funny to watch though.

OEC

Default Re: The Word "Hippie" Means What To People?

This is what I think of when I think of hippies:
    1. Lazy
    2. Drug addicts
    3. Unwashed

That does not mean that I don't like them, on the contrary like OEC said I too have common causes. Although, most hippies I've know have got into that scene to get a line on good drugs.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    This is what I think of when I think of hippies:
    1. Lazy
    2. Drug addicts
    3. Unwashed

That does not mean that I don't like them, on the contrary like OEC said I too have common causes. Although, most hippies I've know have got into that scene to get a line on good drugs.
    Isn't is just bizarre they call themselves hippies though? I know exactly what you're talking about and would agree on that scene. Bay Area term, for awhile, was Granolas. But yeah, we find our allies where we find em. What sux is they're all talk. Pointless.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well 98 percent of them are all talk, the other two percent are alright

I always thoght that hippies were 'hip', whatever the hell that means, and to exactly what I haven't got a clue....maybe it's got something to do with that timithy leary stuff like tune in and drop out wich I suppose is doing nothing in perticular of course back then there was good acid which desn't exist anymore, so I suppose real hippies don't either, and since jerry garcia died niether does the grateful dead.....of course my personal experience with hippies is sort of entertainment, but they did have a lot of garbage I found

can't answer your question for sure though, but I doubt hippies know what they are either

+ Reply to Thread