+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much has your musical taste changed over the years?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default How much has your musical taste changed over the years?

Going through all my albums has been educational. I really don't think my tastes have changed much since I was a kid. I was lucky to have been introduced to classical, blues, and jazz at a fairly young age. From there, though, I can draw a straight trajectory back from almost every new band I like now to something from years and years ago. The only exception would be "world" genre. I like hearing the folk music of different cultures. I still have a fairly eclectic connection, but I know how it all came about. I'm speaking of specific styles. The genesis of a given "genre" does not explain it.

I try new stuff: Rap. Hip-Hop. Dance. Electronica. I can groove on it for a bit but then never listen to it again.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Anyone trace their musical tastes in a different manner?

OEC
    Last edited by One Eyed Cat; 05-24-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default Re: How much has your musical taste changed over the years?

My musical taste has mostly just become more eclectic. As a very young kid all I listened to was old country, jazz, blues, big band and classical. As I get older I find more and more I enjoy.

Most of my important memories have soundtracks to go along with them. I can tell you probably the first time I heard (insert genre here) and how I felt about it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    My musical taste has mostly just become more eclectic. As a very young kid all I listened to was old country, jazz, blues, big band and classical. As I get older I find more and more I enjoy.

Most of my important memories have soundtracks to go along with them. I can tell you probably the first time I heard (insert genre here) and how I felt about it at the time.
    Yeah my memories tend to have soundtracks too. I like bands that mix stuff I like. Like Gogol Bordello: They're basically pure "gypsy" music set to a punk rock tempo. They made me want to fuck shit up kozak style with a band of gypsies following me around the land.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Yeah my memories tend to have soundtracks too. I like bands that mix stuff I like. Like Gogol Bordello: They're basically pure "gypsy" music set to a punk rock tempo. They made me want to fuck shit up kozak style with a band of gypsies following me around the land.

OEC
    HELL YEAH. I've never heard them but I found a video on youtube (I love youtube for this purpose).

Now see that makes me wanna fuck shit up hun style.

Just call me Atilla baby.

HELL YEAH. I've never heard them but I found a video on youtube (I love youtube for this purpose).

Now see that makes me wanna fuck shit up hun style.

Just call me Atilla baby.
    I was lucky to see them live up in Cambridge, Mass back in '02. Hutz is an actual roma from Western Ukraine. His accent cracks me up. Have u seen Everything is Illuminated? Awesome film. He's in it.

OEC (who on another note wonders why so many spookies claim to be roma but don't seem to even know they are??)

Pretty much been just classical and rock. Now i'm enjoying industrial music along with rock and classical.

I don't think I've seen that But I did read the book when it came out. I really liked the book.

(I don't get that either, I heard it for years and had no idea what the hell these people were talking about. Neither did they.)

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

same basic genres....new stuff

I don't think I've seen that But I did read the book when it came out. I really liked the book.

(I don't get that either, I heard it for years and had no idea what the hell these people were talking about. Neither did they.)
    Movie is great. I've listened to a few who claimed that ancestry. They seem to have it mixed up with certain vampire mythos and such. I corrected one once, but it wasn't worth arguing about. I felt sorry for the guy. I don't comment one way or the other now. I just wonder why.

OEC

EasyRider's Avatar Senior Member

METAL
    then
    PUNK
    then
    GOTH and TECHNO
    then
    ROCK (OLD SCHOOL)
    then
    SHIT KICKIN ROCKABILLY COUNTRY/WESTERN
    with some Acid Jazz, Classical and tons of other stuff thrown in

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider
    METAL
    then
    PUNK
    then
    GOTH and TECHNO
    then
    ROCK (OLD SCHOOL)
    then
    SHIT KICKIN ROCKABILLY COUNTRY/WESTERN
    with some Acid Jazz, Classical and tons of other stuff thrown in
    Cool My first album was Johnny Cash when I was about 6. I see some similarities between the old outlaw country singers and some of the early punk rock bands. Classical, blues, and jazz are a bit separate. Even there, bands I love like the doors do old Howlin' Wolf and other blues tunes. The major genesis I see is of bands that don't quite fit into the usual categories. I like raw sounds. It can be punk, deathrock, psychobilly, old rock whatever.

I traded for some metal and things related to "techno". They can evoke a specific social atmosphere, but I won't just sit around listening to em. A few industrial bands evoke urban decay which Im into. The sounds all tie in though. I have an eclectic collection, but intuitively I have a very specific soundtrack that defies categorization.

OEC

And Crooners. I love true vocalists.

If I could enunciate lyrics like Sinatra, I would sing all day and listen to myself on a loop

OEC

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

my taste never really changed, I focus on certain things at certain points but I still isten to the stuff I istened too when I was a kid (minus like tapes for little kids and shit like that) I just keep expanding what I listen to and keep all the old stuff too, it's helped me a lot as a musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    my taste never really changed, I focus on certain things at certain points but I still isten to the stuff I istened too when I was a kid (minus like tapes for little kids and shit like that) I just keep expanding what I listen to and keep all the old stuff too, it's helped me a lot as a musician.
    Have u transcended ur influences? I've only jammed for fun really. It helps me unwind. Do u pick up certain things in ur sound or just ur own?

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'll skip the long reply and just say that I have listen to new things since I was 12, but other than a few fads (such as new metal and bad goth electronica and bad drunk punk) I am still into all the same things ( including the better versions of the previously mentioned genres.)

Like Gogol Bordello: They're basically pure "gypsy" music set to a punk rock tempo...OEC
    have you heard World Inferno Freindship Society? they are basically the same thing, except they are from NYC.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Have u transcended ur influences? I've only jammed for fun really. It helps me unwind. Do u pick up certain things in ur sound or just ur own?

OEC
    I pick up certain stuff but in terms of transcending influeve it really depends on what I'm working on, some stuff is more derived than others.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

my cd collection used to tell stories about my life as I was growing up. now I have so many, that it just looks like a damn record store.... I listen to everything, high on the list right now is jazz, and bossa nova... some traditional folk stuff from asia too..... I also listen to alot of different kinds of electronica.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    my cd collection used to tell stories about my life as I was growing up. now I have so many, that it just looks like a damn record store.... I listen to everything, high on the list right now is jazz, and bossa nova... some traditional folk stuff from asia too..... I also listen to alot of different kinds of electronica.
    It will always tell the stories. A lot of my posts recently emanate from actually organizing my collection and being brutally honest about what/when/why and what it all evokes.

I love jazz. I'm partial to sax. Are you interested in specific asian folk music/cultures? I've been meaning to look into Korean music more, as my 1/2 korean nephew is arriving soon. I think Uncle OEC has an obligation there.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I pick up certain stuff but in terms of transcending influeve it really depends on what I'm working on, some stuff is more derived than others.
    I've never been too serious about jamming (that is subject to change if I should ever desire) I find that if I just sit and start goofing around, VU like melodies tend to come naturally.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'll skip the long reply and just say that I have listen to new things since I was 12, but other than a few fads (such as new metal and bad goth electronica and bad drunk punk) I am still into all the same things ( including the better versions of the previously mentioned genres.)

have you heard World Inferno Freindship Society? they are basically the same thing, except they are from NYC.
    I'm checking em out right now. I don't see them as "the same thing" from the first tune I heard, but I'll post later after I hit ******* and scrobble.

OEC

I like em. I can pick up why you make the comparison. They aren't that similar overall though. G.B. has a pretty specific mix.

OEC

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Not very much I've been listening to metal most me life. Started when me ma was listen to dear ol ozzy and iron butterfly

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Was into the Fugees as a kid. And whitney houston and marriah carrey.

then went heavy into goth/DR stuffs, more specifically Christian Death (sigh) Faith and the Muse Skinny Puppy etc.,

next into the industrial, as drinking goes best with it!

now into johnny cash, and schpongle and other eclectic world beat fusion-y type stuffs,

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    Was into the Fugees as a kid. And whitney houston and marriah carrey.

then went heavy into goth/DR stuffs, more specifically Christian Death (sigh) Faith and the Muse Skinny Puppy etc.,

next into the industrial, as drinking goes best with it!

now into johnny cash, and schpongle and other eclectic world beat fusion-y type stuffs,
    Johnny Cash Why (sigh) for Christian Death? Rozz?

OEC

I like em. I can pick up why you make the comparison. They aren't that similar overall though. G.B. has a pretty specific mix.

OEC
    yeah, I didn't mean that they sound like GB, but that "gypsy punk" would be the best description of them as well. my bad.

yeah, I didn't mean that they sound like GB, but that "gypsy punk" would be the best description of them as well. my bad.
    No problem. I would tend to go with folk/punk though. This is primarily due to having studied roma. I don't like the colloquial use of the term "gypsy". The band rocks though Thanks you're 2 for 2 on some good stuff

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

It will always tell the stories. A lot of my posts recently emanate from actually organizing my collection and being brutally honest about what/when/why and what it all evokes.

I love jazz. I'm partial to sax. Are you interested in specific asian folk music/cultures? I've been meaning to look into Korean music more, as my 1/2 korean nephew is arriving soon. I think Uncle OEC has an obligation there.

OEC
    I hjave cds that are folk and traditional temple music from laos, cambodia, thailand, burma, bali, japan, and india.... the jazz I like is from 1926 to 1933... oh how I love my bearcat jazz ...... duke ellington, louis armstrong, benny goodman, cab colloway....... the list goes on................

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I hjave cds that are folk and traditional temple music from laos, cambodia, thailand, burma, bali, japan, and india.... the jazz I like is from 1926 to 1933... oh how I love my bearcat jazz ...... duke ellington, louis armstrong, benny goodman, cab colloway....... the list goes on................
    I love Louis Armstrong. Love his stuff with Ella Fitzgerald too.

OEC

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

If anything I would say that my musical tastes have become more Eclectic. The more music is made, and the more there are new genres... musical revolutions, Innovations, covers, remixes... As long as someone is in love with someone, someone broke someone's heart, killings for government, Bombings, War, love, school, money...

I will love music, in all forms

And yes, I am a .38 special, and REO Speedwagon Fan... Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    If anything I would say that my musical tastes have become more Eclectic. The more music is made, and the more there are new genres... musical revolutions, Innovations, covers, remixes... As long as someone is in love with someone, someone broke someone's heart, killings for government, Bombings, War, love, school, money...

I will love music, in all forms

And yes, I am a .38 special, and REO Speedwagon Fan... Deal with it.
    That dude from Speedwagon has some pipes.

OEC

I meant to ask. What defines new metal? Which were u into? Which are u still? Same with goth electronica, which ones? whixh do u still like? I just trashed a shitload of stuff me and my friends were trading. It's fucking awful.

Drunk Punk should be bad. U like submachine? lot of fun. Send me more of that kinda folk/punk stuff sometime

OEC

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

That dude from Speedwagon has some pipes.

OEC

Plus it was the first band that I ever heard that swore in one of their songs.. and i didn't get in trouble as a kid for singin the song....

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    Plus it was the first band that I ever heard that swore in one of their songs.. and i didn't get in trouble as a kid for singin the song....
    You can see em. They're on tour http://www.speedwagon.com

. o 0 Heard it from a Friend Who

OEC

Superna's Avatar Senior Member

i used to like new kids on the block... now i like tool

thats how much

Quote Originally Posted by Superna
    i used to like new kids on the block... now i like tool

thats how much
    Do u pick up these influences in ur own music?

OEC

I listen to pretty much the same shit. I've discovered new bands along the way but overall my music taste has stayed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pressedflowers
    I listen to pretty much the same shit. I've discovered new bands along the way but overall my music taste has stayed the same.
    well. certain favorite bands? "genres"?

OEC

i like alot of fusion , and jazz ,but i listen to lotz of diff music , so many up and coming bands and artis out there with alot of diffrent sounds and talets ,so i keep a open ear for it all ,all but that FUCKIN EMO CRAP ASS SUCK FUCKIN SHIT ! start listen to a band then they sound like all the rest of the Emo Crap Ass Suck fuckin bands........and im damaged and pop in Tool 10,000 days and its all beter.

oh and rap ,i dont like to many rapperz

Noisy's Avatar Member

I have been listening mostly to metal music all my life but like 1-2 years ago I started getting into more gothic, industrial and even trance music!

I meant to ask. What defines new metal? Which were u into? Which are u still? Same with goth electronica, which ones? whixh do u still like? I just trashed a shitload of stuff me and my friends were trading. It's fucking awful.

Drunk Punk should be bad. U like submachine? lot of fun. Send me more of that kinda folk/punk stuff sometime

OEC
    I totally didn't see this until just now. whoops.

hmm. I guess nu metal would be like 90's stuff. the biggest example would be someone like Korn. not really sure how to define it, or if it's even still around.

as far as goth electronica goes, i'm thinking along the lines of wumpscut and suicide commando, switchblade symphony. I know a lot of people still like those bands, but that's not for me. I still like groups like assemblige 23 (which some may say compares to the others).

what I'm really saying is that now a days I just like a few bands that stood out for me, as part of an eclectic taste, and not so much the genre staples that may or may not be mediocre that everyone was listening to and that one must listen to if they want(ed) to be associated with whatever subculture group.

haven't heard of submachine. i'll check em out.

PS. 5 million songs about beer, fighting and sex, and how that is somehow going to bring about radical social reform and utopia just got really old for me. I prefer something a little more personal and meaningful.

+ Reply to Thread