+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: should Gay pub win right to ban straights?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: should Gay pub win right to ban straights?

Quote Originally Posted by shiki
    i and a group of other girls were denied entry into the gay strip club in DC because we were females...we were pretty pissed, its not like you can go see hot boys dancing naked on a bar just any where. I'm sure we could have made a stink but it wasn't worth it. I just thought it was very lame. How can you expect equality if you're going to treat others the same way you are being mistreated?
    Which one was it? I'm suspect some of the OG Blue Blood guy models could have danced there.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    haha I'm soo gay I wonder if I'd get in for free!
    Like your profile btw.

OEC

The decision, I think you'll find, won't affect single straight men entering with a group of gay women or gay men (how would you tell with a group of gay men?). One of the main reasons behind the decision was due to large sized hens nights and bucks parties crashing the joint and then making a mess of things preventing fun - so there is reason to it.

I live in Australia and in Sydney especially, there are TONNES of places to go if you're straight. One gay bar really isn't going to make too much of a difference to the straight population of Sydney unless they're going out of the way to make trouble.

I actually get very pissed off with members of the gay community and a certain stigmata against straight people. Many (actually most) of my female friends are lesbian and I've many gay friends, however when I enter a gay pub with them and chat and have fun, sometimes you'll notice certain men question your sexuality and then get annoyed to find you aren't gay. Most lesbian women in the community don't care as long as you're not an asshole but quite a few are just distrusting unless proven otherwise - like you chatting to a group of lesbian friends without hassle.

In regards to the rest of communities in Australia, there is no way for say Scouts to ban a child from joining based on their sexuality. Though, they WOULD probably get hassled frequently by the other members - that's a prediction.

Hope this has shed some light on the situation!

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Which one was it? I'm suspect some of the OG Blue Blood guy models could have danced there.
    it was Wet. We've gone there before no problem but then this night they didn't want to let us in.

I have lived in Melbourne and been to the Peel and it was not that much different to other bars. It was called gay friendly but what is in a name.

I'm bi so do I have to get my gay friends to pass out drinks to me, outside. If people want just gay, lesbian or straight bars restrictions they should not complain about restrictions against themselves.

All people should be treated equally.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by StolenName
    The decision, I think you'll find, won't affect single straight men entering with a group of gay women or gay men (how would you tell with a group of gay men?). One of the main reasons behind the decision was due to large sized hens nights and bucks parties crashing the joint and then making a mess of things preventing fun - so there is reason to it.

I live in Australia and in Sydney especially, there are TONNES of places to go if you're straight. One gay bar really isn't going to make too much of a difference to the straight population of Sydney unless they're going out of the way to make trouble.

I actually get very pissed off with members of the gay community and a certain stigmata against straight people. Many (actually most) of my female friends are lesbian and I've many gay friends, however when I enter a gay pub with them and chat and have fun, sometimes you'll notice certain men question your sexuality and then get annoyed to find you aren't gay. Most lesbian women in the community don't care as long as you're not an asshole but quite a few are just distrusting unless proven otherwise - like you chatting to a group of lesbian friends without hassle.

In regards to the rest of communities in Australia, there is no way for say Scouts to ban a child from joining based on their sexuality. Though, they WOULD probably get hassled frequently by the other members - that's a prediction.

Hope this has shed some light on the situation!
    the practicality of the bar not allowing anyone other than homosexual men isn't the problem, it's the principle of the matter as this goes against the idea of equal protection under the law. If people are showing up and causing a disruption, they they should kick them out obviously, however banning an entire group of people due to sexual preference is wrong (and in Australia it's also illegal apparently.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    the practicality of the bar not allowing anyone other than homosexual men isn't the problem, it's the principle of the matter as this goes against the idea of equal protection under the law. If people are showing up and causing a disruption, they they should kick them out obviously, however banning an entire group of people due to sexual preference is wrong (and in Australia it's also illegal apparently.)
    If you look at it that way, however, then why have women's only gyms? Apparently you're protecting their rights by keeping away men so they may feel comfortable relaxing without annoyance and sexual advance (I assume that's the case).

Taking that into account, why is it wrong to provide another group with the ability to relax without fear of being harassed by gawking on lookers.

Given it's a complicated subject but I don't see an issue with it - not now anyway. There may be some interesting repercussions in the future if the idea goes a little too far but as is, I can see some merit in it.

wicked events in NJ!

For one, you shouldn't have to prove or identify your sexuality to anyone unless you're comfortable sharing/disclosing that fact. Going to a gay bar so you can be around other gays/lesbians might be something you want to do even before you're comfortable enough with your sexuality to come out. If a gay bar banned straights then, in order to go there, you would have to come out. ...it's not just about your sexuality anymore....it's about your own comfort level and your expression of your sexuality in a more public declaration. And that's one of the biggest problems I see with it.

For two, how on earth can they prove wether someone is gay or not? ...sure they can look at them and judge by all the stereotypes. But, if anything, I think enforcing the rule that way is a step backwards rather than a step forwards. And, yes, like you said, they could have a same-sex bouncer kiss you or something when you walk in. But...the truth is, for me personally, wether it was a male or a female bouncer wouldn't matter...I'd react very negatively and probably get banned if that was the test. And it wouldn't be showing my sexuality...but, rather, the fact that I don't kiss people that I'm not emotionally interested in. But...that's just my policy. Really, though, I don't think that kind of invasive distinction would work either.

Overall, I just think trying to distinguish people by sexuality is a bad idea. I think having a seperate gay bar, where expression of gay sexuality is acceptable and even expected is pefectly fine. But I don't think folks who don't openly engage in that particular sexuality (wether they do privately or not!) should be excluded.

Also....

Quote Originally Posted by StolenName
    If you look at it that way, however, then why have women's only gyms? Apparently you're protecting their rights by keeping away men so they may feel comfortable relaxing without annoyance and sexual advance (I assume that's the case).
    I think there's a difference between seperating women and men and seperating homosexuals and heterosexuals.

Because, again, sexuality is fluid and not necesarily defined or demonstrated or public. Gender, in most cases, is much more clearly defined. Sure, a place that is all male or all female would (IMO) need policies for accepting transgendered folk. ....wether it's about how they identify? what stage of the process they're at? or something else.... it could be up to the place, but other than transgendered people, gender is a public thing and you really can look at someone and say "male" or "female" and it's something people don't usually take time to get comfortable with to come out about. So... I think it's more okay to seperate genders than sexualities.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFaire2007
    I think there's a difference between seperating women and men and seperating homosexuals and heterosexuals.

Because, again, sexuality is fluid and not necesarily defined or demonstrated or public. Gender, in most cases, is much more clearly defined. Sure, a place that is all male or all female would (IMO) need policies for accepting transgendered folk. ....wether it's about how they identify? what stage of the process they're at? or something else.... it could be up to the place, but other than transgendered people, gender is a public thing and you really can look at someone and say "male" or "female" and it's something people don't usually take time to get comfortable with to come out about. So... I think it's more okay to seperate genders than sexualities.
    point taken.

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

About the only good bars to go to in maryland are the gay bars! We can't stand the prep and jock bars in this area, and if you go to the city, 99% of them are hip hop or sports bars!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

not hard to find out if someones gay or not

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

yes well I'm in Australia (Sydney) and I've been not allowed into a straight bar cos I'm a straight man... and it's legal. It was at Star Bar in the city and they told me that they were only letting in girls to keep the numbers 'balanced'. Supposedly if the numbers tip too far towards males they all start rutting or something. i wasn't happy but wouldn't you know it... it too became the old-is-new media story of the week and yep the courts found that this is an acceptable policy. the moral? i was saved from a sad night in a crap bar with awful people... i.e. you don't know what's good for you until you sober up.

I would be disappointed if I couldn't get into any gay bars at all as like previously mentioned sometimes they're the best option for a decent drinkin spot at the time but actually my opinion is that you probably should be able to restrict who can get into places in some cases until human nature changes and everyone is mature and tolerant (never going to happen). maybe you should issue licenses for certain places that clearly state their policy up front. i just hate getting arbitrarily refused on a whim.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

If the bar sells a good pint, I wouldn't care if it was a gay bar of straight bar. Like I said before, your sexual proferences should not be an issue. I'm certain the Gay Pound/Dollar buys the same amount of anything as a Straight Pound/Dollar. Money is money, whether the person is straight or gay. The sooner these "businesses" realise this, the sooner people will be treated as equals!

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    yes well I'm in Australia (Sydney) and I've been not allowed into a straight bar cos I'm a straight man... and it's legal. It was at Star Bar in the city and they told me that they were only letting in girls to keep the numbers 'balanced'. Supposedly if the numbers tip too far towards males they all start rutting or something. i wasn't happy but wouldn't you know it... it too became the old-is-new media story of the week and yep the courts found that this is an acceptable policy. the moral? i was saved from a sad night in a crap bar with awful people... i.e. you don't know what's good for you until you sober up.

I would be disappointed if I couldn't get into any gay bars at all as like previously mentioned sometimes they're the best option for a decent drinkin spot at the time but actually my opinion is that you probably should be able to restrict who can get into places in some cases until human nature changes and everyone is mature and tolerant (never going to happen). maybe you should issue licenses for certain places that clearly state their policy up front. i just hate getting arbitrarily refused on a whim.
    Haha. I love that balancing numbers thing. The idea of ladies night is you bring in the women with discounted drinks and the men will come in, spend more, get depressed cause noone wants their drunken asses and then spend more drowning their lonely sorrows. Gotta get the guys in with the cash.

+ Reply to Thread