+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you do to get through the days of disillusion?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default What do you do to get through the days of disillusion?

What do you do to get through the days of disillusion?

I'm sure we've all had them. Maybe you even wake up fine, but at some point a dark wave of melancholy washes over you and nothing seems interesting or worthwhile at all. You probably know it's a false sense of dread but there it is, and sometimes it's really hard to shake.

How do you get through it?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What do you do to get through the days of disillusion?

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    What do you do to get through the days of disillusion?

I'm sure we've all had them. Maybe you even wake up fine, but at some point a dark wave of melancholy washes over you and nothing seems interesting or worthwhile at all. You probably know it's a false sense of dread but there it is, and sometimes it's really hard to shake.

How do you get through it?
    You really just have to go with it imo. It's just a bit of soul searching. Something may be missing from your life. We all have em. I was today but then bought a Schwinn and became an Uncle haha. I would recommend "Dark Nights of the Soul" by Thomas Moore. It's a bit folky but the references to other works are solid.

Jackie T

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

My gym membership helps, but mostly I know different people have different methods and I'm interested to know what more of them are.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I've learned to enjoy it until it passes, which it always does

I take bike rides with some headphones..that usually calms me down and motivates me sometimes.

Sitting on the couch dwelling about being down, just brings me down further..so i try and stay energized and keep my mind moving.

Also i try different artistic ideas to try and motivate me.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

whenever I'm melancholie I ponder the four humors, interesting psychological philosophy from history

Call up some friends, play a video game, read a fantasy novel. Escapism helps a little..but then soon after you finish the activity it'll come back and mess with your brain again.

The best is when you make an ass of yourself/say stuff you really did not wanna say but just coulden't control it. Then you gotta deal with the guilt lol.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

and became an Uncle
    YAAAAY!!!!!

yeah i take a nap if the boy wil let me hehe... if not i just ignore everything... (not the boy obviously hehe... but everything else)

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

I just escape into the middle of nowhere (point face at mountain.. start walking till it hurts..) with my cell turned off and no plans on when to turn back. There's something about having no connection to the pressures of other people, being 'back in time for....' that lets your mind process all the inner issues without you really noticing it.

It pisses people off when they have no idea if I'm going to be in, or even if I'm still alive, but then pissing people off is what I do well. Got a diploma in it.

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

I seek total silence.

If I'm close to it ... there is this park, close to where I grew up, that looks almost like the NIN "perfect drug" video.

Silence thrives in that place ..... you could hear a pin drop for a mile away.

That's normaly that the only place I can shake it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    My gym membership helps, but mostly I know different people have different methods and I'm interested to know what more of them are.
    Solitude is key. I don't believe you can escape these times. When I read this, I thought of your mention of Muir Woods. A few days alone out there and you'll have processed whatever is actually bothering you.

You have to pinpoint what is actually bothering you. I find reading uplifting books to be helpful (albeit most do not consider Camus uplifting)

Sweat. If you can get in a steamroom til u almost pass out, do it.

Anyways, my demons are fairly specific. I do not want to get too abstract as I do not know what the actrual source of the malaise is.

Jackie T

Kat's Avatar Member

Music, and lots of it - as loud as possible. If that's unavailable, either reading a book I've read before and know I can use it to cut off my knowledge of reality, or geeking around on my computer - getting myself caught up in some game is surprisingly theraputic, especially if its a game where I can run around slashing the crap out of everyone I meet with a massive sword.

Cooking is also marvelously helpful. Lately, my boyfriend has been eating even better than usual because I've been turning to the kitchen in a week-long stint of depression. Choc-chip biscuits, anzac biscuits, tandoori chicken kebabs, steak and mushroom pie - all from scratch, and it helps, a lot.

AnnieAnatomy's Avatar Wanted in all states

Especially the part about the giant sword!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Working.
    Eating.
    Complaining.
    Listing blessings.
    Soul searching.
    Writing.
    Working out.
    Escapist entertainment.
    Overeating.
    Overworking.

Contrary to what artist Nomeansno said in "It's Catching Up", anecdotal experience confirms that you can fuck it away.

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    Contrary to what artist Nomeansno said in "It's Catching Up", anecdotal experience confirms that you can fuck it away.
    I guess that wasn't why they called him Mr. Happy? (NMN Album). I don't think I've ever seen them (un)quoted.

Jackie T

dead_but_twitching's Avatar Member

i just live with it,,
    it's hard but i don't know any other way... when i was little i used to make up schemes for global domination (true story) that would always cheer me up. the downside was that i became a mithantrope and alienated, which in turn led to more dissillusion on my part.

sometimes i sing to some song, with the volume on max and cry. after that my mind always comes to the same conclusion... what the fuck am i doing?!? and for a while, all my problems seems too small and trivial to even be worth calling problems

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I remember what is what like to have a .45 in my mouth, and trying to pull the trigger.

Then, if that doesn't work, i try to think of new ways that would off myself, a that no one would ever contemplate. Like jumping off of a building in Seattle. This particular building over hangs the freeway, and if you jump at the proper angle, you would get smeared on the Freeway, hopefully taking a Semi or Cab with you.

I start laughing about the chaos that would i would cause by my ingenious ways of offing myself, and that gets me through it.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    i try to think of new ways that would off myself, a that no one would ever contemplate.

The last time I had that conversation with someone, we came up with tying yourself to a weather balloon, dressed in a chicken costume.

At some point you'll die of hypoxia and hypothermia, which is a pleasant-enough way to go, then sometime in the next few days and someplace nobody knows you, a 150lb dead frozen chicken will crash to the ground. For the love of God, can you see the headlines!?!?

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

I generally take a huge walk, sometimes I will just walk all day long. I will go to Forrest Lawn Cemetery and walk around that place, it is very quiet. I have found walking the most useful way to get out of a funk. When I am stuck at home I will generally watch something really funny, I love The Soup or the showbiz show as they give me hope that I ain't so fucked up after all or some Dave Chappell, but a good happy musical will work too.

+ Reply to Thread