+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Do You Think Cosmetic Surgery Makes People So Emotional?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Why Do You Think Cosmetic Surgery Makes People So Emotional?

WHY DO YOU THINK COSMETIC SURGERY MAKES PEOPLE SO EMOTIONAL?

It is kind of funny.... we have all accepted braces as a perfectly normal way of correcting people's teeth. In fact if someone needs braces and hasn't gotten them often people make remarks such as 'that person should get their teeth fixed'. We are OK with people making efforts to have nice skin and white teeth as well, in fact it is next to impossible these days to find a toothpaste that doesnt claim to be 'whitening'. So why do people get all bent out of shape about cosmetic surgeries like breast implants,liposuction, nose jobs etc? When the topic comes up, it is often followed by a heated discussion/ arguement.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF COSMETIC SURGERY AND WHY?

I believe people are free to do what they wish, I have chosen tattoos and crazy plastic hair to define myself, if others wanna mangle their bodies for beauty that's all right by me. I am not a fan of the over-use of cosmetic surgery such as a Michael Jackson nose or something, but when well done it does not offend me. I think sometimes when people I admire go and change themselves physically I am baffled. I wonder why, when they were so perfect in my eyes, wouldn't they jst stay the way they were. But that's just me, and they are obviously not sitting around wondering what I would want them to do :-)

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Why Do You Think Cosmetic Surgery Makes People So Emotional?

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    WHY DO YOU THINK COSMETIC SURGERY MAKES PEOPLE SO EMOTIONAL?

It is kind of funny.... we have all accepted braces as a perfectly normal way of correcting people's teeth. In fact if someone needs braces and hasn't gotten them often people make remarks such as 'that person should get their teeth fixed'. We are OK with people making efforts to have nice skin and white teeth as well, in fact it is next to impossible these days to find a toothpaste that doesnt claim to be 'whitening'. So why do people get all bent out of shape about cosmetic surgeries like breast implants,liposuction, nose jobs etc? When the topic comes up, it is often followed by a heated discussion/ arguement.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF COSMETIC SURGERY AND WHY?

I believe people are free to do what they wish, I have chosen tattoos and crazy plastic hair to define myself, if others wanna mangle their bodies for beauty that's all right by me. I am not a fan of the over-use of cosmetic surgery such as a Michael Jackson nose or something, but when well done it does not offend me. I think sometimes when people I admire go and change themselves physically I am baffled. I wonder why, when they were so perfect in my eyes, wouldn't they jst stay the way they were. But that's just me, and they are obviously not sitting around wondering what I would want them to do :-)
    I think people get emotional due to wondering what lies behind a desire for cosmetic surgery. I think it calls for discernment. Some may get it in the false hopes of bettering a self-image that may be negative for deeper reasons. Others may be perfectly grounded but simply desire changes to aspects of their appearance.

My Brother-in-Law is a Plastic Surgeon. For me, it is a good thing. It will insure my nephew will grow up in a safe place and can attend any school he wants.

People questions tats etc for the same reason. I try to synthesize the positive with the negative. It can be either. That must be recognized.

Jackie T

PS I should have mentioned my Brother-in-Law primarily does reconstructive surgery and opposes any inusrance coverage for cosmetic procedures.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I see a lot of cosmetic surgery as actualy corrective surgery so instead of the question'what don't you like about yourself?' the question should be 'whats wrong with you?"

hmmm, wonder if thats good or bad?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I see a lot of cosmetic surgery as actualy corrective surgery so instead of the question'what don't you like about yourself?' the question should be 'whats wrong with you?"

hmmm, wonder if thats good or bad?
    It would depend on what one classifies are corrective. I don't see even cases that are purely cosmetic as good or bad. I think it depends on the motives behind it. I think maybe some have a visceral reaction whereas reconstructing say a victim of accident or disease is "good" whereas what seems strictly cosmetic is "bad". Beyond the insurance issue, I don't see it as "wrong". Hopefully, people will have realistic expectations and quality care should they choose to have a procedure done.

Jackie T

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

anybody willing to risk death to look a bit better is a bit skewed

ever read the release you have to sign before any procedure

"risk of death"

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

to me it's all just body modification.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

+ Reply to Thread