+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you have a 'hypothetical' affair?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Can you have a 'hypothetical' affair?

Can you have a 'hypothetical' affair?

Where you share mutual lust with another person but never act on it?

And both of you know about the attraction but remain faithful to the people you are in relationships with?

Does this count as an affair?

What exactly is an emotional affair anyways??

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Default Re: Can you have a 'hypothetical' affair?

Yes, I believe that is possible. And no I wouldnt consider it an affair.

Human nature. We will always find other people attractive.

As far as an emotional affair, I believe that is where you share your intimate emotions with someone other than your SO. If the person you are conversing with knows more about you than your SO as far as your emotional needs and wants, then I do believe it is an emotional affair and you should probably reevaluate the relationship you are in.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. I can't stress this enough. I had what for all intents and purposes was an exclusive *emotional relationship* with someone my last year in law school (we were geographically apart and with other folks physically)

Please be careful folks. It all but destroyed what could have been a really good friendship. It is a matter of intimacy you share with noone else.

JT

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Emotional affairs can be a big fucking deal, even if there is no physical thing, no sex, etc... People can fall in love, get jealous, and have all kinds of massive drama over an emotional affair. It's no different than the fact that some people can be in a relationship, fuck other people, and it does not affect their love and intimacy with their partner at all. That's why it's more likely for a guy not to be jealous about a girl on girl sex thing. Because he does not think they are going to fall in love, and run off together. But if there is the slightest hint that they might be having an emotional connection, then he suddenly gets jealous.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Emotional affairs can be a big fucking deal, even if there is no physical thing, no sex, etc... People can fall in love, get jealous, and have all kinds of massive drama over an emotional affair. It's no different than the fact that some people can be in a relationship, fuck other people, and it does not affect their love and intimacy with their partner at all. That's why it's more likely for a guy not to be jealous about a girl on girl sex thing. Because he does not think they are going to fall in love, and run off together. But if there is the slightest hint that they might be having an emotional connection, then he suddenly gets jealous.
    you are a *bright* one! (no sarcasm, seriously, I like your words)

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

sounds like bad alchemy to me

I think once you have mutual acknowledgment of a "but for" situation, a line has been crossed. People are naturally going to look at others they find attractive, but when it's not just "(s)he's nice" but "I'd like to", and the other person is aware and in the same place...well, your loyalty is only technical at that point b/c you have something else you WANT, and someone else who's on the same page.

I feel that if things are exclusive, that kind of dynamic seems very close to cheating.

+ Reply to Thread