+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did you go to college? Why or why not?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Did you go to college? Why or why not?

Did you go to college? Why or why not?

I did not go, although I took a couple college level classes for fun (drawing etc.) I a not sure exactly how I managed to skip over that important part of, er, growing up. For a while I wanted to drop out of high school, and I almost managed, but my parents caught on and then I was forced to graduate. Thank God. Then after I was 18 I wanted to escape home so bad I kinda started living in my car. The stripping, then drugs, then more mistakes. Now I got my shit together-ish but I am 26 and still no sign of going into college. Plus I don't think even if I wanted to that my folks would be up for paying the bill at this point, and I certainly do not have tens of thousands of dollars.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: Did you go to college? Why or why not?

yeahhhhh i was gonna go do some baking courses at vancouver community college... i got a letter in the mail saying i was in if i wanted to, but then about a week later i found out i was pregnant, and my kid would have been a month old when my course started... wouldnt work for me at all. SO thats postponed until hes in school full time

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I did, and it's cool to get educated on a lot of subjects, but at the same time, I really think you should only go when you know what you want to do, and you need to get training in that field. So if you decide you want to be a lawyer, go to law school. Or if you want to be a doctor, go to medical school. And shit, if you want to build hot rods, go take some auto shop classes, or welding. School is about getting educated on things you want to know more about. So you really have to look at the "professional" careers out there, and decide if you really want to do them. Do you really want to be a social worker, or a psychologist, or an accountant? All the stuff I do at my job now, I pretty much learned on the job, not in school. I learned a lot of cool stuff in school, but most of it I don't use in my job. A lot of things you are better off just educating yourself, by reading, or taking an internship or a job at a place that does something you are interested in learning about...

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

I did & I didn't finish, yet. I had a lot of pressure to do incredibly well in school with no room for error. Had a lot of family influence/pressure in school including college. Prolly why I haven't finished, it is to much to expect your kid to be an MD or esq by the time they are 26. I had to stop & figure out what I wanted. I want to go back, even study economics or business now. I have a technical degree from a trade school in fashion design, but I don't use it. I live far away from family but now I just don't want to live like a starving student at 32. I am sure I will figure something out as it is one of my goals.

Superna's Avatar Senior Member

Done that... I will return for my masters one day when my life's responsibility level diminishes a bit.. but I love information so much I am like a sponge for it!! I will definately return to paris for my higher education. There is nothing like europe for hands on learning Take into consideration that this will all happen after culinary school, cosmetology school, and Ramtha's school of Enlightenment

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

I did, took a legal secretarial diploma course about 12 years ago now. Best thing I ever did, now I'm a paralegal with a really really interesting job and I get paid well. Bonus is I don't have to work on the weekends anymore and I am working from home some of the time too.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i went to a four year college straight out of high school. i did okay for the first year or two. but then things went south in a hurry...i eventually dropped out or took a "leave of absence" during my senior year. since then ive gone back to school at a local 2 year college and picked up an associates degree. a part of me would love to go back; the other part of me knows that i cant do that kind of work anymore.

it terms of my future plans about school, id love to do some creative writing(poetry) graduate type work..

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

took an engineering course cause I thought it would get me a decent job but I find that what I learned in high school physics and shop is good enough

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've spoken to a few people here who did not go but could have done well. It is not a necessity for self-fullfillment, in this lifetime, to go to college. I love aspects of it personally. I have been able to experiment with a lot of different subject areas. I am on leave (it's an official one) from law school. I can finish in 8 months at a time of my choosing between now and May 2011 (and actually get a waiver even then) If I do so, I would have to have a job I believed in waiting.

I respect my colleagues. Some of us (setting aside those who had to leave for academic reasons) find out in law school that law may not be for us. That isn't as brutal as it sounds though. When asked, I do not recommend it for 90% of the undergrads contemplating it.

Skyrocketing costs of education is also always an issue. I do find that unfortunate, but will save that subject for another time perhaps.

JT
    Last edited by One Eyed Cat; 09-25-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: i be typin broken anhilsky taday

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I did college and university. Waste of time.

I tried college twice and was kicked out both times. Since then, I've worked for magazines, newspapers, ad agencies and I've published 8 books (including four novels). I'm self-taught on pretty much everything beyond long division. I've even taught college courses at U of Michigan and UC Santa Cruz. I loved telling my students that not only don't I have a degree, but I never finished my freshman year. School is nice. A degree is a fine thing, but if you have the drive, you can plenty without a piece of paper with some college's name at the top.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I did. My family was always big on education. So long as I had an A average, I had no curfew. If I couldn't maintain an A average, then they felt they had to manage my time. I was only 16 and most of my family was very far away, so I don't think other options occurred to me until after I was fairly committed to the process. I was legal to drink everywhere I lived in high school, so university was fun for me for the school and the being surrounded by intelligent people parts, not the cheap ass American beer.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Yesh. I went more because it was 'what smart kids did' in the 80's - since I hadn't scored under an A on anything in high school, family and tutors had the options all lined up years before anyone asked me, and I doubt I'd have got away with saying no if I'd tried. Twelve years, three universities and five degrees later I finally found a job where I didn't need any of it, and never looked back!

No regrets about it though - it's not so much about the subjects you study than the effect it has on your way of thinking and solving problems. Even if you don't use any of the facts in daily life you approach new ideas with a different set of eyes.

It also helps introduce you to drink, drugs and sex at an age where you can best take advantage of them...

You can get some student loans Scar. Or attend a 2 year community college and if you do well..get a scholarship. Community college is not very expensive either. Your loan payment could be as low as 50 dollars a month.

All kinds of opportunities for you just gotta look for help

ObscureZan's Avatar Member

I'm actually in college right now I'm waiting to transfer up to the Big College in Columbus soon...it's an art college and I think going there will offer me better employment opportunities and being around different artists will make me a better one and widen my style Come see me when I get a gallery opening! *does a dance* or watch my anime on t.v...whichever comes first XDXD

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

My suggestion to people is to take classes at a community college, to find out if you like certain subjects. Once you figure out what you want to do, then get more hardcore about becoming a full-time student... But until you know what you want to do, it's kind of a waste of time and money. Even if you just decide you want to learn more about history, or psychology, and want to take classes, at least it's because you want to learn, not because it's something you feel like you have to do...

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

couldnt find any good reason for going so i didint.

Extempus's Avatar Member

Got a degree in history, and have been saying ever since I graduated 14 years ago that I would go back and get my master's and maybe even a PhD... one day...

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

I went, by force... got into a Cal State............. I dropped out to party. My family was really strict on me growing up. So when I got my freedom, I couldn't get enough.

I'm not going back anytime soon because I dread math.

Go to college? I've gone to like 6 of them and I am a beauty school dropout.

I have not had the magical combination of time and money to go to school full time, but I still hit classes at community colleges every now and the. If I am careful and don't accidentally get a degree I could keep this up for the rest of my life.

California has some blessedly cheap community colleges. I say pick something you want to learn and take a class. If it is a good thing take more, if not, take less. Be warned though community college is as addictive as tattoos.

Satori's Avatar Junior Member

I've got about a year left of my journalism degree. Still love it, more than ever. I can't wait to work in the field and rake some muck.

But I spent 8 years going in and out of college part time from work until I hit something that really appealed to my black little heart. Even now, I don't think the value is in the degree. The value is in learning to think critically, and to use research and facts to make decisions that benefit your life.

The paper don't mean shit. I'll probably frame it anyway because I thought I'd never make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    California has some blessedly cheap community colleges. I say pick something you want to learn and take a class. If it is a good thing take more, if not, take less. Be warned though community college is as addictive as tattoos.
    You get +10 cool points.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Go to college? I've gone to like 6 of them and I am a beauty school dropout.

I have not had the magical combination of time and money to go to school full time, but I still hit classes at community colleges every now and the. If I am careful and don't accidentally get a degree I could keep this up for the rest of my life.

Absolutely. I've had fun just taking music and theater out here. Just do what interests you.

Extempus's Avatar Member

Another good thing about community college (although this may have changed, it's been 17 years) is that one does not need to have done the SAT to be enrolled. I grew up in Australia and did all of my education there, and they didn't have the SAT (why should they anyway? It's an entirely different school system). After two years, I transferred to a four-year university with no trouble at all and got my bachelor's.

Quote Originally Posted by Extempus
    Another good thing about community college (although this may have changed, it's been 17 years) is that one does not need to have done the SAT to be enrolled. I grew up in Australia and did all of my education there, and they didn't have the SAT (why should they anyway? It's an entirely different school system). After two years, I transferred to a four-year university with no trouble at all and got my bachelor's.
    You still don't have to the SAT to attend Community College. You can go with a GED in lieu of a High School Diploma even. They may require you to take placement tests for some classes. It's a good deal. Units can be transferred and you save a lot of money. I've gone to schools ranging from Community Colleges to Law School. There is a lot of very talented in Community College and you will often get more direct attention from Instructors.

If anyone is wanting to go to school and has questions, please feel free to message me. I have been at all levels at various times. I will generally be able to maneuver around applications, registration, and financial aid (or tell you where to go)

JT

Just having a degree can make getting a job much easier. You could have an associates in basket weaving but what it shows is you have the dedication to complete something you set out to do. A nudge over the guy/gal who only has a highschool diploma.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I did college and university. Waste of time.
    agreed. I've done absolutely nothing with my degree.

+ Reply to Thread