+ Reply to Thread

Thread: League of Gentlemen

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Default League of Gentlemen

Anybody on here a 'League of Gentlemen' fan (the British TV show not to be confused with the 'League of Extraordinary Gentleman' movie)? Particularly anybody outside of the UK. It's pretty difficult to describe, but it's kind of a Gothic horror series stuck in a sit-som body, or maybe vice versa. You start thinking 'wtf?' and by the 2nd or 3rd episode you're hooked, not knowing whether to laugh or request stronger medication.

Has it made it abroad? Did it make any sense to non-Brits? I guess I'm particularly interested as I assumed the humour was very British - grotesque caricatures of strange folk we've all met but can't quite place - but I introduced a Kiwi friend of mine to it, and he made the same progress from incomprehension to disturbed hilarity? Is it developing a cult following elsewhere? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Are you local?

Default Re: League of Gentlemen

sounds sort of familiar. Havent watched the show though.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yeah it made it on Comedy Central for a bit here in the states...problem was they kept shifting around the time it was on. As a result it was a pain to find and I gave up...weird and funny stuff though. But the gods have been kind and you can score it on DVD here pretty easy.

The BBC has been very cool in releasing their top shows in the states on DVD at all major retail outlets...BBC America also helps in promoting these shows.

I'm a big Father Ted fan personally...I grew up going to a private school so that show makes me laugh religiously so to speak.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I love that show it's on the BBC channel in Canada....I still buts a gut when I think about the scene where the vet blows the little turtle outta it's shell and it goes out the window...

Amethyst's Avatar Senior Member

I really like it just shame I didn't see all the episodes. I think british comedy is pritty well-liked in europe, especially in Finland. League of Gentlemen's humour is just so black and kind of alternative that it gives you creeps, but in the good way. Great serie, hope to see more of it someday.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I haven't seen it, but CPRB says i can get it here in Canada. I'll definitely check it out because i love the British sense of humour, and when you couple that with a gothic story - well, that just sounds very appealing.

~Histrionica~

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

yeah it's on channle 131....it's a great show up there with Goon Sqaud and Monty Python

+ Reply to Thread