+ Reply to Thread

Thread: panic attacks

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Default panic attacks

What's that saying about the best laid plans?

We were starting to make plans for the damn wedding and now it's looking like we may have to get married on base in order to make sure the fucking paperwork is done and they arrange housing and approval for us. This is all more stress than my heart needs. Personally, I'm not really looking forward to getting married in some sterile, cold courthouse just to humor the navy, but I'm going to do it because being together is what's most important.

Am I just being really silly for throwing a fit about this?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: panic attacks

Potentially you could do whatever is required on base and then have what you consider your real ceremony wherever and however you want. A lot of people are technically married at the courthouse too, but that doesn't mean it should exclude you from doing things they way that would make you happy.

I'm just really worried about how my family is going to take the news that A) I'm getting married and B) that I'm doing so in Japan. We haven't told them yet and I know that it may not go over very well when we do because we really haven't been together that long and they haven't met him yet. (Yay, being seperated by 1000 miles.) I just really don't know what to do and I don't want anyone to be hurt.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

so long as your not the one who's hurt

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

It'll end in tears. Don't do it.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tatum radcliffe
    I'm just really worried about how my family is going to take the news that A) I'm getting married and B) that I'm doing so in Japan. We haven't told them yet and I know that it may not go over very well when we do because we really haven't been together that long and they haven't met him yet. (Yay, being seperated by 1000 miles.) I just really don't know what to do and I don't want anyone to be hurt.

Then have a ceremony for your family(s) here in addition to the one over there, or is it that he can't get leave?

The next time he'll be able to get leave for any length of time is September of next year. he was just home for a month.

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

I am pagan and my husband is I guess you'd call it agnostic? Anyway we HAD to get married by a justice of the piece and the state of Florida has a basically christian service even through the court house. (seperation of church and what... )

So in order to do what we wanted, we had the service at the courthouse, then that night we went to an old decaying and broken cement peer that juts out of the water on Sunset beach in Sarasota, Fl. At sunset we had a beautiful Celtic handfasting and were married in our eyes by a dear friend of ours. The state got what it wanted out of OUR wedding and so did we.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

that sounds awesome bookoffaeye
    so yeah... it cant really cost that much to get married in a courthouse... why not do it both ways? second time around you wont need to get a marriage liscence or anything!!

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

In Florida it used to cost about $85 but that was 14 yeaers ago.

Yeha it was my dress was a black floor length velvet spagetti strap with 1/4 length black lace gloves and black heals and really really long red nails. Oh and a black viel that was almost to the ground. My husband wore a silk black shirt and blue jeans. :P We got married in front of 150 drunk people we didn't know. TOTAL rock and roll wedding!

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

Faeye we did a similar thing, had a wedding for family and friends and a month later had the 'legal' one. The legal one actually got us the most stressed, we just wanted to sign and get out of there, but they made us stand up and recite what they wanted us to say. I tried to explain to them that this wasn't the important one to us but the woman just patted me and said that every woman should have a special wedding day. I agreed, but we had already had our special day and we didn't invite the government!

My dress was white (to match the veil from my grandmother's grandmother) but my corset was red and my boots were from the stripper store. Love compromise ...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

The anxiety is quite natural. You find youself in an odd situation. You can't fight it yet can't flee it. Just do it and get it over with.

JT

i think i'm going to stop making big plans for awhile. So far, we've thought about getting married in December (yes, as in two months from now), May (after I FINALLY graduate), and the family ceremony in Novemeber. I'm just hoping that if we do get married in May while I'm visiting Japan that the family doesn't find out about it for many, many years as to avoid hurt feelings and that they can all be pleasantly temporarily dumb about asking questions. Any way we do this people are going to be screaming, "Are you nuts!" "It's too soon!" "Are you absolutely sure about this?" "This is a bad idea!" blahblahblah, et al. And most of those will come from my mother. At least I know what to look forward to.

+ Reply to Thread