+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When you're sick, do you work through it or do you rest and try to get better?

antiseptic fashion's Avatar Antiseptic Fashion
    Not sure, the entire company was found on a doorstep.

Default When you're sick, do you work through it or do you rest and try to get better?

I was going to post this in Amelia's' thread but I felt like it warranted a new topic.
    I know some illnesses leave you no choice, and some jobs too.

Me being self employed and chronically ill for no reason I find myself trying to work through colds/flu's, illness
    (yeah yeah those of you who know me keep the jokes about how I don't work or actually have a job to yourselves pls)
    I find, though I'm not sure, that I'm just sick longer, it doesn't seem to make it worse.

Thoughts, Opinions?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: When you're sick, do you work through it or do you rest and try to get better?

i will work through he bubonic plague as long as i could find a way to prop myself up. nothing's fre thesedays an everythig costs money-ya dont get payd to lay around tugging kleenex's.
    shit i remember how a few years back i had to work through pneumonia at walmart when i was a cashier and hey planted me right next to the exit.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: When you're sick, do you work through it or do you rest and try to get better?

I'll take a sick day when they carry me out

DPietz's Avatar Member

"sick day" is 24 hours buried under every blanket I own, an IV of Orange Juice and as many extra strength Tylenol in reach. By the next day I am better or dead. Either way I go to work..

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

shitz! my ideal sick day would be not being sick but being home anyway,a garbage bag full of weed,a bathutb of liquor and a long line of men in their party pants holding tickets to get.......in.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i ever take sick days. id rather get paid. its really that simple. and regardless of what i do, i am almost never sick for long

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I'll only call in if I have to be next to a toilet, or literally feel like I'm dying.

Quote Originally Posted by deviant designs
    Me being self employed and chronically ill for no reason I find myself trying to work through colds/flu's, illness...
    Sounds like you have weak immunity, try to work on that...
    I'm familiar with that
    Usually when I'm stressed out or overworked or when I don't eat "right" stuff I get my immune system down and I'm vulnerable to almost anything and I usually pick up first virus I come across in public. Getting your immune system up can be done with lot's of vitamin C and garlic and hot food. Garlic usually does the work.

I'll have to join the general consensus here and say that sick days are for when you feel like your'e dying.

I am going to take an unpopular stance here and say that it pisses me off when people go out in public when they're suffering from some horrible illness and are most likely highly contagious. It's irresponsible, both for employers to demand it (and not give PTO sick days), and for people to do it.

The more people you get sick, the more overall suffering you create and the more everyone's productivity suffers. Take the fucking bullet and don't drag everyone else down with you.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    I am going to take an unpopular stance here and say that it pisses me off when people go out in public when they're suffering from some horrible illness and are most likely highly contagious. It's irresponsible, both for employers to demand it (and not give PTO sick days), and for people to do it.

The more people you get sick, the more overall suffering you create and the more everyone's productivity suffers. Take the fucking bullet and don't drag everyone else down with you.

of course, making the customers sick is sometimes the only way to get any rest

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I work through it unless I am about to die. for reals, the last day I laid in bed sick was over a year ago, and the time before that was four years before that.... both times I had a temp of 104.5.... I work unless I am dying.

Quote Originally Posted by inox

I feel the same way.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Ditto... Many employers make it sound like if you are not there, work will suffer. But what really ends up happening, is that you show up sick, and get everyone else sick, and some of those people *will* call in sick. So instead of one person calling in sick, you have several. Or everyone working while sick, which is also not as productive as the one person staying home, and keeping everyone else healthy. I really do tend to get mad when people come to work sick and cough on me, and get me sick. Unless your boss is threatening to fire you, or you really are essential, and there is no way for you to take a day off, then you should stay home, and spare everyone else your sickness.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i really am essential. im one of three employees who actually knows what the fuck im doing

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

I work through it, and drink through it ::sigh::

Bedlamite

I used to be all... Working every cold unmedicated until I either got better, or fell down. I went through a phase after I started working at a local place, and since it was working in a very smokey environment, with a craplot of the public, I started getting sick ALL the time. Nyquil became my best friend. By the end, I would get 14 day flu once a month, and have to cut out of work the last day or two at least.

Now I've quit that job, but my immune system doesn't quite work as heartily as it used to. So instead of railroading through colds, or just general malaise, I just lay down when I get tired/sick/unwell, and keep taking it easy till I feel good enough to be in the world again. ^_^

I masterbate more... more bed time, more need...

But when I feel a little better, I go out and look for friends to make me feel even better, until I know I am the number one... that helps !!

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

I do my best to work thru it most of the time; my problem is just that.

and your little dog too

people working at home should just suck it up. i think it is inconsiderate to come into work when you are sick but i hate most people so i do consider it when i'm sick.

+ Reply to Thread