+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you give money to the homeless?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Do you give money to the homeless?

Do you give money to the homeless?

Just curious...

I do if I have any on me, I am a sucker for their unfortunate circumstance. Not to say some could get out of it. some couldn't, but I still contribute to the cause, whether it be crack or a hamburger, I may never know....

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Do you give money to the homeless?

Almost never.

I give to orgs that help the homeless, food banks, etc. but money, never.

It's in my mind like giving a razor blade to a baby. Most people on the streets are drug addicts or insane. There are a few people down on their luck and/or slumming it, but by and large folks without a need for drugs realise full well they can get room and board at a shelter and free food at a soup kitchen, with days at the library.

Which means of course that those who provide said services need your help. I sure as hell give mine.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

My mother taught me to give food rather than money. So I try to do that for the most part, but I do give spare change on occasion too.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

sure, a buck or 2

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Well there is certainly no shortage of panhandlers and the sort in my neck of the woods (Detroit) I generally dont hand out even one thin dime to the true vagrants. That being said, there are many times where, call me silly, I have requested something for my spare change. For example, one fine gent asked for 3 dollars, and my response was, " Gimme 10 push ups". Which he did and earned himself 3 bucks. Something for nothing NO. But a lil something for a bit of effort or amusement you bet.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

When I was able to now I must just be joinin the ranks of the homeless. Damn job market out here and the damn rent out here is getting riducluslly lopsided. Person can't even afford to eat a shitty meal much less keep his bills. So this may be the last post for a bit. Have fun all.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah but only if they want it for booze or drugs, something realistic, starving in north america is absurd, and honesty gets rewarded. Besides someones gotta be destitute. Been there done that.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

no, especially the ones that stand at intersections all day, i'd be more than happy to drive them to the unemployment office though. But I frequently drop $20 or so tips to fast food workers and gas station attendants.... I feel like at least they are trying. They appriciate it alot too. And yeah I donate to a ton of charities.

s,v.Dragcos~theDragon's Avatar Senior Member
    No where in paticular, I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

I Have Been Both ~ Very Well off,.
    and HOMELESS "Twice" in "L.A."...

I Try to Help those in need as best I Can,.

I Use to give my Last dime to someone with nothing,..
    I Allways knew Inside I Seemed Stronger of Willfull Fortitude than Some,..

I Try NOT to give out money that much anymore though,..

I WILL Gladly "Buy"{$) Food, or GIVE some If I Have it,.
    to someone Starving,..
    I HAVE GONE THROUGH IT,
    an' know HOW that feels to Feel
    HOPELESSNESS, HUNGER and ALONE'ness...

but I Allways Still KEPT On FIGHTING Through,...

~"Scar"~ Knew me
    When We both use to be at sinister in Hollywood,..

I Lost my Place about two & 1/2 years
    After I Began workin' there(*Stg Manger),..

yet I Still kept Battlin' On,..
    Evan through All the Hardships I had on my Plate,..

Our "Club Boss",.
    ."No Sleep",.
    "WORKIN' 8 Am,to 5 Am, 'an Back on Each day,..- 7 X 7 -,..
    doin' 10 Peoples Jobs,- all at once, cause We were Short handed,..

So,..YEAH!!,.
    ~ I TRY To help Those I can,.as Much as I can,.
    which Now'adays, is a Lot Lot less than I Use to,....
    ':-((

"Dragon-Dragcos".

I've Been a "VOULENTEER" for the
    "Catholic Charaties",.
    "L.A's BEST Summer Youth Program", in Hollywood,.
    "Gaurdian Angels/Neighborhood communittie watch group(s)",..

I've had Nice Homes,.
    - Apts', Houses, now currently I Own a Condo,..

But I've also Slept on Cold hard Dirt ground,.......

I Just can't help as many now
    as I Once did - years ago,...

I am sorry,....
    :-(

OH,..by the WAY!,..

I DO NOT "DRINK ALCOHOL",.
    "SMOKE"
    nor "Do any DRUGS",..

NEVER HAVE,.
    NEVER WILL,..

n' I AIN'T NEVER Sold my Backside down on "santa monica Blvd"
    in W.Hollywood ither,...

No matter How Bad things Got,..!!!!!

But I Hate sein' a person Starving When the U.S is SuPPOSed to be
    THE Greatest ~(*so called) Country on the Planet,...
    yet "Children", "Elderly", Homeless", - go with out,.consistantly,..
    Year After Year,...
    >':-{(

sorry,.....

~ I'm Rantin' Ain't I?,........

I think I'll Stop now,............

sorry everyone.......
    :-(

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

I have lived on the street a couple times in my life; once for about 9 months and the other for just under 6. Both short stints, I know. I never asked anyone for money, not once. Seriously, I fuckn showered at school, kept the plate and cup from Carl's Jr for all I could eat salad and worked my fuckn ass off.
    I don't money, fuk that. I will give food, I'll even go back in a store and buy someone something, and mb, just mb a smoke or two. But never cash/change.

I do some times. Depends on who's asking.

Delilah_Moran's Avatar Hedonistic Gnostic Carny

I ask my intuitive senses on each occasion. If they say yes, I give change. If they say no, I say "sorry."

Sometimes, I'll give change to a hustler just to watch the ridiculous performance they put on. I fucking love laughing.

Bedlamite

I'm a sucker. If I have extra money in my pocket, and someone tells me a good story, I always give money. I try to limit it to one per city... although unlike the guy's in NYC, the fellah's in Atlanta will TOTALLY take your food.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

though i havent done it in years - due to a lack of homeless people in my town, i used to frequently give money to the homeless kids i would run into. i would also chat them up some. mostly the 'gutterpunks' or other punk looking kids who would hang out in and around Harvard square in boston/cambridge.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

If I saw someone asking for money in the street and they looked hungry, I'd rather buy them something to eat than give them the cash. I guess I'm just not trusting enough. A lot of people that are homeless may say they want to get out of the rut they're in, but they can't because they get cash and fall back into the habit that got them there in the first place, be it drink/drugs/gambling/whatever.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I got jaded by working in two areas with ton of homeless people. I would see their routines. They would get up in the morning, and go to McDonalds, and ask people going in, if they would buy them breakfast. Eventually, someone would, since they were just asking for food, not money. So then you'd see them sitting down, eating their food. Then they would start the day's panhandling. And ask for money all day, at a busy area of town. Lunch worked the same way as breakfast. Pick a fairly cheap fast food place, and ask people to buy you lunch. Eventually someone would. By lunchtime, they already had enough money for their evening's entertainment. So they would spend the afternoon just hanging out. On the beach, in a park, etc. Just chilling and relaxing. Must be kind of nice to have a lazy and relaxing afternoon like that. Then I would see them at the drugstore in the evening, with all their change, buying a big jug, or box of wine. They had enough change to buy a $15 box of wine. Then I would see them drinking it that night. Then they wake up the next morning, and start the same routine over again. So no, I don't give money to the homeless. Because to me, it may seem like a crappy life. But to them, it seems like a lifestyle they choose, and actually seemed to enjoy. I am not saying all of them enjoy it, or choose it. But a large majority of them do. It's just a way to live, if you are lazy, and an alcoholic, etc... And I am not going to give money to support that kind of lifestyle.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

the day that a person stops giving away money is the day that you know they no longer have a soul. who cares? it's just money. yeah, I have to work for my money, for some asshole that makes a whole lot more money off of me. So how does that make me or anyone else more righteous than people in the gutters? I'd rather work to make someone else happy, no matter what the circumstances.

I'll give anything away that I don't really need. And even if I do, I'll still give it if I think somone else needs it more. I'm unemployed right now, but I got a roof over my head, and a few bucks in my pocket, so I gave one of them away today and it made me feel good to think that I might be helping someone out.

Sure i've met a ton of scum bags on the street, and I've met a lot of really nice people that didn't ask me for anything.

The exception is that I don't give money away to people who lie to me. If you come up to me with some kind of story, I'll almost always turn away. If someone asks me for change, i'll give it. If someone asks me for beer, I'll give it. if someone asks me for crack, I'l tell them to stop smoking crack and I'll give it. I appreciate people who are honest, it shows integrity.

Now, of course I don't support drug habits. I think it's a crying shame, but it's not my place to tell people what to do with thier lives. And the fact is that they are going to get it somehow. they can get it from me with a smile. or they can get told they are a no good peice of shit, which won't help at all. or they can rob someone, or they can steal, etc.

One time I didn't have any money and I begged change for food. It was one of the most depressing experiences and I'll never do it again. The only people that gave me money and acknowledgement were other poor people, people that can't really afford to give thier money away, but they do it anyway because they know what it's like.

xxxnecklacexxx's Avatar Member

I dont as a usual rule, but there was a guy on the corner of the freeway here in my area, he had a drum set, harmonica and a whats it called...you know tha oh yeah accordian...so I gave him a buck..if your gonna go out of your way to be entertaining Ill give ya something..

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by xxxnecklacexxx
    I dont as a usual rule, but there was a guy on the corner of the freeway here in my area, he had a drum set, harmonica and a whats it called...you know tha oh yeah accordian...so I gave him a buck..if your gonna go out of your way to be entertaining Ill give ya something..
    He's busking, not homeless.

+ Reply to Thread