+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloverfield Opens This Weekend

Default Cloverfield Opens This Weekend

Cloverfield opens this weekend. Even though I requested their normal press releases, the Cloverfield people inexplicably did not get them to me in time. But they were kind enough to give us money, so I thought I'd post their trailer here. Watch the trailer and see if you can tell me what this movie is about. Anybody?

Read the full article

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Cloverfield Opens This Weekend

Godzilla bin Laden destroys Williamsburg because someone took him out of their Top 8??

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Godzilla bin Laden destroys Williamsburg because someone took him out of their Top 8??
    Makes sense.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i was gonna go with NY hipsters get eaten by whale-crab, post videos to You-Tube before complete demise. either way, whale-crab eating things that annoy me, it gets my vote.

~K

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

I'm totally *pumped* about this movie. *PUMPED*

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

my dick is the cloverfield monster

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    my dick is the cloverfield monster
    Now I'm *really* pumped!

Just saw it. Really enjoyed it. If shakeycam makes you sick, don't see it. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty scary and a lot of fun.

I'd love to discuss further, but I'd hate to spoil anything.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I really kinda hate when they have a 100 million dollar budget and they make the movie look like it was shot on super 8 by a college film class project.

I could get interested in this movie, but since it's such a *secret* (the producers announced last summer when this movie would be coming out and then withheld all other information about it, including the title) it sounds too much like a gimick and that worries me that the movie can't stand on it's own without that.

For those that have seen it, please tell me one thing: Is there any redeeming qualities to this movie that actually make it worth watching, or is it only worth seeing once just to find out what the big payoff is when they reveal the monster?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I really kinda hate when they have a 100 million dollar budget and they make the movie look like it was shot on super 8 by a college film class project.

I could get interested in this movie, but since it's such a *secret* (the producers announced last summer when this movie would be coming out and then withheld all other information about it, including the title) it sounds too much like a gimick and that worries me that the movie can't stand on it's own without that.

For those that have seen it, please tell me one thing: Is there any redeeming qualities to this movie that actually make it worth watching, or is it only worth seeing once just to find out what the big payoff is when they reveal the monster?
    25mil, actually. Obviously I don't know how that breaks down, but the FX were quite good.

I liked it quite a bit. I didn't find it gimmicky, but it *is* a concept for sure, and if you go in predisposed to thinking the concept is stupid -- or if you have a predisposition to motion sickness -- you will *not* like it. It sticks *very* closely to the "found footage shot by a dude" idea, so you won't get much backstory or explanation of what's going on. I was rabid for more info after watching it, which I think is a good thing.

But taste in films varies almost as much as taste in music, so your mileage may vary.

+ Reply to Thread