+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting the Punk Back Into Steampunk

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Putting the Punk Back Into Steampunk

I found a really worthy project and fascinating 'zine.

http://www.steampunkmagazine.com

They have solid values. They even offer free subscriptions for folks incarcerated (currently 1% at minimum of the US population). Clearly, many of these folks are in prison for crimes many of us find dubious as anything beyond consensual endeavors.

Check them out. Am hoping they are as they present. They offer quite an array of ideas that may well be fruitful given a lot of stuff that irks the fuck out of a lot of us lately.

OEC

Default Re: Putting the Punk Back Into Steampunk

cool... thanx

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'd rather not.. but to each his own, I guess.

not really sure what that has to do with prison, but that's pretty cool anyway. I can get behind that.

yeah, the incarceration rate in the US is at 1 in every 100 people, and less than 1 in ten for blacks.

I suppose some people see that as a good thing, and 1% really doesn't sound like that much, but the stats are interesting.

20 years ago the world ranking for countries with the highest number of people in prison was as follows:

1. USSR
    2. South Africa
    3. USA

In good company eh? but in the 90's after the "end of communism" and apartheid, the US was bumped up to number one, where it still remains today.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'd rather not.. but to each his own, I guess.

not really sure what that has to do with prison, but that's pretty cool anyway. I can get behind that.

yeah, the incarceration rate in the US is at 1 in every 100 people, and less than 1 in ten for blacks.

I suppose some people see that as a good thing, and 1% really doesn't sound like that much, but the stats are interesting.

20 years ago the world ranking for countries with the highest number of people in prison was as follows:

1. USSR
    2. South Africa
    3. USA

In good company eh? but in the 90's after the "end of communism" and apartheid, the US was bumped up to number one, where it still remains today.
    I think the message they are conveying relates to the prison-industry and incarceration for consensual crimes. I tend to wonder if China is reporting accurately (or they just shoot em like back in Mao's time)

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I think the message they are conveying relates to the prison-industry and incarceration for consensual crimes. I tend to wonder if China is reporting accurately (or they just shoot em like back in Mao's time)
    don't forget population in china. There is like 1.3 billion citizens and in usa only 300 milions.

1% iof china is equals one fifth of usa citizens

Their biggest export is criminals after opium and pants.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    don't forget population in china. There is like 1.3 billion citizens and in usa only 300 milions.

1% iof china is equals one fifth of usa citizens

Their biggest export is criminals after opium and pants.
    4-5% technically. Let me know what you think of 'zine. Good stuff.

OEC

my wrong

Cool art and some intersting reading but I never went over on the next issue

+ Reply to Thread