+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boston Globe Article Reminds Me How I Used to Worry About Underage Drinking

Default Boston Globe Article Reminds Me How I Used to Worry About Underage Drinking

Get real on teen drinking, Part 2
    By Sol Israel | December 11, 2004

THIS IS a time when blue-state Americans are considering the chilly trek north to Canada, citing Canada's friendly foreign policy, equitable marriage laws, tolerant drug regulations, and lack of George W. Bush as reasons for their possible emigration. Although these may be some of the more popular reasons to contemplate defection, they're certainly not the only ones, particularly if you're under the age of 21.

Canada's legal drinking age is another practice of Canadian society from which United States lawmakers could take a cue.

In Canada, the legal age to purchase alcohol is either 18 or 19, depending on provincial law. In Ontario, where I'm a student, it's 19. This may not seem significantly different from America's federally imposed minimum drinking age of 21, but those few years -- when most kids are going to drink anyway -- are a valuable time to learn responsible drinking habits.

As a 19-year-old criminology student at the University of Toronto, I can enjoy myself at one of Toronto's many bars or go shopping in a so-called "liquor commission." Meanwhile, my American peers -- attending good colleges around the country -- are also enjoying themselves in bars and shopping in liquor stores, using illegal fake ID cards. The only difference is that in Canada we are considered law-abiding citizens, while in the United States we're perceived as law-breaking con artists.

This isn't going to stop my peers from drinking, of course. It's just going to make them hide it and make it difficult to control. It will also make them reluctant to call for help if someone gets hurt while drinking or if a drunken friend reaches for the car keys at a party, until they're 21.

A higher drinking age like America's also makes it harder for youth to learn to make responsible drinking decisions. I believe America's current drinking age, changed only 20 years ago after drinking-control lobbying groups applied pressure to the government, reflects a lack of faith in America's youth. American teenagers are told that they can't be trusted with the responsibility of drinking, so why should they bother drinking responsibly?

When I occasionally go out for a drink in Toronto -- and no, the freedom to drink doesn't increase my tendency to do so -- I usually end up at a bar where my friends and I will buy our drinks and enjoy them in a legal setting, just as a 21-year-old could in America. My American peers, though, are not only cunningly devising ways to illegally procure alcohol, but have to find a house to drink it in, which means deceiving their parents, too.

Living in Canada, I find drink ing to be immensely more social and relaxed as opposed to my stressful, illegal American experience. I don't have to worry about illegally obtaining liquor, I don't have to worry about illegally transporting it, and I don't have to worry about being arrested for underage possession of alcohol. This relaxed atmosphere has a noticeable impact on the way we drink.

We're drinking as part of socializing instead of drinking just to get drunk, which is what tends to happen in the United States when kids flout authority. Being legal, the experience here is noticeably more laid-back, rather than the frantic drink-fest I remember from home.

Furthermore, drinking in bars or clubs provides some protection for an inexperienced drinker; it promotes responsible drinking far more effectively than drinking at a keg party or in a dorm room. Bar tenders know when to cut a heavy drinker off -- I've seen it happen -- and bouncers and security staff are present to keep intoxicated patrons from hurting themselves or others.

Perhaps most effectively, higher prices limit how much a cash- strapped student can afford to drink -- it's a lot harder on your wallet to get drunk at even a cheap student bar than at a kegger. The atmosphere of the adult world of bars -- where drinking is socially sanctioned, and not covert -- promotes good behavior.

Psychology 101: Teens want to try what they're not allowed to. By taking some of the rebellious edge off of drinking, Canada has helped to foster more responsible drinking attitudes among its youth. Maybe they'll get into trouble a few times, but that's how they learn.

Canadians, like Americans, recognize the dangers inherent in drinking. However, they also recognize the wisdom of encouraging social responsibility in young adults. So come up to Canada, and bring your kids -- you can teach the older ones a valuable lesson. Plus, since they're going to be drinking anyway, they might as well be drinking good beer.

Sol Israel is a Newton resident and a sophomore at the University of Toronto.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Boston Globe Article Reminds Me How I Used to Worry About Underage Drinking

I can say from experience that you are probably right about underage drinking in the US. While I have done an about face on my love for this country, I will remember these wise words over the holidays.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Boston Globe Article Reminds Me How I Used to Worry About Underage Drinking

If you take the illegal edge off all these things though...it makes life a mind numbing bore. Half the fun of drinking under the legal age IS all the hassle of possible arrest and what not. Responsible drinking? Screw that...as a teen you want to get drunk not have pleasent social gatherings where you had interesting conversation over some painfully dry martini's....I think this is what gets lost when Canada looks at the U.S....the fun part of breaking laws, pissing people off, and the general fun of being a drunken bastard.

Responsibility in young adults is a nice idea...but as a teen did ANY of us want to be that?

Not one thing in that article came off as fun...it's far too pleasent and calm...like vanilla ice cream. It's good and sweet but painfully boring.

It's like being a kid at a boring party full of adults...it's nice, comfortable, and interesting....if you're an adult...as a kid it's boring, dissapointing, and makes you wonder what the point of getting old is.

To be honest I think it's IMPORTANT to due mind numbingly stupid and irresponsible things in your life...be it binge drinking and drugs or drunk driving and bar room brawls.

Nowadays I'll admit I like a more quieter and laid back settings...but back in my late teens through early twenties...not so much. You can't make everything so safe and responsible that you take away the edge completely...that makes for a dull life with ones expectations and idea of excitement lowering each passing year.

I take comfort in teens and college kids drinking themselves to death at times in this country...stupidity and irresponsibility is quite entertaining be it as a practitioner or sideliner.

Cheers Tequila

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

We had a major propblem in my youth with underage smoking - in a boarding school everyone was tightly controlled, but there were ways around everything. The school generally overlooked it in the hope that the problem would disappear simply because there was no thrill or worry over being caught. This went the wrong direction and a few people went on to smoking more than just tobacco resulting in a new Principal expelling eight people in one semester, and suspending a further forty or so (not for drugs, but for general things).

Today, in this small town, we have less of a problem with drugs (only one case here and that involved heroin) as some other towns in the area, but more with underage drinking. The kids get their drinks from heaven knows where and then go out into the graveyard, or by the swimming pool or the market centres. The result, because they aren't used to such things, is full rubbish bins in the pool; gravestones tipped over; windows smashed in; cars damaged; dead children because of drunk driving.

Yes, it is great to drink and get that buzz that you're doing something you shouldn't and run the risk of getting caught. But I don't want to be the one digging children out of wrecked cars again just because someone wanted a buzz.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

haha yeah, drinking was more fun when it was illegal. I've had some great adventures even post 21 in countries that have no such laws tho, also.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    But I don't want to be the one digging children out of wrecked cars again just because someone wanted a buzz.
    Nobody wants to do that but if you look at teens and their willingness to get high with just about anything...the bodycount will continue at the pace it's always been...be it through the adrenaline rush of street racing or the more traditional "get high and run over someone like in those don't do drugs commericals"...where I grew up illegal drugs and perscriptian drugs where the things most wanted...liqour pretty much went along for the ride...it was never the main focus...just something that was expected to be had.

+ Reply to Thread