+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Happens if Stock Markets All Crash?

Default What Happens if Stock Markets All Crash?

I am getting more and more worried about the economy and global meltdown.

The more things change the more they remain the same. The fundamental challenges we face today have changed little since Chaucer penned his observations on life and distilled them in a set of tales. In the modern city of Canterbury University Students analyse and dissect the meanings conveyed in texts set in that very locale in the 1300’s.

Youngsters face today’s Jekyll and Hyde society not knowing that the Constants remain; love, betrayal, desire, fear. Each story conveys a lesson as we study for our degree in the University of Life, the big diploma mill of which we are all Alumni. We sit grinning like Cheshire cats, thinking we have all the answers.

We call it a success when we pollute our atmosphere shooting down our own Satellite USA 193, Market Street Credibility is our preferred accreditation and recognition from our peers and fellow consumers, we Poison our Planet for Profit. Banks have crashed before and remember – you can’t eat money.

Globalization has consequences. Everything we do has consequences, even something simple like buying firewood. The Oregon ODA advises not to obtain anything from out-of-state because of all the insects and diseases it might carry. That is just a relatively local issue. Imagine all the things that are carried around the world each day – each hour. We must protect our future, just as we should remember our past. All over the world, From the UK to the USA and the Seychelles to Egypt, still, yes, STILL, there is no REAL alternative to fossil fuels.

Are we all going to purgatory in a wheelbarrow telling each other stories to pass the time? Sometimes I wonder!

Sorry guys, I had a long day and feel sick of the world. Rant Over!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What Happens if Stock Markets All Crash?

My take on globalization: Even our adversaries see the US as too big to fail. We're all getting shafted as taxpayers. We will, however, continue the party at a later date. I just hope they get the fucking rules right before we start beer bonging absinthe

OEC

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

This is a more sophisticated bot, methinks.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

The more you read it, the less grammar you see.

Quote Originally Posted by indedssor
    ...and remember – you can’t eat money
    oooooh yes you can. Suck change from McDs and you might even get a hint of da Special Sauce.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

what is the point of these bots? I've never seen anything like them. They don't seem to be trying to sell anything. Is their job just to disrupt online communities? Coz that would be kind of cool...

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

anarchy 99 bots?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Maybe they are the beginning of "Terminator" bots. Maybe they just want to see our responses. Learn from us our weaknesses and then take over the world. By the way, on a similar note, I hear John Connor has been out of work for several months now. His unemployment checks have dried up. Can some one please hire him? We can't let him die. He maybe the only hope for our future.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Maybe they are the beginning of "Terminator" bots. Maybe they just want to see our responses. Learn from us our weaknesses and then take over the world. By the way, on a similar note, I hear John Connor has been out of work for several months now. His unemployment checks have dried up. Can some one please hire him? We can't let him die. He maybe the only hope for our future.
    i will help him as long as i get to "hook up" with his mother

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    i will help him as long as i get to "hook up" with his mother

Which one? T.V. show mom or theatrical film mom?

Maybe they are the beginning of "Terminator" bots. Maybe they just want to see our responses.
    yeh that's what i was thinking...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    anarchy 99 bots?
    oh nozers/ this is a case where the cure is worse than the disease.

Bedlamite

It will just be the Depression, 21st Century style. I mean, worry, but not too much. It'll happen and we'll deal, or it won't, and we'll still deal. ^_^

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

back to the bots.....
    is it bots or people? bots are normally for spamming, but these ones arnt, of course we did have the ones that said nothing but gibberish.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

What Happens if Stock Markets All Crash?
    america and various other "1st world" countries freaks out cos they cant pay for the petrol in their SUVs and the price of guns goes up.
    the "3rd world" countries laugh and go on about their business of just trying to survive, same as usual
    the higher you are, the further you got to fall

excellent... then my gun running business will prosper!

Bedlamite

If these are bots, I'm loving this new post-bot. I wonder if its a new twist on the Project Upstream conversation starters. LoL.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

wait, what if we blew up all the banks, like on fight club? would that really DO anything?

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

no. because people will still have material wealth to barter with and those who have the money they usually have that to (unless your like Dave from my hometown, a millionare who lives in a static caravan in the grounds of a burned out hotel)

If it's a bot then it's posting to depress and weaken people.

Do you want to live in fear?

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Do you want to live in fear?
    fear makes you strong. I always thought that "the only thing to fear is fear itself" was kind of stupid.

wait, what if we blew up all the banks, like on fight club? would that really DO anything?

i seriously doubt it. that financial information must exist in thousands of secure locations and not only in actual banks. I Loved fight club but I’d say that the damage they caused to private property at the end of the movie would have had way bigger repercussions than any damage to ‘super-computers’. I could be wrong of course. Isn’t one of the BB members a banker??

Quote Originally Posted by episode allah
    i seriously doubt it. that financial information must exist in thousands of secure locations and not only in actual banks. I Loved fight club but I’d say that the damage they caused to private property at the end of the movie would have had way bigger repercussions than any damage to ‘super-computers’. I could be wrong of course. Isn’t one of the BB members a banker??
    Well, hello there! Yeah, actually if they blew up ALL the banks, including buildings owned by banks where they do the actual "accounting"(secure locations), then yes, we'd be fucked. But, that would be pretty much impossible to do. Do you have any idea how many branches of banks are in the US alone? Pa-lenty. When the two planes crashed into the Twin Towers and destroyed all that info from the investment firms, it really didn't destroy any info because everything was backed up and then downloaded at other investment locations. Same goes with the banks. Everything is backed up now just in case. It has to be, just due to hackers and virus'

fear makes you strong. I always thought that "the only thing to fear is fear itself" was kind of stupid.
    I don't think living in fear makes you strong. I think identifying it and understanding it, makes you strong. To me, it's all about knowing yourself and the surroundings around you. Some fears are meant to be overcome. Others are there to help you survive.

I don't think living in fear makes you strong. I think identifying it and understanding it, makes you strong.
    um yeh you're right, i kind of meant to say this.

To me, it's all about knowing yourself and the surroundings around you. Some fears are meant to be overcome. Others are there to help you survive.
    knowing yourself is the problem for me. i don't think that anyone really 'knows' themself and frankly this should scare the shit out of us. Therefore not being scared is, in a sense, a state of weakness because it's a state of denial.

.... i don't think that anyone really 'knows' themself and frankly this should scare the shit out of us. Therefore not being scared is, in a sense, a state of weakness because it's a state of denial.
    i have to disagree with you on the "knowing yourself" thing...

i have been through a lot in life. i truly know my limits and myself. i have been tested in war and believe me there can be times in combat where you really find your true self. not everyone goes through that, but part of SF is knowing your limits so you can either overcome them alone or with your team when you have to. just the training alone (for all SpecOps) will show you your true self... i started with 412 people on day one and finished with 69...

like others have said, probably not. The real deal is that in the book they were going to blow up a museum, like the Smithsonian or something to symbolically "destroy history". The idea is that people waste their lives and in that case they treasure the past more than they treasure the present. Kinda makes a bit more sense. Also they fail to blow up the building.

For whatever reason they decided to do it that way in the movie. I guess you aren't supposed to think about it and just sit back and enjoy the destruction with Brad, Helena, and The Pixies.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    is it bots or people? bots are normally for spamming, but these ones arnt, of course we did have the ones that said nothing but gibberish.
    There is a logic to bot posts, just not an obvious one. Sometimes they contain links which the forum filters out, so you don't see their spam, but often it's a tainting process for future messages (a distributed method of confusing Googlebot's relevance filter). You won't see the posts on one site as achieving anything, but that IP address' posts on the web as a whole have a grand design behind them. They always have a reason, as they're being paid for by someone.

This one's quite new, but I wouldn't expect it's a coincidence that there's a spam-flagged finance company with an address of 193 Market St, Cheshire. Quite handy all those words now appear in a series of discussions about the economy, ain't it...

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I guess you aren't supposed to think about it and just sit back and enjoy the destruction with Brad, Helena, and The Pixies.
    and enjoyable it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    This one's quite new, but I wouldn't expect it's a coincidence that there's a spam-flagged finance company with an address of 193 Market St, Cheshire. Quite handy all those words now appear in a series of discussions about the economy, ain't it...
    sweet....

Crown Data Collection Enforcement Agency (also trading as The Data Collection Enforcement Agency)/Christopher Williams/Francis Boyd/Gerry Stanley
    193 Market Street , Hyde, Cheshire SK14 1HF The Office of Fair Trading was of the view that the advertisements were misleading under the Control of Misleading Advertisements Regulations 1988 and obtained formal undertakings from Christopher Williams and Francis Boyd (both involved with Crown Data Collection Enforcement Agency and The Data Collection Enforcement Agency) in April 2003 to refrain from further publishing and disseminating the misleading advertisements. Gerry Stanley, the proprietor of the contact address for these advertisements, also gave a formal undertaking in April 2003 relating to his involvement.
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/..._agencies.aspx

2003? ...random stuff...

btw, about the post, I don't want to sound weird as Michael Moore, but if this is designed by someone for something other than spam then it's made to make average person worry more and to notice things happening around them less. As in: read the "rant" -> think -> be worried -> get all kinds of crazy ideas about what comes next -> get more worried -> you'll figure out the rest because at this hour my inglish tends to suck..

it's the Davinci code.

Haha... I laughed so hard when I read it again... I must have been stoned when I wrote that

stoned posting is the new drunk dialing.

That was way ago... Going to work on LSD is the new big thing.
    Btw it helps creativity.

+ Reply to Thread