+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you think someone should be allowed to die if they want to?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you think someone should be allowed to die if they want to?

Do you think someone who wants to kill him or herself should be stopped? If so, under what conditions?

Default Re: Do you think someone should be allowed to die if they want to?

Each case is subjective, and circumstancial.

DescendingAngel's Avatar Member

I think it all depends. If there is an elderly person, who is unable to take care of themselves anymore and wish to not live anymore then I think they should be able to have a choice. If it is just a young depressive person, then I do believe that they should be stopped and maybe go to some type of counseling or therapy. It is a very sensitive subject. Who should be able to die and who should be able to live. Mental anguish can be just as bad as physical pains. I believe that all efforts should be made to keep a person alive, but then there is only so much you can do...If a person really wants to die, then they will....

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

As long as others aren't harmed, I don't see why not. Especially if the person has a terminal illness. Who'd want to live through that?

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Under conditions such as intense pain that can't be treated & you are going to die anyways (i.e. last stage of cancer), ending up as a vegetable & they happen to have a will stating that, and similar conditions. People with clinical depression should be treated instead of allowing them to die; they have a neurotransmitter imbalance (in a lot of cases).

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I think they should provided their is NO hope for recovery in their condition...however if we're talking something lile Leaving Las Vegas...then I would like to think MORE effort would be put in to help a person NOT commit a self inflicted death. Life as overwhelming as it may be has a value in both age and time...to cut it short prematurely seems pitiful and wasteful even if in your mind you've "seen and done it all."

Suicide in any form though carries more of a legal problem though...civil suits, unpaid debts, etc. When a person kills themselves it often turns out to be more of a hassle for the living than anyone else...be it emotional or financial.

So really the rule should be...You can kill yourself provided you've paid off your debts and no one gets screwed over for your actions.

It may seem harsh, but I think people are more concerned about the effect the suicide person's death will have on them, than the person who is actually comitting the suicide, although that is NOT always the case.

DyingSunshine's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    It may seem harsh, but I think people are more concerned about the effect the suicide person's death will have on them, than the person who is actually comitting the suicide, although that is NOT always the case.

I agree with your comment to a certain extent, but having dealt with suicide and all that.. I don't think thats the intent, or concern of the majority of people who are dealing, or have dealt with suicide. I think everyone should I have the right to choose if they want to live or not, but I think that when that choice comes to people you genuinely care about it's hard to deal with. Not only for yourself, but for the happiness and well being of your friend(s). I know that the people I lost to suicide are better off, because in the end they had control of their lives, but that doesn't stop me from missing them.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

I think people should be allowed to but, I think its usually a hurried decision, and most people would take it back if they could. A really good friend of mine hung himself last year, I think if he had thought about it a little more, he wouldnt have done it.
    I have patients kill themselves all the time, some I feel didnt deserve it, some I feel did.
    Terminally ill- yes
    Certain types of mental illness should be allowed to die. I hate to see my tax money keeping some of my patients alive against their will. When some of them will never be fit to do anything other than stay locked up in some facility, getting pumped with meds.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Certain types of mental illness should be allowed to die. I hate to see my tax money keeping some of my patients alive against their will. When some of them will never be fit to do anything other than stay locked up in some facility, getting pumped with meds.
    Thing is I doubt we'll see Government Sanctioned Suicide again in any form for a VERY long time. The Nazi's used it to "purify" their bloodlines and the fear is such a system could evolve and become abused. Still you raise a valid point in that some end up simply being locked away out of sight out of mind...that's almost as inhumane since they are "socially" euthenised so to speak...kept out of public light till they and their bloodline die.

I think people should be allowed to but someone needs to be present to take pictures and post them on Rotten.com

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    I think people should be allowed to but someone needs to be present to take pictures and post them on Rotten.com
    Here! Here! I agree.
    I think if someone wants to die they should be able to. Besides, you very rarely know someone is truley suicidal until it's too late. Too many people use it as an attention getter and that sucks.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

A lady was in my hospital today, getting admitted. I couldnt stop staring. Her face. It was more mutilated than anything Ive ever seen. Reminded me of the movie Hannibal. She tried to kill herself in 99, by sticking a shotgun under her chin. She lived. Her face was in 3 different pieces. Her right cheek was like a blowfish, she had no lips. Her nose was a smear with 1.5 nostrils. Im assuming she wore dentures, her teeth were fine. I could see all her teeth, in the same way you can see a skulls teeth.

That poor lady.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Her face. It was more mutilated than anything Ive ever seen. Reminded me of the movie Hannibal. She tried to kill herself in 99, by sticking a shotgun under her chin. She lived. Her face was in 3 different pieces. Her right cheek was like a blowfish, she had no lips. Her nose was a smear with 1.5 nostrils. Im assuming she wore dentures, her teeth were fine. I could see all her teeth, in the same way you can see a skulls teeth.
    The latest episode of Nip/Tuck had that exact situation...really creepy...it must be 10X more in real life.

Poor lady indeed.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Yes.

ScarMeBeautiful's Avatar Senior Member

I think they should.
    I also think that if that person wanted a loved one to help them pass on, that should be aloud to. It's their life ending, they should at least choose the way of it.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

I've said this before, and will say it again here: People who'd never dream of cutting their own hair for fear of the consequences seem to have no problem with the idea of killing themselves. Killing a full-grown human is not a DIY venture.

Just a frickin' second, I can link to this, can't I...

Here we go, read the rant I wrote ten years ago about this.

The way I see the assisted suicide is if someone wants to kill themselves be it either because of terminal illness or just do not want to carry on....Hey great...go do it...The only people that will get hurt would be the IRS they would lose that revenue from the income taxes....Other than that...I see no problem with someone old, young, ending their lives...Usually people that want to do it do it regaurdless of what others say or think, and most of the time when people try to commit suicide they fail and wind up a vegetable or paralyzed....This is why I think Assisted Suicide is a good thing...This way the people are dead and are not sucking up valuable reources to keep them living a truly Sad existence.

This to me is Darwins Natural Selection at work...Only the strong survive..or in this case only the strong willed survive...It takes a lot of will and motivation for someone to keep going on day in and day out...Death is the easy way out of all the hassle.....

Do I support suicide...Not really ....Will I lose some sleep because someone in bumsville Idaho Self-Terminates...Probally not.. The world will keep spinnin wheather they are on it or not...This is getting pretty lengthy so this is where I Stop..

AmuroRei's Avatar Junior Member

Everyone has their own date, and time to die, these dates were set before any of us were ever born, when it happens it happens.

+ Reply to Thread