+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you do ren-fest? comicon?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default do you do ren-fest? comicon?

the rennaissance festival is out here again. i personally don't get the whole draw to it but that's just because i've had to deal with big time ren-fest fans at the sword shop all the time and worked for a ren-fest enthusiast who also was a member of the local sca group out here. I dunno. just never been my kinda thing. my mom likes it but even she doesnt like parts to it like the weather out here.

i usually just do the local comicon but even that has gotten kinda old lately especially since all the artists started charging twenty bucks for autographs last year which frankly is irritating since they get paid to be there and you have to pay to get in to see them anyway.

what about you?

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Default Re: do you do ren-fest? comicon?

I'll be at GenCon and my site will have reps @ Dragon*Con this year

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't really like going to ren faires for fun. but i'd love to work at one. you get paid to be an asshole! you can grab some guys I-phone and smash it on the ground and call him a warlock, and people have to go along with it. what are they going to do? pick a fight with the dudes in chain mail that are brandishing broadswords?

But I would totally overthrow the king and usurp the throne.

I'd like to go to comicon this summer, last year was the first time in five years that I haven't gone. but I don't know if it's going to happen. no money, transportation, all that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't really like going to ren faires for fun. but i'd love to work at one. you get paid to be an asshole! you can grab some guys I-phone and smash it on the ground and call him a warlock, and people have to go along with it. what are they going to do? pick a fight with the dudes in chain mail that are brandishing broadswords?

But I would totally overthrow the king and usurp the throne.

I'd like to go to comicon this summer, last year was the first time in five years that I haven't gone. but I don't know if it's going to happen. no money, transportation, all that shit.
    i can relate to that. i misse dit this year for lack of funds but didnt really wanna go cus the main headliner was todd mcfarlane which is kinda like he's lived out here for over ten years now and he's just finally making it out to comicon?

and that does sound kinda fun throwing someoness i phone down and shit. those things piss me off. although if you're gonna have a broadsword, make sure it's a decent replic cus some of the ones they make there are way too heavy to wield and are usually off balance and they can call the cops if ya go in with an edged one.

Meh, the medieval/renaissance stuff isn't really my thing. It's a pretty dull worldsetting without the magic and dragons and shit. I'd go to a cyberpunk faire though... but they're only up to streampunk here so far, so that might take a while yet.

The completely untrained dudes in very heavy chain mail that's not really helpful against anything but stab and slash attacks to the torso, brandishing dulled and poorly balanced stainless steel broadswords that'll scatter if you parry them with a stick?

Hell yes. I'd probably let you finish with the I-phone first, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Meh, the medieval/renaissance stuff isn't really my thing. It's a pretty dull worldsetting without the magic and dragons and shit. I'd go to a cyberpunk faire though... but they're only up to streampunk here so far, so that might take a while yet.

The completely untrained dudes in very heavy chain mail that's not really helpful against anything but stab and slash attacks to the torso, brandishing dulled and poorly balanced stainless steel broadswords that'll scatter if you parry them with a stick?

Hell yes. I'd probably let you finish with the I-phone first, though.
    hey........dont knock the steam punk lol i was just designing a steam punk cosplay costume for a female green goblin lol

I go to the MD Renaissance Festival all the time. I used to work there, as well. Of course, I do Darkon all the time, so I am into the medieval stuff in general.

...and if dudes in chainmail with broadswords took my iPhone, there would immediately be a fight, yes. Nothing wrong with getting banned for the season if the story's epic enough.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    hey........dont knock the steam punk lol i was just designing a steam punk cosplay costume for a female green goblin lol
    I'm not knocking steam punk. It's a relatively cool style; far moreso than plain victorian or the ren fest stuff.

It's just all the friggin' brown that ruins it for me. I'd rather skip a few ages ahead to a time where metals are silver or blueish, and leather can be dyed.

untrained? no way, dude. those dorks live for that sort of thing. I've seen these guys do their battles, I mean maybe they couldn't take out the ultimate fighter, but those guy can whack pretty good with their swords.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about you, hypothetically temping as a ren faire extra.

yeah, didn't you see the part where I'd revolt against the king? that guy is a pussy. the sword dudes will be the ones doing my bidding, protecting me from angry mobs of tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I'm not knocking steam punk. It's a relatively cool style; far moreso than plain victorian or the ren fest stuff.

It's just all the friggin' brown that ruins it for me. I'd rather skip a few ages ahead to a time where metals are silver or blueish, and leather can be dyed.
    lol i can dig it all that bronze and brass and copper and brown can be pretty icky. brown is the color for being sick btw so that's probably why people dont like it so much. that's why i was doing a green gobliness one with tons fo gren and purple and maybe some oriental flare too. i mean steam punk's based around victorian era stuff but i dont think it has to be victorian london entirely lol

Brigeyboo's Avatar Senior Member

I love going to ren faires x3 i love walking around and seeing all the people...but mainly because i LOVE the corsets. i'm a corset fiend when i go there xD
    never really been to any cons, though i'd love to go to the midwest haunters convention this summer (i might be passing through around that time so why not :P)

yeah, didn't you see the part where I'd revolt against the king? that guy is a pussy. the sword dudes will be the ones doing my bidding, protecting me from angry mobs of tourists.
    I hadn't realised we were playing make-belief. Here's my adjusted stance on the issue:

"Yeah well, then I'm the emperor! Hah!"

I would think that you would support the overthrow of the monarchy. I'm trying to establish a progressive medieval society here.

I'm in the SCA

Heres a fighting video we did. I'm the guy in the black and white crusader tabbard in the beginning.

Usually do hevay too, but we were short of people for the demo so I did strictly rapier.

thats cool. i like the idea behind the sca but unfortunately out her emost of the members are the ones who dont know how to "turn it off' when they're not at an event yaknow?

I would think that you would support the overthrow of the monarchy. I'm trying to establish a progressive medieval society here.
    Meh, it sounded very "The king is dead. Long live the king!" to me. Besides, adding sensible political themes to a medieval setting just results in Monthy Python references. Another reason why I prefer cyberpunk.

err yeah^

untrained? no way, dude. those dorks live for that sort of thing. I've seen these guys do their battles, I mean maybe they couldn't take out the ultimate fighter, but those guy can whack pretty good with their swords.
    I've been doing that shit for 23+ years, so I feel okay with that sort of combat.

I like your style. want to help me sack a village?

+ Reply to Thread