+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on Seattle?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Thoughts on Seattle?

I believe Lennon said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." Without outlining the new opportunties/plans, a relocation to the emerald city is possible in the next year or so.

Any info would be welcome. I'm interested in everything from co-operative ventures to gothic clubs to how people see the place sociologically. I have not spent time there in many years now. Enjoyed it when I did.

Thanks

OEC

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Thoughts on Seattle?

There's one Goth club in the area, and renting in the city is pricey as hell.

Capitol Hill is the "alterna-" place to be. But the two BBers who relocated to the area relocated outside the city: I am to the South, and the other is to the North. The Sounder train is an excellent way to get into the city, for all intents and purposes.

There's an online list called SeaGoth that can help. They're a nice bunch of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    There's one Goth club in the area, and renting in the city is pricey as hell.

Capitol Hill is the "alterna-" place to be. But the two BBers who relocated to the area relocated outside the city: I am to the South, and the other is to the North. The Sounder train is an excellent way to get into the city, for all intents and purposes.

There's an online list called SeaGoth that can help. They're a nice bunch of folks.
    Thanks. I'll check all those sources out. Housing will be of no concern. Are you closer to Bellevue across the Lake? Have relatives there.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    Thanks. I'll check all those sources out. Housing will be of no concern. Are you closer to Bellevue across the Lake? Have relatives there.
    I'm in the Fife/Tacoma area.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

here's what I think od seattle: portland is much cooler. but you knew I would say that. seatle is very beautiful, and estheticaly pleasing. let us know what you decide on.

Portland is much cooler... considering a move there myself.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    here's what I think od seattle: portland is much cooler. but you knew I would say that. seatle is very beautiful, and estheticaly pleasing. let us know what you decide on.
    It's about family really. I actually prefer PDX too. Lived there when I was 16 for about 6 months. I'll definitely mention it though. I ain't the majority coinholder for this gig though. Either way, I'd be happy to meet you in PDX at some point.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

The drive from Seattle to Portland and vice-versa is not bad.

Downtown Seattle has great eating, fresh food and good coffee, but, with the exception of one nightclub with a death-defying staircase and a couple diners, most of the place (freakishly including coffee and bars) tends to roll up the sidewalks around 6:30pm. A lot of Seattle is cheaper than say Los Angeles or San Francisco, but not much cheaper and various environmental laws have a hold on future developments. On the plus side in a rocky real estate market, if you buy in Seattle, property is more likely to hold its value.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    The drive from Seattle to Portland and vice-versa is not bad.

Downtown Seattle has great eating, fresh food and good coffee, but, with the exception of one nightclub with a death-defying staircase and a couple diners, most of the place (freakishly including coffee and bars) tends to roll up the sidewalks around 6:30pm. A lot of Seattle is cheaper than say Los Angeles or San Francisco, but not much cheaper and various environmental laws have a hold on future developments. On the plus side in a rocky real estate market, if you buy in Seattle, property is more likely to hold its value.
    True. I was just looking at the PDX market. Prices are definitely down, but you'd have to really know the neighborhoods etc. I've driven from PDX to Seattle quite a few times. Grandparents had an Xmas Tree Farm (no joke) in Southern Washington + have relatives in Bellevue (the Seattle suburb/township thing haha). I would prefer PDX overall I think.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i absolutely adore seattle. i just got home from a heart stopping family reunion in Ohio and omigawds. it is sooooo good to home where i know the people think. i dunno about which is cooler but seattle is wonderful. even when it's raining (and it doesn't do that as much as people told me it does). there's more than one club, and while the private club I go to has a very small dance floor it does put me in the mind of some of the better clubs i've been to in LA. the shopping is awesome the food rules and well you know the coffee kicks ass. (i had an hour lay over in chicago and bought a cappuccino. eww. she pushed a button on the machine that said cappuccino. and it was nasty. the stuff brewed up the street in one of the hundreds of independent coffee shacks around here is sooooo much better). i'm just getting the hang of things really but damn, this place rocks.

~K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    i absolutely adore seattle. i just got home from a heart stopping family reunion in Ohio and omigawds. it is sooooo good to home where i know the people think. i dunno about which is cooler but seattle is wonderful. even when it's raining (and it doesn't do that as much as people told me it does). there's more than one club, and while the private club I go to has a very small dance floor it does put me in the mind of some of the better clubs i've been to in LA. the shopping is awesome the food rules and well you know the coffee kicks ass. (i had an hour lay over in chicago and bought a cappuccino. eww. she pushed a button on the machine that said cappuccino. and it was nasty. the stuff brewed up the street in one of the hundreds of independent coffee shacks around here is sooooo much better). i'm just getting the hang of things really but damn, this place rocks.

~K
    Awesome! I'm really glad you found such a good situation. Will have to get you a premium java if I end up there.

Murk1's Avatar Junior Member

10 years in Seattle. Used to Live in LA, then SF. Seattle is the most provincial city I have ever lived in. Yes, things close early. When I do go out on the rare occasion (like for Jesus and Mary Chain this week) There is no food to be had afterwords except for a couple joints, usually not in the club area downtown. I guess the goth ish clubs would be Noc Noc and the Mercury (private, so they can smoke themselves silly and deny entrance to Jocks) The Merc is cool, but I still don't have a membership and have to BS my way in, but I have only not gotten in once. Noc Noc reminds me of a wanna be goth alterna club in central CA. Not my thing. Seattle does not like to dress up much, there are jeans and running shoes every where, which makes it easy to be a super snappy dresser, but makes people watching boring. Thats the Noc Noc thing, not many put forth an effort. The Merc tries harder.
    If you like blown glass, you will love Seattle, there are loads of glass shops, you can't throw a rock without hitting a glass worker.

Yes, very good coffee, no you can't buy hard booze from the corner store or grocer, you have to go to a state liquor store that is closed on Sunday (so much for afternoon margaritas on the deck on impulse on Sunday) and closes early every other nite of the week. (so much for getting Gin and Tonic makings at 10 pm on impulse.) But hey, if you don't mind planning out yer drinkin, ok. Lots of good Microbrews.

Most folks who move hear wonder why Seattlites don't speak their mind to you, but will tell all their pals what the problem is and wait for it to get back to you. It took me a few years to learn to not be so blunt with the locals.Hmm, yes lots of clouds and rain in the winter, but you like coats anyhow, so, thats ok.

I must say, I have never met so many gay republicans. Its very odd, but they exist in droves in Seattle.

If you like to get outdoors now and then, Seattle can't be beat, great snowboarding in the winter, Stunning land and sea activities for summer.

Thats my take

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

AND, it's close to Vancouver, which is awesome!

+ Reply to Thread