+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Media Portrayal of LGBT

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Media Portrayal of LGBT

I am sad to report that same-sex marriage has suffered losses in 4 states in recent weeks. I had hoped that the state courts would apply the legal precedents operative in the Massachusetts case. They did not.

What I am wondering is how people feel media portrayal has affected the gay rights movement as a whole?

In particular, shows like Queer as Folk, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy, L Word and others (please add any you know of, I really am this oblivious to what's on these days)

Do they make different sexualities cool and hip?
    Do they simply reiterate stereotypes of GLBT folks?
    Do they change anyone's mind either way?

I realize these questions are a stretch. As same-sex marriage will likely go to the voters, a middle 30% of undecided folks will decide these matters. Anecdotally, it seems to have become more acceptable (specifically amongst law school conservatives which is a positive sign)

So anyways: What are your views on the current treatment of LGBT in the media?
    How might it be improved?
    Ignoring the 30+% hopeless homophobes, what can be done to get these folks to vote affirmatively for same-sex marriage?

Having watched QAF, I'd have to say the message is mixed at best. It will appeal to young "hip" voters, but will not dissipate certain stereotypes amongst the undecided.

Any thoughts?

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Media Portrayal of LGBT

the media exists soley to perpetuate societies standards, as the number one source that people turn to for either information about this standard, or having allready been exposed and entrusting to it, to simply compley with.

being that the target of the social norm is the white suburban family and secondly the teenager that will suceed to it, it's no shock that this is the image and the audience that dominates the media. Being that most of us are ingrained in this concept, we don't think that the portrayal is anything but normal and not as much a stereotyped fiction as any other, and certainly don't question why anything else is not shown as such. For example how often have we seen a TV show about poor rural whites (or anyone in that econcomic situation for that matter) presented in a serious and respectable way and not one that was sympathetic and/or amusing?

unless we become a truly equal society that doesn't judge people by thier skin color, class and sexual oreitation- then we won't be seeing them presented by the media in a way that doesn't focus on these things and present then as a primary factor in a person's perception, anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    the media exists soley to perpetuate societies standards, as the number one source that people turn to for either information about this standard, or having allready been exposed and entrusting to it, to simply compley with.

being that the target of the social norm is the white suburban family and secondly the teenager that will suceed to it, it's no shock that this is the image and the audience that dominates the media. Being that most of us are ingrained in this concept, we don't think that the portrayal is anything but normal and not as much a stereotyped fiction as any other, and certainly don't question why anything else is not shown as such. For example how often have we seen a TV show about poor rural whites (or anyone in that econcomic situation for that matter) presented in a serious and respectable way and not one that was sympathetic and/or amusing?

unless we become a truly equal society that doesn't judge people by thier skin color, class and sexual oreitation- then we won't be seeing them presented by the media in a way that doesn't focus on these things and present then as a primary factor in a person's perception, anytime soon.
    I would have to agree, sadly. The weird thing about LGBT portrayal (from what little I've seen) is it kind of portrays a "politically correct" message. They're ok but they're not quite OK: thus reflecting society's current view. In all seriousness MG, it is a fucking embarassment to me. It goes beyond even the low standards we tend to set for our fellow citizens. I think it is possible to muckrake the media, however. Difficult but possible.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know, just the fact that anyone can even hold onto the belief of a "free country" while we are passing legislation to outlaw equal rights is beyond me.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

honestly, I felt the whole gay marriage push was done alittle too soon and with not enough backing or forethought into it. There are so many other rights that could be looked at way before that like being alowwed to serve openly in the military, being given equal opportunity treatment in some business institutions, etc. I think the media in general is a bunch of two faced asses simply because i have seen first hand how the media in general will find things to make stories with if theres nothing there and sometimes hinder rather than help out in situations. i think gays should be allowed to marry but alot of thigns need to be done first before that will ideally happen, one being to get a presidential candidate who wont pussy around it. kerry,the guy i votes for,wouldnt back it but rather went with the save our ass approach of a legal civil union with all the benefits of marriage and bush wouldnt do it because he said clinton had put into the records that marriage was defined between a man a woman, the gays have gotten screwed over on a lot of things but , honestly, even to lump together so many lifestyles into one large category is kinda self destructive for a core cause too. gay, lesbain,bisexual,transgendered and questioning (yeh, they added that to it too.) theres so many different focusses going on that it's hard to come together on anything.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out why gays even want to get married in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't know, just the fact that anyone can even hold onto the belief of a "free country" while we are passing legislation to outlaw equal rights is beyond me.
    The fight is still on in the judiciary. It hasn't all been losses, but yeah we got slapped down pretty hard.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I'm still trying to figure out why gays even want to get married in the first place
    Civil marriage is a bundle of rights and responsibilities. On the federal level, it gives you access to some 1138 benefits of a contractual agreement. You have to consider matters such as inheritance, mutual tax returns, adoption, legal recourse for separation and so forth.
    I tend to view it in a strict legal sense. I believe the churches can "sanctify" marriage as they see fit.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    honestly, I felt the whole gay marriage push was done alittle too soon and with not enough backing or forethought into it. There are so many other rights that could be looked at way before that like being alowwed to serve openly in the military, being given equal opportunity treatment in some business institutions, etc. I think the media in general is a bunch of two faced asses simply because i have seen first hand how the media in general will find things to make stories with if theres nothing there and sometimes hinder rather than help out in situations. i think gays should be allowed to marry but alot of thigns need to be done first before that will ideally happen, one being to get a presidential candidate who wont pussy around it. kerry,the guy i votes for,wouldnt back it but rather went with the save our ass approach of a legal civil union with all the benefits of marriage and bush wouldnt do it because he said clinton had put into the records that marriage was defined between a man a woman, the gays have gotten screwed over on a lot of things but , honestly, even to lump together so many lifestyles into one large category is kinda self destructive for a core cause too. gay, lesbain,bisexual,transgendered and questioning (yeh, they added that to it too.) theres so many different focusses going on that it's hard to come together on anything.
    The lack of coordination has been a major problem. Lambda Legal has used some effective strategies for incremental change at the state level. At the same time, some jackass is trying to go federal before the issue is ripe. You are right concerning the backlash. Defense of Marriage Act threw it back a good 10-20 years (at least)

OEC

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

what the whole comunity should do is make steping stones up to marriage and work on the individual sections concerns first. And honestly, if you look back on it, the whole gay marriage thing was kicked into over drive by the media after sodomy was taken off of being illegal in a couple of states cus the next day, there was newspapers everywhere saying "is gay marriage next?" I HATE THE MEDIA!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread