+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone-a-phobia

Default Phone-a-phobia

Is it really weird that I'm somewhat afraid to use the phone? I don't really even feel completely comfortable calling close friends. It's a small ordeal to get myself to use a phone. I dunno why.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: Phone-a-phobia

Holy Mother of God, there's a treatment program!

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/p...SDID=6098:1881

Ignoring the obvious one-liners about exploding handsets, what is it that freaks you out - the item itself, talking to someone you can't see or just the whole concept of having conversations? Genuinely curious.

(as no doubt are the raft of psych majors who've joined in 2006)

mG

It's not the phone itself. It's not even talking on the phone I can answer and be fine to talk. I'm terrified to initiate a call...I have absolutely no idea why. It's kinda hinders me sometimes. I won't call stores to ask if something is in stock, I don't like to call my friends (generally I try to make them make calls for me), I don't like to call to make appointments. (To some extent I also don't like writing emails.)

@_@ They expect people to be able to call for more info?@_@

Sounds like your self-conscious about how others percieve your importance. Just remember if they didn't want to talk to you they wouldn't answer the phone or hang up when they realize its you

That may be part of it. I feel pretty weirded out when I get a voice mail...It's just any kind of call...even professional ones...though maybe that's still in the same vein.

Woah im soo glad its not just me that has this weird phobia! Everytime i go to call someone my stomach tightens and i have to go to the loo lots before i can even initiate the call! Then when im talking i start jumbling up words and stuttering.

My stomach doesn't tighten but I'll sit around anxious for minutes on end before I'll force myself to call. Sometimes if I really have to make a call I use IPRelay to call people. Even then it's starting to become a slight ordeal to make the call.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i am the same way. Talking on the phone to someone I dont know is equal to a a root canal by a Safeway Employee...seriously...but the weird thing ,
    I used to work at a call center, and then I worked for Adobe, screening calls to their cooprate offices...
    I had no problem at all....but when it's at my house I hate it. Everytime my phone rings I cringe.

i try to get other people to ring up for me, i know what you mean about the anxiousness, most of the time i just think *nah i'll survive with not knowing* and the calls are never made!

Exactly, that's totally my feeling. I love it if I have someone else around. I'll actually hand them the phone and try to force them to call for me.

In real life when I meet someone new I seriously make the worst first impressions, people think I am so weird because I babble when im uncomfortable
    ...i just keep talking..I never stop..silence is scary....everyone just sitting there...staring at me...must distract

I either babble or won't talk at all and be purposely cold. It depends on the cadence the person catches me at. If I happen to be in a more hyper moment I'll babble. If I'm grouchy or just finished doing something...even if I'm relieved to be finished (like just getting off work or something) I'll sorta cold.

Ah yesh me too, im either really really quiet and everytime im asked a question i miraculously(sp?) lose my voice and then have to make disturbing noises to get my voice back or im overly loud and i start hugging people... and then i think "oh god what am i doing??"

I have a semi fear of physical affection. I've developed a lot of quirks as a result of my ex girlfriend. I'm not afraid of it...I just prefer not to be touched. My ex was all touchey all the time. I dunno...I think I'm a bundle of phobias and quirks sometimes.

ah well i guess been a bit freaky is better than being boring hehe

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Vicious Vivaldi
    It's not the phone itself. It's not even talking on the phone I can answer and be fine to talk. I'm terrified to initiate a call...I have absolutely no idea why. It's kinda hinders me sometimes. I won't call stores to ask if something is in stock, I don't like to call my friends (generally I try to make them make calls for me), I don't like to call to make appointments. (To some extent I also don't like writing emails.)
    holy shit...i'm not alone in this! and i'm not joking, i dont even know why i'm like this...i especially dont like calling significant others, i dont know y though.

Its like i feel i'll be bothering who ever i call, like i might call right in the middle of something important.....I try to do most of my conversations and planning online, or if i need to ask some one something i'll leave my msn open and hope they come online so i can ask.

Omg...wow...I'm so glad I'M not alone too. And here I thought I was like a total freak!

I tend to leave chat programs open too. I even use text messages to avoid the phone.

Bedlamite

*nod* I don't mind answering the phone, I just don't like to make phone calls. Its not so much a phobia, but it does prevent alot of socializing because people do want you to call them. Ahh well.

Eva:Gina's Avatar Senior Member

i hate using the phone
    horrible things

Quote Originally Posted by Eva:Gina
    i hate using the phone
    horrible things
    Yep

Yeah, my mobile bill is crazy too. I don't like using the phone either.

OUr cell phones cost us $160.00 a month...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

phones are handy, as for intitiating a call , theres always a good chance you'll get the machine

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I hate having to phone people. It feels like I'm imposing, and I have to have a SOLID REASON to phone and have things that will attract and hold the other person's attention and generally have to validate the fact that I would dare interrupt their day. It sucks!

What I find helps is to, well, call from a pay phone. Because then you can't just hang up, because everyone ELSE is watching. Anxiety against anxiety deathmatch! See if phone or social phobia wins, place bets, Truckasaurus, fun for the whole family!

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    OUr cell phones cost us $160.00 a month...
    WHAAAAT?!?! that's madness!!!

Do you not have pay as you go mobiles in america? I still £10 on my phone and that lasts me a month :-X and thats only roughly like $18!

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

What I'm getting is interesting..

The kind of calls that are freaking you out seem to be the ones you either aren't expecting, or ones that may evolve. 'Work' calls with a defined purpose and 15 second duration seem less of an issue, but random calls to and from friends that may go on a while seem to be worse. Is it a feeling of being trapped into the call with no (polite) means of escape?

The whole 'AIM is OK but the phone is not' issue is critical, as far as i can see. With text, the conversation runs at your pace and you can think about answers.. delete and re-edit them. With a phone call it's rushed, realtime and you don't have a backspace button. Is the driving phobia not the phone, but the fear of making mistakes?

[away for a few days but this'll give me something to analyze on the flight. I pity the fool who sits next to me...]

mG

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Whenever I use the phone I start hearing voices.......weird maaaaaaaan!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I hate using the phone.. but that is because i don't like ordering pizza.. I love pizza, but pizza places ask to many damn questions.. all I want is a pizza.. is that so hard..

Don't meven get me started on calling someone then THEY put you on hold because of another CALL... I say Fawk them, and hang up...

I am going ot end this with...

"If you call a midget, and they are long distance... Are you getting the long and short of it?"

BC

+ Reply to Thread