+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite philosophers?

Default Favorite philosophers?

My collection of favorite philosophers is getting bigger hehe. I'm curious as to who inspires you? Whether it be a long dead Greek, an old Russian or German from medieval days or a modern musician. Lets hear it

Socrates, one of Platos students always has something thoughtful to read.

Wothless people live to eat and drink. People of worth eat and drink only to live -Socrates

Plato's words are always simple and humble but very powerful. I love reading his quotes and ideas.

All men are by nature equal, made all of the same earth by one Workman; and however we deceive ourselves, as dear unto God is the poor peasant as the mighty prince. -Plato

At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.
    Plato

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.
    Plato

Ignorance is the root and stem of every evil. Plato

The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.
    Plato

The Sikh Gurus like Nanak and the like also seem to be spouts of wisdom/ideas or just seem to hold cool ways of looking at things.

He, who backbites loses his own credit; The slanderer only exposes himself. - Guru IV, Bilawal Rag

As far as music I love listening to Rogue from the Cruxshadows talk. His uplifting views on morality, life, belief, relationships etc are very refreshing to listen too.

My newest favorite though started out with me hating him. Being forced to read Immanuel Kant made my head hurt/eyes bleed and made me wanna go read 4chan or Somethingawful as fast as I could haha. But after awhile I realized that Kant really was a genius. The topics he spoke of are brilliant. My favorite however was when he spoke about "What is enlightenment" thats what really made my eyes open.

Heres a cut and paste of the part I found to be most exciting.

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance from another. This immaturity is self-imposed when its cause lies not in lack of understanding, but in lack of resolve and courage to use it without guidance from another. Sapere Aude! [dare to know] "Have courage to use your own understanding!"--that is the motto of enlightenment.

Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why so great a proportion of men, long after nature has released them from alien guidance (natura-liter maiorennes), nonetheless gladly remain in lifelong immaturity, and why it is so easy for others to establish themselves as their guardians. It is so easy to be immature. If I have a book to serve as my understanding, a pastor to serve as my conscience, a physician to determine my diet for me, and so on, I need not exert myself at all. I need not think, if only I can pay: others will readily undertake the irksome work for me. The guardians who have so benevolently taken over the supervision of men have carefully seen to it that the far greatest part of them (including the entire fair sex) regard taking the step to maturity as very dangerous, not to mention difficult. Having first made their domestic livestock dumb, and having carefully made sure that these docile creatures will not take a single step without the go-cart to which they are harnessed, these guardians then show them the danger that threatens them, should they attempt to walk alone. Now this danger is not actually so great, for after falling a few times they would in the end certainly learn to walk; but an example of this kind makes men timid and usually frightens them out of all further attempts.

Thus, it is difficult for any individual man to work himself out of the immaturity that has all but become his nature. He has even become fond of this state and for the time being is actually incapable of using his own understanding, for no one has ever allowed him to attempt it. Rules and formulas, those mechanical aids to the rational use, or rather misuse, of his natural gifts, are the shackles of a permanent immaturity. Whoever threw them off would still make only an uncertain leap over the smallest ditch, since he is unaccustomed to this kind of free movement. Consequently, only a few have succeeded, by cultivating their own minds, in freeing themselves from immaturity and pursuing a secure course.

But that the public should enlighten itself is more likely; indeed, if it is only allowed freedom, enlightenment is almost inevitable. For even among the entrenched guardians of the great masses a few will always think for themselves, a few who, after having themselves thrown off the yoke of immaturity, will spread the spirit of a rational appreciation for both their own worth and for each person's calling to think for himself. But it should be particularly noted that if a public that was first placed in this yoke by the guardians is suitably aroused by some of those who are altogether incapable of enlightenment, it may force the guardians themselves to remain under the yoke--so pernicious is it to instill prejudices, for they finally take revenge upon their originators, or on their descendants. Thus a public can only attain enlightenment slowly. Perhaps a revolution can overthrow autocratic despotism and profiteering or power-grabbing oppression, but it can never truly reform a manner of thinking; instead, new prejudices, just like the old ones they replace, will serve as a leash for the great unthinking mass.

Nothing is required for this enlightenment, however, except freedom; and the freedom in question is the least harmful of all, namely, the freedom to use reason publicly in all matters. But on all sides I hear: "Do not argue!" The officer says, "Do not argue, drill!" The tax man says, "Do not argue, pay!" The pastor says, "Do not argue, believe!" (Only one ruler in the World says, "Argue as much as you want and about what you want, but obey!") In this we have examples of pervasive restrictions on freedom. But which restriction hinders enlightenment and which does not, but instead actually advances it? I reply: The public use of one's reason must always be free, and it alone can bring about enlightenment among mankind; the private use of reason may, however, often be very narrowly restricted, without otherwise hindering the progress of enlightenment. By the public use of one's own reason I understand the use that anyone as a scholar makes of reason before the entire literate world. I call the private use of reason that which a person may make in a civic post or office that has been entrusted to him. Now in many affairs conducted in the interests of a community, a certain mechanism is required by means of which some of its members must conduct themselves in an entirely passive manner so that through an artificial unanimity the government may guide them toward public ends, or at least prevent them from destroying such ends. Here one certainly must not argue, instead one must obey. However, insofar as this part of the machine also regards himself as a member of the community as a whole, or even of the world community, and as a consequence addresses the public in the role of a scholar, in the proper sense of that term, he can most certainly argue, without thereby harming the affairs for which as a passive member he is partly responsible. Thus it would be disastrous if an officer on duty who was given a command by his superior were to question the appropriateness or utility of the order. He must obey. But as a scholar he cannot be justly constrained from making comments about errors in military service, or from placing them before the public for its judgment. The citizen cannot refuse to pay the taxes imposed on him; indeed, impertinent criticism of such levies, when they should be paid by him, can be punished as a scandal (since it can lead to widespread insubordination). But the same person does not act contrary to civic duty when, as a scholar, he publicly expresses his thoughts regarding the impropriety or even injustice of such taxes. Likewise a pastor is bound to instruct his catecumens and congregation in accordance with the symbol of the church he serves, for he was appointed on that condition. But as a scholar he has complete freedom, indeed even the calling, to impart to the public all of his carefully considered and well-intentioned thoughts concerning mistaken aspects of that symbol, as well as his suggestions for the better arrangement of religious and church matters"

I just found the whole read to be very exciting lol. Well, tag! Your turn.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Favorite philosophers?

Unknown philosopher: "When in doubt, knock em out."

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

tyler durden

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Douglas Adams or Alan Moore for me!

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

douglas adams and terry prtchett. looking at the world in a way so skewed it ends up perfectly straight.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Actually Plato was (so-called) a student of Socrates.

Socrates never wrote down any of his philosophy and all the works attributed to him are chronicled by Plato. Many scholars think that a lot of his stuff isn't really his, it's actually Plato's philosophy that he himself credited to his famous teacher to capitalize on his name.

But I always say, don't hate the plato, hate the game.

Personally I'm a big nietzsche fan. just off hand, here's one of his aphorisms that comes to mind:

"Even co-habitation has been corrupted - by marriage."

"God is dead" - Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

I dislike socrates just for his view on women. He has seen them as a baby-making objects. So wise but so blinded

Goethe:

An unused life is an early death.

Be above it! Make the world serve your purpose, but do not serve it.

Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward; they may be beaten, but they may start a winning game.

Few people have the imagination for reality.

He only earns his freedom and his life who takes them every day by storm.

In nature we never see anything isolated, but everything in connection with something else which is before it, beside it, under it and over it.

It seems to never occur to fools that merit and good fortune are closely united.

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid.

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

Voltaire:

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge.

One merit of poetry few persons will deny: it says more and in fewer words than prose.

Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare the truth thou hast, that all may share; be bold, proclaim it everywhere: they only live who dare.

+ Reply to Thread