+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yahoo Scam

Default Yahoo Scam

I thought I would warn everyone that there is some fuck out there trying to steal people's log in info by sending them to a geocities link.

You'll get this from your friends most likely. If you go to the link it will tell you something about looking at a photo album. You have to be 18 or older to go there and you need to enter your log in info to show youre 18 up. Well, it's not a real log in page, it's someone's page and will get your username and password if you enter it.

If you're on your messanger, you will then be kicked out saying you have logged in at a different location. If you don't make a mad dash for your email account to change your password, your hacker friend will, and that will be the end of your email account. He also sends all your friends the same bulk message with the link, so he can get more usernames.

Be careful and spread the word. I almost got mine stolen, but was lucky. My friends, on the other hand, were not.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Yahoo Scam

Thanks, will let people know. Geoshitties is not the best to be tho, anyways.

OEC

Well, the only reason I went there is because a girl from a Chicago magazine sent it to me, so I thought it was pertaining to the magazine. The link said it was a photo album, so I thought maybe the photographer who did the shoot for the magazine sent her the photos. Well, that wasn't the case and yeah it just sucks.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Geoshitties = Junk food and scam artists unwilling or unable to fork over 10$ to buy a domain. Sorry about your friends. I'd honestly avoid the entire domain.

OEC

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    You'll get this from your friends most likely. If you go to the link it will tell you something about looking at a photo album. You have to be 18 or older to go there and you need to enter your log in info to show youre 18 up. Well, it's not a real log in page, it's someone's page and will get your username and password if you enter it.

it's a technique called Phishing. it's also done with bank accounts; people get an email supposedly from their bank, saying "we need to check your login details, please go here (link) and sign in." and they're directed to a page that collects their passwords.

it works, some of the time, or they wouldn't be doing it. although when you live in Australia and you get an email about your Bank of Hong Kong account...

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Geoshitties = Junk food and scam artists unwilling or unable to fork over 10$ to buy a domain. Sorry about your friends. I'd honestly avoid the entire domain.

OEC
    I had geocities, and still do, and it sucked. I hated it. My options were EXTREMELY limited (it being a free account and what not). Last summer I got a new webhosting comp - 1&1 they're great. Anyways - I'm also sorry about your friends. Phishing is a horrible tactic used against gullible and not so gullible people. I am a gullible person in the real world... but online I'm freakin safe and not gullible...

This one time my friend told me "They took gullible out of the dictionary" I said "What??? Why!?!" hahaha good times. Wow I got off topic, I blame my ADD.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    it's a technique called Phishing. it's also done with bank accounts; people get an email supposedly from their bank, saying "we need to check your login details, please go here (link) and sign in." and they're directed to a page that collects their passwords.

it works, some of the time, or they wouldn't be doing it. although when you live in Australia and you get an email about your Bank of Hong Kong account...
    Wow, that just sounds like a scam, especially since your bank has access to all that info, anyway. On yahoo, they made it look like you were going to see a photo album with adult pictures in it, so you had to log in proving you're 18 or older. You wouldn't have noticed it wasn't yahoo unless you looked up at the link bar to see it wasn't login.yahoo.com.

Yeah, I have heard about this happening on other sites, and never expected to fall for it.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil

I get regular e-mails telling me that my bank account details must be verified. Not that I've everheard of the First National Bank of the Everglades or similar. Over here if there is a problem we get a telephone call or a letter from the local branch who oversee our online accounts (unless it's Postbank, that is) and can pop in anytime to check things out.

Do people still fall for those tricks? Well, yes. In my local paper today is a report of a woman from Bremen who went along with the Nigerian Scam, honestly believing that the Liberian leader wanted to use her and her husband's expertise and bank account to purchase 20 million in stocks and shares. The difference here is that the people doing the fraud met with her face to face (twice) and she managed to get suspicious ( ) when, at the second meeting and the second handing over of money, they demanded even more money to smooth the way for a cash transfer. The fraudsters got one year gaol time, and she lost about 35.000 Euro.

ravenofdeath's Avatar Lord of Death

Thanks for the info. I will tell my friends. They might want to know. And I thank you again.

+ Reply to Thread