+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chomsky

eat-my-stockings's Avatar Member

Default Chomsky

Can anyone tell what they think about Chomsky, his work and the like.

Personally, I love the guy and think he's an absolute genius but I was wondering what everyone else thought.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Chomsky

haha. craziness, like five minutes ago I read your profile and thought it was cool that you were into chomsky. I like that he's like a super genuis mr. smart guy PHD and he's an anarchist, whereas most people think that anarchists are kids that buy red A's at hot topic and say "fuck the system" because they are full of teenage angst.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Laughable to the point of death itself. I'm not his target audience though so it matters little, he's the kind of "genius" that appeals to the college kids and those eternally stuck in the mindset everything is everyone elses fault. I don't think he's an idiot or a fool mind you...he's a master of language and knows how to use it. That I resepct about him...but his actual work I just can't take seriously. Numerous people I know love the guy...but I've always felt you put what you believe in into some form of action...and all they do is quote the guy to me like they do Nietzsche...a lot of "smart" talk that goes nowhere fast with these people.

Chomsky for me is not a real person but an institution to both his university, publishers, and himself...a brand name to rally behind in terms of U.S. Foreign Policy and whatever the hell else he feels needs to be brought to the attention of those who already buy into anything he says.

That style of thought and community is like intellectual incest...it fucks itself for it's own enjoyment no matter the "special" offspring it may birth...I'm all for questioning and thought...but not if you're only gonna take it from one side or in this case...one person.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I don't think he's an idiot or a fool mind you...he's a master of language and knows how to use it.
    so in other word your saying he is a Master Debator
    sorry someone had to say it

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I agree with some of the things he says and i disagree with others I like watching his lectures more than reading the stuff he writes.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Laughable to the point of death itself. I'm not his target audience though so it matters little, he's the kind of "genius" that appeals to the college kids and those eternally stuck in the mindset everything is everyone elses fault. I don't think he's an idiot or a fool mind you...he's a master of language and knows how to use it. That I resepct about him...but his actual work I just can't take seriously. Numerous people I know love the guy...but I've always felt you put what you believe in into some form of action...and all they do is quote the guy to me like they do Nietzsche...a lot of "smart" talk that goes nowhere fast with these people.

Chomsky for me is not a real person but an institution to both his university, publishers, and himself...a brand name to rally behind in terms of U.S. Foreign Policy and whatever the hell else he feels needs to be brought to the attention of those who already buy into anything he says.

That style of thought and community is like intellectual incest...it fucks itself for it's own enjoyment no matter the "special" offspring it may birth...I'm all for questioning and thought...but not if you're only gonna take it from one side or in this case...one person.

I tend to agree, as a linguist he is undeniably a genius. But his "left" sided views don't appeal to me. I'm not a fan of speaking politics so i'll leave it at that.

p.s. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And if you ask anyone else, your's stinks.

chomsky's full of matters
    I read some of his books >>deterring democracy<< was great!
    and saw 2 movies about him. he's like michael moore for grown ups, i think, with historical detailed facts nobody else comes up with instead of gonzo methods.

Yeah, he's brilliant.
    He gave me a hand-job in a Burger King bathroom.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Tequila said it best....I really do appreciate you mind sir

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

if you want more isnightful stuff, I find harpers suffices for me....

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

In the field of linguistics, Chomsky has been largely debunked. I find him a brilliant but clownish figure.
    TZ said it pretty well beyond that (I'm also not his target audience at this point in my life)

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah you are right TZ, all the people that listen to him are people that allready beleive what he has to say in the first place. all the people that don't like him are republicans (aka. assholes) that will write off anything that they think is "left-wing" or "liberal", which is anything that they don't agree with, regaurdless of whether it's a fact or not. cuz it's easy to pretend like things are black and white and use it as an excuse for not being able to back up your oppinion when someone proves you wrong. the rest of the people just don't give a shit.

+ Reply to Thread