+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Californian motorists drunk on herbal tea

and your little dog too

Default Californian motorists drunk on herbal tea

SAN FRANCISCO [AP] California prosecutors are cracking down on kava-drinking motorists who are driving under the intoxicating influence of the herbal tea.

Following their first successful conviction in June, San Mateo County prosecutors have filed three other cases, after about a dozen motorists had been pulled over in recent years, said San Mateo Deputy District Attorney Chris Feasel.

Kava, while not considered as a drug by federal health officials, is classified by the US Food and Drug Administration as a nutritional supplement that can be used to relieve anxiety.

Motorists under the influence of Kava had a "thousand-yard stare", Feasel said. "They're drooling on themselves sometimes, their motor function is so bad," he added.

He said that police had pulled over kava-addled motorists who were swerving, veering into other lanes and drifting onto the road's shoulder.

"Kava basically has the opposite effect of alcohol," Feasel said. "Kava affects your motor skills before it affects your mental abilities."

The June conviction is believed to be only the second successful one in the country, following a 1996 case in Utah.

In the pending cases, motorists have admitted to drinking between 10 to 20 bowls of the bitter tea, which comes from the kava root, a member of the black pepper family.

"We're cracking down on DUI drivers," Feasel said. "Whether it's driving under the influence of kava, or a good merlot or Advil, you're going to be prosecuted."

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Californian motorists drunk on herbal tea

If the effect is really that bad then they have a good point...last thing you need is a person without control over themselves in a speeding car....especially in CA.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I've taken kava kava *after* a car accident to help with muscle spasms, but actually I think it is reasonable to consider someone who has taken a lot of kava kava under the influence. At very very high doses, it can cause hallucinatory vision blips. I've taken enough when in a lot of pain to cause slight oddities around the corners of my vision. I have never taken enough to drool on myself. I understand that fresh kava as can be acquired in Hawaii can be a whole other much more intense experience.

Oh and I can't stand tea, so I am talking about capsules. Not really sure what the tea bowl equivilent would be.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG

Oh and I can't stand tea, so I am talking about capsules. Not really sure what the tea bowl equivilent would be.
    I would imagine it more potent...depending on how it was made of course.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I've heard that the fresh stuff actually numbs your mouth.

Are teas from dried plants generally more potent than capsules of the same thing?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I've heard that the fresh stuff actually numbs your mouth.

Are teas from dried plants generally more potent than capsules of the same thing?
    Actually they can be...but it really depends on how well they are kept and prepared. I remember visiting a chinese tea shop that had quite a ritual in preparing it's dried (and fresh) teas...especially it's more medicinal ones. I was surprised what a punch they packed and can see why they are so popular. Made me a beliver in the notion old methods may sometimes surpass even our more modern ways of administering things.

Capsules tend to be constructed to slowly release their contents as well...that's kinda the main reasons doctors do not like people to break their medication or crush it...you screw up the deliver process into your body that way.

But you know it's all about moderation...you pop enough of anything and the effect will be potent.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

after 10-20 bowls??? the person isn't suffering from the effects of kava they are trying to drive while doing the pee-pee dance.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

actually steeping a drug almost always makes it more potent especially if the psychoactive substance is activated by heat i.e. the THC in marijuana or the stuff in wormswood thats why if you make tea out of the stems of marijuana buds it will give you a buzz

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

the potency can be altered alot depending on how it was dried (natural drying keeps it strong, oven drying weakens it), also how long it has been kept, many plants become stronger as they sit, also what part of the plant it came from, roots being the strongest and leaves and flowers being the weakest. also where it came from and what time in the season, and what the weather has been like.

there accually are alot of variables to consider when talking about the potency

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i think im going to have to get some of this kava kava i've seen a few times ,but not being a big tea kinda guy i didn't think twice.but hey "intoxicating,and did i hear huliccinagenic(damn i fuck that word up ,sorry) maby i can come up with a super concentrated formula(i see a day-off work project in the works here i report with results,hahah)

+ Reply to Thread