+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dubtitled

Default Dubtitled

So my new Netflix movie came in today and its the russian vampire movie "Night Watch". I havent watched it yet but its one of those double sided DVD's. One side is the widescreen russian version and the other is the english version.

The english version is dubbed over.

So do you rather like dubbed over or original audio with subtitles?

Personally i dont mind either, but having to read subtitles makes me miss most of the footage of the film.

Default Re: Dubtitled

funny movie
    most of time I haven't had any idea of what they're doing and I prefer original version

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't mind, as long as the dubbing doesn't suck. personally I really don't care, although I know some people want to see it in the original language. I usually watch it with english subtitles, on account of I end up missing half the stuff they say in movies anyway, and I watch them at 3 am and can't blast the soundtrack.

Mother Superior

I prefer original audio with subtitles.

I defiantely preferred dubbed, unless the dubbing is god-awful.
    I find it annoying to have to look at the bottom of the screen and also at the picture. Even after watching a lot of sub over the years I still prefer dubbed.

vulfgrl's Avatar Tainted

I read pretty fast, and I've watched quite a few subtitled movies, so it doesn't bother me. Sometimes dubbing is too distracting if it's done badly.

xOutxOfxStepx's Avatar Junior Member

I watch a lot of Korean cinema, and I have to say, in most cases subtitling is a better option for me. It's difficult to get voices in dubbing that correspond to the actors well. I don't mind dubbing if it's done well, but if it's done poorly it can ruin a movie for me sometimes.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I hate watching dubbed movies, ven if its done by competent voice actors, having the audio not sync up with the actors is horrbily distracting for me, plus im really used to reading subtitles.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Usually, I'll watch it dubbed first, then watch is subtitled the second time I watch it. This way, I don't have to concentrate on reading the subtitles as much since I already know the jist of what is being said.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I absolutely have to say subtitles. I watch alot of anime, and while most of the dub voices are good, the subtitles are better, because they often say more, and not just loose interpretations in english. I noticed this particularly with the cowboy beebop series and the movie as well, but others like SKU (RGU) are pretty close to the subtitling. It makes me want to learn Japanese.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    I prefer original audio with subtitles.
    ditto. usually, things get misse din translation. I watch alot of anime that has buded and subtitle options to it and youd be amazed how much stuff changes form the dubbing to the subtitling. its a real trip to watch dubbed and subtitled so you canr eally see the differences.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    So my new Netflix movie came in today and its the russian vampire movie "Night Watch". I havent watched it yet but its one of those double sided DVD's. One side is the widescreen russian version and the other is the english version.

The english version is dubbed over.

So do you rather like dubbed over or original audio with subtitles?

Personally i dont mind either, but having to read subtitles makes me miss most of the footage of the film.
    Russian and Ukrainian subtitles are notoriously inaccurate. I doubt dubbing would be any better. I'd go with the subtitles but watch both to pick up the subtleties.

OEC

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

subtitles if it's a language I can mostly understand.. I'm crap at concentrating on the screen (easily distracted, hell....must be a man...) so if I can follow it without watching every frame I'm happy. If it's Serbo-Croat vegan psychothriller then you're gonna have to dub it - but for the love of god please use people with inappropriate vocal intonation. A 6ft vampire butcher is way more fun with a Will and Grace voiceover.

Oh, and thanks Voltaire.. now I'm stuck picturing you as an animé character *wink*

mG

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Oh, and thanks Voltaire.. now I'm stuck picturing you as an animé character *wink*

mG
    Yay! I always wanted to be one!
    You should see me at work when I wear my japanese schoolgirl uniform. Because of the way I wear it, and the way I do my makeup, I really do look like one then........ I've got several school uniforms(5 different ones). I have a rather serious fascination with them. I collect them..........

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    Yay! I always wanted to be one!
    You should see me at work when I wear my japanese schoolgirl uniform. Because of the way I wear it, and the way I do my makeup, I really do look like one then........ I've got several school uniforms(5 different ones). I have a rather serious fascination with them. I collect them..........
    Now, this I'd like to see.

I usually check the subtitling versus dubbing on my anime every once in awhile, by having the audio track be in English with the subtitling on. I'm sometimes amazed at what changes are/aren't made.

Cowboy Bebop. Must find boxed set.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

AC Fansubs' "Team Jungle Fever" did an excellent fansub of "Jungle Wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu". they took the time to explain some of the language in-jokes, the font was easy to read and at one point - where the villagers were singing their traditional "good-bye" song to Weda-chan - the text appeared over the heads of whoever was singing at the time.

i had to google to find out what a "Teru-teru-bouzo" was, though.

+ Reply to Thread