+ Reply to Thread

Thread: growing up odd

Skerianne's Avatar Junior Member

Default growing up odd

i found out one of my friends is going to have a baby. she is punk/goth and in college. besides how she is going to care for the child. another common question has surfaced.

"will you rise you kid to be goth?"

i was wondering if there anyone out there with kids or planning to have kids. will you rise your child to be alternative?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Default Re: growing up odd

I would think that children are going to be raised in whatever manner the parents live their lifestyle. It doesn't make anything better or worse because when they get older they'll make their own decisions on how they want to live anyway.

My friend is a tattoo artist and bass player and has full custody of his son. His son is like 4 now and has a mohawk (which looks fucking awesome on him) and wears a lot of black, but it perfectly normal. He hangs around the tattoo parlor a lot and bangs his head to punk and metal, but he's very polite, says ma'am and sir, doesn't interrupt people during conversations and is well behaved.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

for some reason when i hear 'goth baby' i keep thinking of that craig ferguson comedy for stoners skit: "goth baby vs. emo baby"

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I have goth friends who have kids, and when they were younger, they did not always like all of their parent's interests. But as they are getting closer to teenage years, they are getting more and more happy to share a lot of the same interests with their parents. Like their little boy sits with his dad and plays video games and RPG stuff. And the little girl has started wanting to dress more goth, and likes some of the music and stuff. So it all depends. Some kids will probably rebel, and want to be "normal". But other kids are totally into all that stuff, and think it's fun. I also think it helps that my friends are more into the "Nightmare Before Xmas" kind of goth life, not so much cutters, or violent mansonites, etc... Like they took their kids with a bunch of us to a midnight showing of Coraline. And the kids loved it. So it all depends. I just can't see "pretending" to be some conservative soccer mom, when that's not your nature...

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I believe, since I actually have a kid, that kids should be raised as neutral as can be. Let them formulate what they want to be. I don't push any of my "likes" on my kid. To do so, then I'd be just like my dad. Fuck that. What he decideds on liking is up to him. WHAT he decides on liking is fine by me. He's just as much as an individual as me and he gets to live his life (And full reprecussions of said choices) just like I have grown to do.....Except not having to deal with my parents "pushings" like I did.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Heather and I, together and separately, have raised Matthew to be Matthew! He knows he can be whatever he wants to be when he grows up, and even as he grows up, and his mind is open enough to accept as wide a range of ideas as we could prepare him for. Any other offspring I may eventually decide to produce shall be raised likewise.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

If I ever have kids there going to be exposed to my intrests.
    Not much I could do about it, but I wont force them to like it.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i'm trying to raise mine as flamingly gay as possible.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Aren't we all a little odd? Even the people that seem so 'normal'?

ojo's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Aren't we all a little odd? Even the people that seem so 'normal'?
    yes we are,

toxicat's Avatar catty member

It's always so cute to see them dressed like their parents and beaming and loving it.
    If they don't like it, they'll eventually rebel.

+ Reply to Thread