+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toothpaste makes me sick...

Exiled

Default Toothpaste makes me sick...

So whenever i watch TV, the adverts are all like

“Hydro-triple action oxygen toothpaste formula”
    and then they show a beautiful women with a beautiful man in a perfect house with a perfect car.

What is wrong with people??? What is sexy about toothpaste? Do ugly people in unhappy marriages think that the “OXI-ACTION” will give them perfect skin and a husband with a perfectly toned muscle definition? Or is it all just a parody?

All I know is that when I go the supermarket to buy toothpaste I just buy the cheapest one I can find, its amazing the shit they try to sell you, and why the fuck is toothpaste so expensive? I never asked for packaging with 21 fucking diagrams explaining how the oxygen bubbles remove plague with a trademarked formula leaving my gums protected for 36 1/2 hours.

And fucking Shaving foam adds and Razors for men? Quit showing fucking racing cars and army jets flying across the screen, we’re men, not boys!

Sorry for the rant….but I just don’t get it…..

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Toothpaste makes me sick...

they need to make penis enlarging toothpaste i can just imagine the adds for that now

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    they need to make penis enlarging toothpaste i can just imagine the adds for that now
    That'd be an interesting ad.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

In all honesty...if you have fucked up teeth women WILL notice...many will. The imagery is just to re-enforce the notion that the better you present yourself the more fun you will have...and to a large extent it is true.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

that's why i don't use that shit.......yea that's it..........

(i have a reason now )

eat-my-stockings's Avatar Member

Penis Enlarging Toothpaste? I'll get on to that and let you know when the lab comes up with something *cackle* Think of the revenue!!

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    The imagery is just to re-enforce the notion that the better you present yourself the more fun you will have...and to a large extent it is true.
    oh come onnn.....toothpaste doesnt make ugly poor people into beautiful rich people. Its ridiculous.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Pin
    oh come onnn.....toothpaste doesnt make ugly poor people into beautiful rich people. Its ridiculous.
    Well if you're an ugly poor person...you probably won't be watching that commercial anyhow..or be inspired by it. So you ever stop to think you're viewing this in a totally misguided way?

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

did you know that toothpaste is slowly killing us all??

its made of poison!

Exiled

Well if you're an ugly poor person...you probably won't be watching that commercial anyhow..or be inspired by it. So you ever stop to think you're viewing this in a totally misguided way?
    poor people usually have TVs. Its not a big deal. I just don't see how toothpaste adverts should be "inspirational" in the first place.

I think its a lot more misguided to watch TV. without questioning it. You learn to take ridiculous pieces of advertising like this for granted. Everything is being sold as something its not, air fresheners which will give you the perfect home, toothpaste which gives you the perfect body, Deodorant which makes you a sports star, Washing powder which makes you desirable. The point of my post was, "who the fuck buys a certain brand of toothpaste because they see it advertised on TV." Who buys deodorant just because Calvin Klein employed a supermodel to spray himself in a 20 second add? they are the misguided ones

Hula Hoop Supervisor

poor people usually have TVs. Its not a big deal. I just don't see how toothpaste adverts should be "inspirational" in the first place.

I think its a lot more misguided to watch TV. without questioning it. You learn to take ridiculous pieces of advertising like this for granted. Everything is being sold as something its not, air fresheners which will give you the perfect home, toothpaste which gives you the perfect body, Deodorant which makes you a sports star, Washing powder which makes you desirable. The point of my post was, "who the fuck buys a certain brand of toothpaste because they see it advertised on TV." Who buys deodorant just because Calvin Klein employed a supermodel to spray himself in a 20 second add? they are the misguided ones
    Are they? That's the whole point of advertising after all...to get you to buy and stay with that product. It's more misguided to take TV so seriously...but that's a topic unto itself.

Still...some advertising works better than others...like that latest one with Paris Hilton washing a car in a bathing suit...I totally forget what fast food place it's for but it sure does make me want a blond in a bikini washing my car...and how can that be a bad thing?

Exiled

Are they? That's the whole point of advertising after all...to get you to buy and stay with that product. It's more misguided to take TV so seriously...but that's a topic unto itself.

Still...some advertising works better than others...like that latest one with Paris Hilton washing a car in a bathing suit...I totally forget what fast food place it's for but it sure does make me want a blond in a bikini washing my car...and how can that be a bad thing?
    Paris Hilton is sexy....ummm....

oh its not a bad thing at all, but if you started to frequent the fast food joint that it was advertising solely on that basis then that would be pretty stupid dont you think?

Granted the object of advertising isnt just to make people want to go out and buy their product but to keep the brand image alive. Its cool that you don't take TV. seriously but presumably some people somewhere are being effected otherwise why would the companys put so much money into the advertisement costs? The point is that if nobody remembers the name of the toothpaste being advertised and if nobody admits to going out and buying toothpaste because of its sexy advert then why do companies pay for such stupid & forgetable adverts in the first place? Its submininal?? Well not for me it aint...and not for anyone else i know...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Paris Hilton is sexy....ummm....

oh its not a bad thing at all, but if you started to frequent the fast food joint that it was advertising solely on that basis then that would be pretty stupid dont you think?

Granted the object of advertising isnt just to make people want to go out and buy their product but to keep the brand image alive. Its cool that you don't take TV. seriously but presumably some people somewhere are being effected otherwise why would the companys put so much money into the advertisement costs? The point is that if nobody remembers the name of the toothpaste being advertised and if nobody admits to going out and buying toothpaste because of its sexy advert then why do companies pay for such stupid & forgetable adverts in the first place? Its submininal?? Well not for me it aint...and not for anyone else i know...

I dunno if I would honestly call her sexy...I just like the imagery of the commercial. It's playfully silly.

Advertising does affect us without question really. It's a strong factor that more than anything determins what we purchase. I wouldn't say it's intentionaly subliminal but it can be almost subconcious in so far as what it triggers in people. I may not take TV all that seriously but I am effected by it and have made my peace with it...advertising is pretty much everywhere in our waking world so it's nearly impossible NOT to be effected by it. What we do have is the control of how far we let it guide and influence us...and that's tricky for just about everyone.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

ok so heres all i've learnt for my media studies exam on advertising "brands dont sell products they sell lifestlyes" however because we are a media literate generation haveing always grown up with tv and advertising we no longer belive that by buying the correct toothpaste you will have a successful marriage hense your rant about toothpaste advertising.
    now if someone could please tell me why i would want to buy that damn fucking crazy frog ringtone

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

ALL advertisements try to subliminally tell you that if you use their product, you will be just like all the hot, rich, successful, cool people, who also use the product... It could be anything... And it does not have to relate. All they need to do, is show people having a great time, in cool cars, cool clothes, with hot people, while they brush their teeth. And people will think that if they want to be cool too, they should buy the product. Alcohol and cigarette advertising are the best at this... Because they can't advertise how well their product gets you drunk, or how buzzed it gets you. So they show how much fun people who use it are having. And how cool people who use it are...

+ Reply to Thread